Training with "weaker" partner

Having ridden with a weaker partner for a long time, I can honestly tell you that you are pretty much stuffed, only sensible solution is to get a group of coupled and let the stronger riders ride together(challenging each other) and let the weaker partners ride at a slower pace....

Must organise for you guys to come ride with my group sometime

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am experienced in this situation, wherever possible let her learn to hang onto your pocket. You will both get stronger. If there are single track climbs, race to the top and come down to fetch her. Win/Win

This bit is scary, can just imagine the head-on collision and the fight thereafter!!!

I hang onto my partners pocket when I need to in a race and the only people who get upset are the one's you go past up a climb ;-)

Auntie you are such a machine many of us on the hub would need to hang onto your pocket.

Auntie you are such a machine many of us on the hub would need to hang onto your pocket.

Or train harder just to be able to give you a little nudge on your bum...

Or train harder just to be able to give you a little nudge on your bum...

Now ya talking Chunks

Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I ride together. We are both new to MTBing. She is a lot smaller and weaker than I am. I don't want to leave her behind, and let any stranger dangers or lions eat her up... so I tend to go slow and never really ride hard.

When I go riding with my friends they go ham and I can't keep up.

How can I train with my girlfriend, stick close to her, but still build some strength and endurance?

Hey, I haven't read the whole thread, but I've been in a similar place and have even done long ride like j2c and transbaviaans with my wife. In other words, long training which we had to do together at her pace.

1) work out a training plan. I found I enjoyed doing high intensity intervals on the trainer and LSD rides with the wife on the week ends. Generally my hard trainer sessions were enough that I welcomed the slower pace.

2) Places like hekpoort were great for long training, because I would do the climb over and over again.

3) Get her girlfriends involved. If you have "common couple" friends, the boys can ride together and girls can ride together (as long as the area is safe)

4) I would ride to emerentia over northcliff while she drove there, to ride the spriut.

When riding with my kids I used to take the little Racetec velcro ankle strap and strap it around my brake lever so that my brakes were dragging the whole time. That way I could push my HR whilst riding quite slowly. It works.

Now I just ride a SS

hahaha, good old Travis. Ever supportive of the weaker sex and offering to ride with them. ;)

I'm Not sure if this is a wise suggestion since we are both new - but when my brother rides with me he puts weights in his Camelbak. he Also rides on a much higher gear uphill - then, he either waits for me or rides back to me. :-/

When I ride with my folks in races I end up with both of them holding a pocket. If you get overtaken by us then there is some motivation for you to train a little more. Nobody complained because on the flat I sat on the front and helped the bunch along :P

I think I have mentioned this before, but hubby went out of his way to get me to improve, 2e half of last year he happily gave up some of his form to help me improve, before that I had ridden now and then. So we came up with a plan, small milestones at my pace, after a couple of months I started improving a bit, now we are almost at the same level.. he still drops me on the descents, but I give it to him and the extra 30kg he has on me :ph34r: cause surely he can't be all that more better than me with the technical descents :whistling: can only be the weight ha ha ha.. no jokes, he is bad ass on the downhills.

In the beginning I told him, man go ride with a buddy that is as strong as you and his reply was, no mtbing is something he wants to do with me. I am glad he stuck it out with me, cause the riding is our time, the only time that it's just the 2 of us, no kids no work worries, just us, some times we can ride 5hrs and hardly say a word to each other, but it's time together.

I have however encouraged him that when we do do these 1day races and he is feeling great and me not so much he must go ride it at his pace, I will get to the finish eventually, and if anything happens someone will help me out.