Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time I state on this forum I am going to build a bike from a combo of bits, somebody please shoot me.  An entire weekend just to fit a rear mudguard, and yesterday afternoon I threw it off and started from scratch! We'll get there.....

The pic is of the old mudguard - just doesn't look right.

At least the tank will look ok I think!

post-15215-0-68973700-1500274021_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-58852600-1500274041_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-06132800-1500274109_thumb.jpg

I quite like that mudguard on the bike, so hard to make decisions on custom builds that may have so many implications for how the rest of the build fits.

When you get stumped always better to leave it under a cover for a few days and start again when your mind is refreshed.

I quite like that mudguard on the bike, so hard to make decisions on custom builds that may have so many implications for how the rest of the build fits.

When you get stumped always better to leave it under a cover for a few days and start again when your mind is refreshed.

That's pretty much what I did - left it and worked on the front forks which need to be dropped slightly.  Once I had done those I went back to the rear mudguard.

Problem is that back in the 60's when they would have built one of these to race, it would have been all practicality, zero attention to detail and that rear mudguard would have been fine. Now though, with all the 60's dirt tracker replicas being built, the attention to detail is exceptional, and you really have no choice but to get it absolutely perfect.

This should be a great experience!!

It was, and also a difficult ride. Some parts of the descent I walked the bike in first gear, engine off, controlling my progress with the clutch. I am lucky to have many awesome roads around me to enjoy on my little green Fugly. Swartburg Pass, Prince Alfred Pass, Kamanasie Road, Seven Passes, all in my area.

post-52292-0-69584400-1500316838_thumb.jpg

Some of the beautiful views, this toward Cradock Peak.

The Voortrekker Historic Pass again. To think the original traffic was ox wagons in the 1770s

post-52292-0-03680300-1500317065_thumb.png

Edited by Spokey

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to Johannesburg this weekend to ride the new Kyalami layout. Was an incredible day out. Various lap views in my YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwWGcvqBis0

How do like the track?

I enjoy it a lot. I was at the Motorcycle Festivals this year and last. Not the same as a track day or racing but I luckily had two great sessions on a Yammie MT09 with a cool marshall fellow that allowed a decent pace. Last year my best sessions were on a BM 1200 RS boxer and the Africa Twin of all things!

Mission impossible to find gaskets for a motomia. 

Do not despair. You have two alternatives (Well three actually...)

1. Find an industrial gasket supplier. They will manufacture to what you require. You will however need to give them a sample to work from. They can suggest a suitable material.

2. Go to your local auto spares shop and buy a piece of Flexoid gasketing about twice the size of the gasket that you are trying to replace. (Twice as big in case you **** up the first attempt ;) ) Either trace the outline and cut with scissors or a sharp craft knife or tap the profile off of the part where the gasket sits CAREFULLY with a small ball pein hammer.

3. Go to your local motorcycle mechanic and ask him to do it for you

That is of course if it is a standard type gasket...

Another option is Loctite 518 Gasket Eliminator or their 5699 Grey sealant. The Grey Sealant solved an oil leak on the sump of one of my cars after I had very little success with an OEM gasket replacement