Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Push slowly till you feel the compression, let the lever rise up a bit, whack it.  

If you are worried, put your foot half off the lever, if it kicks, it throws your foot off sideways.  

Anyone ever tried a motorcycle duathlon.?

It's a combination of riding and swimming.

I did an unplanned duathlon this past weekend. It was thrilling, adrenaline packed, and physically challenging.

It started off with me exploring a forestry block, about 40min north of Auckland. Loads of good hill climbs and trails in the area. While working my way back to the gravel fire roads, I found myself on an overgrown jeep track (the local 4x4 club uses the area in the summer).

There were a marshy, muddy puddles on the track, but all approximately axle deep.

Then there was that one "puddle". It was not axle deep.

It was this deep...

post-10758-0-50096600-1568670486_thumb.jpg

So once the swimming leg of my duathlon began, I felt a bit like Atreyu trying to save Artax (a Husky 450 in this case) from the Swamp of Sadness (NeverEnding Story). Hopeless and physically exhausting!

Artax-640x427.jpg

The end result was a very tired and muddy participant. A bike that had seen better days, but managed to start after tipping it upside-down and performing CPR on it. Not ideal, but I had to get home.

As an added bonus, I managed to make a 10w60 chocolate milkshake.

post-10758-0-20779800-1568672268_thumb.jpg

All-in-all, I wouldn't recommend a motorcycle duathlon for those (like myself) that have not prepared or trained for it.

Edited by patches

I did an unplanned duathlon this past weekend. It was thrilling, adrenaline packed, and physically challenging.

It started off with me exploring a forestry block, about 40min north of Auckland. Loads of good hill climbs and trails in the area. While working my way back to the gravel fire roads, I found myself on an overgrown jeep track (the local 4x4 club uses the area in the summer).

There were a marshy, muddy puddles on the track, but all approximately axle deep.

It was this deep...

attachicon.gif70126168_516996395700796_6422829978613710848_n.jpg

So once the swimming leg of my duathlon began, I felt a bit like Atreyu trying to save Artax (a Husky 450 in this case) from the Swamp of Sadness (NeverEnding Story). Hopeless and physically exhausting!

Artax-640x427.jpg

The end result was a very tired and muddy participant. A bike that had seen better days, but managed to start after tipping it upside-down and performing CPR on it. Not ideal, but I had to get home.

attachicon.gif70277257_515804995889933_8567317088060833792_n.jpg

All-in-all, I wouldn't recommend a motorcycle duathlon for those (like myself) that have not prepared or trained for it.

Damn...

Riverhead?

Push slowly till you feel the compression, let the lever rise up a bit, whack it.  

If you are worried, put your foot half off the lever, if it kicks, it throws your foot off sideways.  

exactly. People make a big thing of it, but if you're used to it and know what to do, you should be fine. 

Was hilarious to watch first timers, though. 

It was this deep...

attachicon.gif70126168_516996395700796_6422829978613710848_n.jpg

Artax-640x427.jpg

attachicon.gif70277257_515804995889933_8567317088060833792_n.jpg

I have experienced the same, but on a steel SS .... the BB refused to rotate the following day :)

Artax-640x427.jpg

I've had similar in a riverbed in Franschhoek.  I looked at the bike lying on its side under water while my body was at its most broken after fighting (hard riding) for the last few hours.  It was a tough decision between trying to get the bike out and fixing it on the side of the river or just walk away and leave it there forever  :whistling:  ^_^

Damn...

Riverhead?

Nope, Moirs Hill (just off SH1 about 10km before Warkworth). Some REALLY big hill climbs there). Loads of fun until you end up like I did.

I have experienced the same, but on a steel SS .... the BB refused to rotate the following day :)

I missed my bicycle while I was waist deep in water and mud trying to heft 120kg onto dry ground.

I've had similar in a riverbed in Franschhoek.  I looked at the bike lying on its side under water while my body was at its most broken after fighting (hard riding) for the last few hours.  It was a tough decision between trying to get the bike out and fixing it on the side of the river or just walk away and leave it there forever  :whistling:  ^_^

I hear you!

I had the exact same thought. It took me about 30min to get to get it out of the offending "puddle". For the first 20min it barely budged and I thought it was impossible. I then sat down. Composed myself for a minute or 2, and gave it one last crack.

Fortunately I got it out, but I was only able to extract it on the wrong side of the puddle. I still needed to cross the puddle to get to the fire road as I couldn't go back the way I came.

That puddle crossing, now on foot, with every step calculated so as not to repeat my previous mistake, took another 10min.

I wonder what insurance would have said if I claimed for a bike that had "returned to nature"  :ph34r: :lol:

He he Patches; not like a bloody push bike that you can just lift up eh?

I got stuck in a muddy trench on a cooking Sunday in KZN summer on a pig of a KTM 640 Adventure.  I nearly had to go an look for help and was as drained after the extraction as after just about any bicycle race.

I got stuck in a muddy trench on a cooking Sunday in KZN summer on a pig of a KTM 640 Adventure.  I nearly had to go an look for help and was as drained after the extraction as after just about any bicycle race.

hahaha! give me a 15kg heffer of an MTB anyday if extraction is the game!

450 was bad enough. Can't imagine the 640. Classic bikes those though! Do you still have it?

I got stuck in a muddy trench on a cooking Sunday in KZN summer on a pig of a KTM 640 Adventure. I nearly had to go an look for help and was as drained after the extraction as after just about any bicycle race.

I went out riding on my own to explore some tracks in the Camperdown area a while back. The dirt road went to jeeptrack and eventually to goat path. I decided to turn around and head back at a narrow section and dropped the 640. Took me a while to get it back on it's wheels. Gradient and access didn't make it any easier... I thought about phoning a mate to help but didn't want to suffer the humiliation.I don't ride on my own anymore.

hahaha! give me a 15kg heffer of an MTB anyday if extraction is the game!

450 was bad enough. Can't imagine the 640. Classic bikes those though! Do you still have it?

Yes I have. Currently undergoing some rear linkage replacements; slowly.  I have a KTM 525 as well and honestly prefer that for all but the longest trips (not that I've done one for a while; sob). At least I can pick the thing up. Your 450 is the business. Plenty local "adventure" guys have swapped to 500's as they are so much lighter and more fun, better suspended.

I see on AdvRider there is a Kiwi who has pretty much been around the world on his KTM 500. Most impressive. Has had an engine rebuild but not from necessity.

We had a bit of an off-road weekend a while back during my Yamaha days in the Newcastle area.  Most of the guys were on XT660's (the Tenere and Super Tenere hadn't been launched yet).  I chose to take a demo TT-250R.  I was ragged from the start.  Until about halfway through the Saturday when we had to ride next to a railway line covered in those small blue stones and people were dropping their bikes like flies.

And suddenly riding a 250 wasn't such a bad idea at all.  I got my revenge!

On that note, if anyone is looking for an extremely competent street-legal off-road bike which can be used to commute with fairly comfortably keep an eye out for the TT-250R.

They got a very bad rep because they were restricted when they came to SA and also very expensive because they were full Japanese imports and not cross-trade models.  But once de-restricted they really fly.  Proper suspension too.