Who else is sick at the moment?

10 minutes ago, EddieV said:

ok, so here goes, I haven't visited a doctor since 2018. Not saying I haven't felt under the weather, but not to an extent where I felt sick enough to visit a doctor. Since 2020 I haven't taken any pills either, whether capsules, fizzy pills, headache pills, vitamins, antibiotics etc. Nothing.

We do not eat any processed food, anything boxed or packaged. I understand we are fortunate to be able to do so. And it is a bit more expensive buying organic, but we don't exclusively eat organic. But the greatest change we've made is using only raw, unprocessed, unpasteurized milk and dairy products. We stay in suburban Cape town. (Ideally one day I'd like to plant my own veg 🙃, but for now while still in Cpt, we just source from wherever)

And of-course no tap-water.
Not saying I'm never going to get really sick again, but something has dramatically changed since we started using raw dairy products only. I think it has to do with the gut microbiome. 
When we do get sick, it usually passes within a week with some rest, and/or a few days' fast. 🙂

The indigenous people of South and Central Americas had this exact diet. No processed foods, only raw milk and everything grown/farmed organically. And yet, they were practically wiped out by measles, smallpox and influenza introduced by European colonisers. A good diet will not protect you from a novel virus or microbe. No matter how much kale you eat, if you catch a bad bug, you will get properly sick.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

The indigenous people of South and Central Americas had this exact diet. No processed foods, only raw milk and everything grown/farmed organically. And yet, they were practically wiped out by measles, smallpox and influenza introduced by European colonisers. A good diet will not protect you from a novel virus or microbe. No matter how much kale you eat, if you catch a bad bug, you will get properly sick.

I'm just saying what seem to have made a great difference in my health. I might keel over tomorrow from some kind of disease, but for now it seems to work for me. 

(As for your reply on the indigenous people being wiped out by measles etc ..... that is disputable, since many of them were murdered outright by the European settlers)

Disclaimer: Please do not follow my example (consuming vast  amounts of raw milk etc.) without doing your own research. 

😉

Edited by EddieV

(But the greatest change we've made is using only raw, unprocessed, unpasteurized milk and dairy products) Quote Eddie V . I supported a mate of mine who had a small dairy farm and we bought unpasteurized dairy products from him . My wife was diagnosed with Brucelossis and was hospitalized for it . I avoided it but was advised buy the Drs and dietician to not use unpasteurized dairy product .   Just on a side note i was hospitalized 5 weeks ago with a bladder infection . My wife came to visit twice and got terribly ill on the Friday . I was discharged on that Friday and on Saturday /Sunday i had the same . We were both tested positive for Covid which we got from the hospital . So fellow cyclists don't be fooled and think that that Dreaded Lurgy has left our shores because it is still about .Drs are side steeping the word Covid and call it "Upper respiratory infection " Just look a the TdF podium presentation and you will see the masks still being worn by officials . 

50 minutes ago, FirstV8 said:

(But the greatest change we've made is using only raw, unprocessed, unpasteurized milk and dairy products) Quote Eddie V . I supported a mate of mine who had a small dairy farm and we bought unpasteurized dairy products from him . My wife was diagnosed with Brucelossis and was hospitalized for it . I avoided it but was advised buy the Drs and dietician to not use unpasteurized dairy product .   Just on a side note i was hospitalized 5 weeks ago with a bladder infection . My wife came to visit twice and got terribly ill on the Friday . I was discharged on that Friday and on Saturday /Sunday i had the same . We were both tested positive for Covid which we got from the hospital . So fellow cyclists don't be fooled and think that that Dreaded Lurgy has left our shores because it is still about .Drs are side steeping the word Covid and call it "Upper respiratory infection " Just look a the TdF podium presentation and you will see the masks still being worn by officials . 

Very little testing being done for covid at the moment. (Friends in the medical game...)

Varkgriep and a bad strain of the flu seems to be the go-to "terms" for the current three-week-flu ....

VERY glad the wife and I got the flu.vax this year.  Start of June I got all the symptoms, same day as a collegue.  I was back in the saddle 8 days later, just in time for Augrabies.  Three weeks later my collegue was still sick.

Stay safe out there 

Edited by ChrisF

11 hours ago, FirstV8 said:

Really sorry to hear about your experience. Glad that your wife recovered well. We, and a few of our friends have been using raw milk exclusively for the last 3 years now, and we have not had an unfortunate event yet. But yes, you are correct, as with most organically grown/produced products, there will always be some risk attached to it. 
Probably better for me to err on the side of caution here, I don't want anyone to get ill on my advice.

It is something that everyone will need to research and weigh the risks for themselves. I might change my opinion in future, but for now I'll continue using it.

20 hours ago, EddieV said:

ok, so here goes, I haven't visited a doctor since 2018. Not saying I haven't felt under the weather, but not to an extent where I felt sick enough to visit a doctor. Since 2020 I haven't taken any pills either, whether capsules, fizzy pills, headache pills, vitamins, antibiotics etc. Nothing.

We do not eat any processed food, anything boxed or packaged. I understand we are fortunate to be able to do so. And it is a bit more expensive buying organic, but we don't exclusively eat organic. But the greatest change we've made is using only raw, unprocessed, unpasteurized milk and dairy products. We stay in suburban Cape town. (Ideally one day I'd like to plant my own veg 🙃, but for now while still in Cpt, we just source from wherever)

And of-course no tap-water.
Not saying I'm never going to get really sick again, but something has dramatically changed since we started using raw dairy products only. I think it has to do with the gut microbiome. 
When we do get sick, it usually passes within a week with some rest, and/or a few days' fast. 🙂

We live on a dairy farm, so raw milk is all that is available. Our beef grows in the back yard, 2024's beefie boy is getting good and fat, so does our veg. But we still end up at woollies more than we care to admit. Being healthy is far more than that. You can eat 100% perfectly healthy and then sit in an aircon office with 20 sick people who's kids brought home swine flu and you still going to end up sick. it is life. We have seen it on the farm, the less people interaction the lower the odds of getting sick. It is just a reality.

20 hours ago, El Duderino said:

Again, interaction with other people is the prime cause. Watch kids, 1st week of school all get sick. University koshuis is the same. People travelling on airplanes is the same, I know of someone who flew back to an African country last week knowing full well they probably had covid. Packed plane, pressurized cabin good luck with that.

14 hours ago, FirstV8 said:

I am sitting watching the state vet check our heard for TB and Brucellosis. The herd gets tested regularly and it is fairly uncommon. Your wife got really unlucky, that being said it can happen and it is really not good when it happens. That being said, once you have had real milk, you will never enjoy that slightly white water you buy in the shops. Unfortunately the regulations and the controls are failing all over. Hence the foot and mouth outbreaks last year.

The boys (3 and 6) was a bit ill over the long weekend in June.

On the Monday it escalated with a visit to "ongevalle" and subsequent hospitalization.

Note to Momentum members that also do not read the annual renewal, looking at R5 220 co-payment for lung hospitalization per child.

They came out on the Wednesday and by the Saturday, who was sick...

Myself and wife was not spare, I took two days leave to recover. Took another 7 days rest and had my first run this morning, only zone 1 and 2. 

My mother in-law (77) also got sick, very sick, she was hospitalized and we had to arrange care for her from yesterday, I am not convince she will make a recovery.

My take away, minimum two weeks, rest and please look after yourselves.

Can just add, we all had very high fever.

Myself vomiting from the fever.

Edited by DJuice
more info

what concerns me is the doctors diagnosis.

Youngest one picked up a bug on fathers day. Fever, vomiting and runs.

We took her to the doc. His diagnosis was either bad stomach bug or Swine Flu.

That worries me, surely its needs to be more specific/certain ? And why not test?

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

what concerns me is the doctors diagnosis.

Youngest one picked up a bug on fathers day. Fever, vomiting and runs.

We took her to the doc. His diagnosis was either bad stomach bug or Swine Flu.

That worries me, surely its needs to be more specific/certain ? And why not test?

Doctor is probably right. Most people tested for flu end up Having H1N1 (Swine flu) or Influenza A, both of which are in this year's flu vaccine for Southern Hemisphere. So, doc is playing the odds. But, you right...he should send for tests to confirm swine flu. 

54 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Doctor is probably right. Most people tested for flu end up Having H1N1 (Swine flu) or Influenza A, both of which are in this year's flu vaccine for Southern Hemisphere. So, doc is playing the odds. But, you right...he should send for tests to confirm swine flu. 

Sangoma rolling the bones?? Liewe mense!

GP's of today...and let me just stop there.

57 minutes ago, edgarblount said:

Sangoma rolling the bones?? Liewe mense!

GP's of today...and let me just stop there.

eggzackery

Had us worried. He gave her meds for the stomach bug, said if it did not clear after a few days we must go back so he can prescribe meds for piggy flu.

Based on the recovery it was the tummy bug

• 2 weeks later...

Got a stiff neck last week and generally felt a bit creaky. Not unsurprising as I've taken some time off the bike. Had 2 beers with dinner on Friday and woke Sat not feeling too clever. Fast forward to Sunday and I could barely get out of bed to commence my riding career (!!). Was broken for 2 days before I could see the doc... The only symptoms were pains all over. Clothes on my skin, joints, gums, even my hair!!. 

Apparently a virus... takes 14 days to clear, but if I go to the doc, it only takes 2 weeks... 

Wife and myself had/have it, H1N1 (Swine Flu), lots and lots of coughing, less nasal (snot!) symptoms than a 'normal' flu,, taking a real break from exercise, this one is a bit of a bugger!

Take it easy, Peeps.

Chris

2 hours ago, Zebra said:

Wife and myself had/have it, H1N1 (Swine Flu), lots and lots of coughing, less nasal (snot!) symptoms than a 'normal' flu,, taking a real break from exercise, this one is a bit of a bugger!

Take it easy, Peeps.

Chris

One of our contractors have been struggling with for a month already 😵

• 5 months later...

I generally come back to this thread either when I'm pleasantly surprised that I haven't been ill for a long while, or when I do fall ill!

Sadly this is the latter . . . .

I've done a lot of travelling since mid September, Back home to Spain from working in the UK over summer, a trip to the States and back (With "Wendy") and then a trip to the UK for more work before coming back home for Christmas. It seems every time I travel I get a damn cold. There are people sniffing, sneezing and coughing their way on every bus/ train/ plane I use and throughout the airports! 

I'm currently getting over a fairly tame head-cold which is turning into a cough that will last for weeks I'm sure. When we came back from the States we both had sore throats/coughs which ended up flooring us for weeks - literally couldn't get out of bed to do more than cook food, then fell asleep again. Tested negative for Covid but I'm convinced we had a variation of it! 

This seems to be widespread in Europe and the UK..... perhaps our defences are all low after 2 years of "extreme cleaning" during Covid.

1 hour ago, Bonus said:

I generally come back to this thread either when I'm pleasantly surprised that I haven't been ill for a long while, or when I do fall ill!

Sadly this is the latter . . . .

I've done a lot of travelling since mid September, Back home to Spain from working in the UK over summer, a trip to the States and back (With "Wendy") and then a trip to the UK for more work before coming back home for Christmas. It seems every time I travel I get a damn cold. There are people sniffing, sneezing and coughing their way on every bus/ train/ plane I use and throughout the airports! 

I'm currently getting over a fairly tame head-cold which is turning into a cough that will last for weeks I'm sure. When we came back from the States we both had sore throats/coughs which ended up flooring us for weeks - literally couldn't get out of bed to do more than cook food, then fell asleep again. Tested negative for Covid but I'm convinced we had a variation of it! 

This seems to be widespread in Europe and the UK..... perhaps our defences are all low after 2 years of "extreme cleaning" during Covid.

There’s an adenovirus-rhinovirus that’s swanning through several continents that is unrelated to Covid or post-covid syndrome.  Many healthcare pros are using the diagnosis term 100 days cough.  Mine was brutal with such persistent hard coughing that small pieces of my throat surface were being coughed away.  Took a few weeks afterwards for the cough to disappear fully.