Adverse Analytical Finding - in-competition test

News bot

Perhaps you are over dramatising this.

How about a fat guy decides to lose weight because he has big hills to ride, goes to Dischem and buys a tablet that guarantees rapid weight loss, he decides to buy the bottle or box because he has "big hills to ride"

He is not in the front bunch , never makes the podium and probably never heard of doping before, he gets pulled out randomly as random middle of the packers generally don't care what they take, the drug testing peeps decide they need to look good in the eye of the cycling public, take the gamble and boom, they won another battle for the cause of CYCLING.

Let's not forget, cycling is the real winner here.

Goodness me, at this rate they are going to make more and more totally oblivious yet good people look like dopers and criminals. - And quit cycling .

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The product he would have taken is Phen375, a well known diet/weight loss product.

Used to be sold in Clicks and Dischem, etc (not sure if it still is).

Pinned for taking a diet pill. What’s next, being banned for drinking too much espresso?

Years ago caffiene was on the banned list yes. So that might just have been a possibility!

Why do they only test MTB Vets and not road as well?

Just a guess, a totally random answer and speculation.

Could be that the roadie vets (some perhaps) do the real doping thing and unlike Mr. Weightloss Tablet they take masking agents and the gamble of testing them to return a negative versus Mr. Random got off the couch two or three years ago and does stuff normal people do is almost guaranteed to return a positive.

I use a handful of drugs every day ( high blood pressure, diabetics, etc ) and if someone had to come to me after a race to draw blood ,I would tell them to .....off. Surely " they " need your permission first ?

Edited by Tromp

So they don't have the budget to effectively test our pro's, but they are again testing non-competitive riders... eish :blink:

They don't have a budget to take a test that will possibly return a negative result (just my guess)

I use a handful of drugs every day ( high blood pressure, diabetics, etc ) and if someone had to come to me after a race a would tell them to .....off. Surely " they " need your permission first ?

You do a sanctioned event (day or proper license), you are subject to their rules and regs... ie testing

They don't have a budget to take a test that will possibly return a negative result (just my guess)

But how do they know Joe Average is going to test positive - it's a far larger pool?

Or do they have spies in the Dischem/Clicks sports supplement isles :ph34r:

You do a sanctioned event (day or proper license), you are subject to their rules and regs... ie testing

So you pay R35 ? per event in order to give them permission ?

@andrew how do they know ?

It's like gambling, they have to test, but they also want to show they are doing their job properly and are cleaning up the sport.

The real dopers are clever, Mr. Average like most people on this hub slips all sorts of vitamins and supplements in to their mouths without even thinking about being tested, call then a soft target, and if I was a gambling man, that's the nie I would go for to increase my odds.

Pro's should make it their business to know what they take, where as regular folk could inadvertently take something that will let him/her test positive, without ever intending to better performance.

This poor guy now gets the same ban as somebody that has taken EPO... The punishment should fit the crime IMHO