Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

That MT09 engine is one of best engines I have used. I rode the regular MT 09 around Kyalami a few years back at the Bike Festival. Dream engine, great sound, great performance from that tripple.

Would like to give one a go sometime. I'm seriously considering buying a big naked in a couple of years and the MT09 vs the GSX-S are currently on my short list.

If you like the MT09 and are looking for a naked, then why not go for the XSR900?  Ticks every box and sounds nuts.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crosby now sells a 400cc dual with panniers for something like 67 000.

She has the BMW F650GS Dakar in mind but I'm slowly trying to sway her towards a Suzuki DR650. Strong, reliable and low on maintenance.

If you like the MT09 and are looking for a naked, then why not go for the XSR900? Ticks every box and sounds nuts.

https://youtu.be/aO8GS8dqHo8

Have been looking at them aswell and I must say they're growing on me. I suspect there might not be many second hand options available in my price range when I'm ready to buy though. They remind me alot of my XJR I had, wasn't a Yammie fan, but this bike planted some Yammie roots in me.[emoji16]

32e343f0ba5870722b6687b66851a67e.jpg

If you like the MT09 and are looking for a naked, then why not go for the XSR900?  Ticks every box and sounds nuts.

https://youtu.be/aO8GS8dqHo8

That is a really nice bike. I have not even taken a look at them, perhaps I should. What a road though! Bouncing that thing off the rev limiter a few times I think.

I like the torque, pretty much stay in one gear. I try and ride Outeniqua Pass like that on my 83 CB750!

That XSR would be worth a test ride on the Pass.........shame there are non available in George.

As much as I would like a cool naked bike, my next bike will be an ADV bike, larger than my KLR, possibly an Africa Twin................unless a right priced low km ‘Busa finds me first!!

Have been looking at them aswell and I must say they're growing on me. I suspect there might not be many second hand options available in my price range when I'm ready to buy though. They remind me alot of my XJR I had, wasn't a Yammie fan, but this bike planted some Yammie roots in me.[emoji16]32e343f0ba5870722b6687b66851a67e.jpg

That XJR is a lovely beast, but a beast it is compared to the MT09 and its derivatives! I do bang on about the MT, I really felt it was that good. ( when I rode it) But to buy one for where I live........mmmmmmm, it really would hardly build kms, just a small bit around George.

Dedicated Outeniqua Pass scratcher, yes please! .............not sure how to get that past the Missus.

Dave Celliers certainly has the credentials. It is a good write up, but I would look for a late model KLR at around 15 to 20 grand less. Cash difference for petrol to ride!

Or kit, or soft bags, or upgrade fork springs etc.

I say this because I own one and find it to be a very capable bike, sure a bit slow on the hiway, but can do everything asked of it!. post-52292-0-77783700-1559021920_thumb.jpeg

Edited to add pic, cause I really like my little thumper!

Edited by Spokey

Yes this is really awesome. I rode the early edition around the new Kyalami track, what a hoot, but in the words of a song by Live...”confusion sets in”

About this new T700 Yammie with the MT07 engine, another gem of an engine I believe. The little bike has received great reviews and is worth a look.

The Missus has said that she is not comfortable off road as a pillion so I do not need a super powerful ADV bike, (am aware the AT is not super powerful, but it is big). This T700 seems to be like an upgraded KLR, similar size, 30 more hp, great suspension............lovely. Choices hey!

My one neighbour has a XJR400 that he bought from a friend who was converting it to a Cafe Racer and needed cash fast, so sold it off to him for 10K....damned thing looks rather decent, with just the seat to be upholstered still.......and it seems like the float is not working well as the carb can flood when standing still, but by all accounts the bike rides like a dream.

So now I am waiting for him to fix the carb, and then ride the bike and get bored of it to the point where he wants to sell :P ... maybe.

My one neighbour has a XJR400 that he bought from a friend who was converting it to a Cafe Racer and needed cash fast, so sold it off to him for 10K....damned thing looks rather decent, with just the seat to be upholstered still.......and it seems like the float is not working well as the carb can flood when standing still, but by all accounts the bike rides like a dream.

So now I am waiting for him to fix the carb, and then ride the bike and get bored of it to the point where he wants to sell :P ... maybe.

Carbs....there are 4 of them :-)

Hopefully no-one has fiddled too much with them, otherwise he's in for a lot of fun.....