This is why cyclist are hated

Cois

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the bunch is moving even if it's only 20 km/h. There are more taxis in Gauteng than cyclist bunches so if, hypothetically speaking, a taxi stops in front of one's car will there be mega hatred? Would there then be a boycott of a certain filling station because that's where they purchased petrol?

Edited by clivem

I have always felt uncomfortable with this. If you are sitting in the car behind you don't know when you can pass because you are too far back. I don't have an answer but I think the OP has some standing on this topic due to the fact that he actually commutes. I do road and MTB and have cars and a motorbike - common sense is the best one can do for random situations but this feels like playing with the lions' balls. I have stopped doing club rides for this very reason.Not saying it is wrong. It just FEELS wrong.

I used to be a Member of Select Cycling Club (Bruce Reyneke Cycles) untill I moved to Cape Town .

In May 2004 our Saturday group was cycling in the double road leading to Fountains circle . That road has a yellow line and wide lane left of the yellow line . On that morning a young intoxicated man drove into the bunch from behind . They were left of the yellow lane .

Besides 4 seriously injured riders we buried 2 others that week . One them was Johan Bester who had 2 small children and his wife was expecting their 3rd . Johan had actually stopped cycling because it became too dangerous . When his brother who was training for the Argus was killed on his bike in the yellow lane on Polkadraai Johan started riding again to ride the Argus for his brother .

So we as a club started with defending ourselves . On weekends we paid students to drive behind us . So if they irritate you sorry that is not the intention . They only want to arrive home .

I used to be a Member of Select Cycling Club (Bruce Reyneke Cycles) untill I moved to Cape Town .

In May 2004 our Saturday group was cycling in the double road leading to Fountains circle . That road has a yellow line and wide lane left of the yellow line . On that morning a young intoxicated man drove into the bunch from behind . They were left of the yellow lane .

Besides 4 seriously injured riders we buried 2 others that week . One them was Johan Bester who had 2 small children and his wife was expecting their 3rd . Johan had actually stopped cycling because it became too dangerous . When his brother who was training for the Argus was killed on his bike in the yellow lane on Polkadraai Johan started riding again to ride the Argus for his brother .

So we as a club started with defending ourselves . On weekends we paid students to drive behind us . So if they irritate you sorry that is not the intention . They only want to arrive home .

I wrote earlier about the 'defenceless' finding ways to protect themselves.

This post is a wonderful anecdote of this.

Thanx for sharing.

Powerful reality.

Edited by ' Dale

Next time I find myself behind a group of cyclists riding abreast, I will take a deep breath, relax, slow down and wait for a safe time to pass. I will remember that they are doing something positive, mentally and physically.

I will do all this, because what I want should start with me.

Sad story. Didn't Bruce have a similar personal tragedy? Sadly we are defenceless against lawlessness. We will always lose against cars. Patience is not very prevalent in Gauteng. One should take reality in consideration. Edited by TALUS

I wrote earlier about the 'defenceless' finding ways to protect themselves.

This post is a wonderful anecdote of this.

Thanx for sharing.

Powerful reality.

I agree completely. It costs motorists nothing to have 5 minutes of patience, where the opposite can cost cyclist their lives.

Thought being on the topic of law somebody wouldve said its UNLAWFUL to drive with a phone taking pictures of cyclists....but...that would irritate the crap out of me if had to sit behind them..

Sad story. Didn't Bruce have a similar personal tragedy? Sadly we are defenceless against lawlessness. We will always lose against cars. Patience is not very prevalent in Gauteng. One should take reality in consideration.

Yes he does unfortunately. Although I never knew his son personally, I did attempt to partake in the Junior racing scene where his son was very active. It was the week before our Junior Tour where Adam had passed away at the hands of a motorist.

Although I can't remember her name, it was around the same time when one of the local woman pro riders also died on a training ride in a collision with a vehicle. +- The first half of 2010.

EDIT: I believe it was Carla Swart. But not in the same time period, it happened early 2011.

Edited by Helpmytrap

Adam Reyneke was training in the Ficksburg area when he was struck from behind by a car and died on the scene . His parents were riding their mtb's in the same area when a motorist stopped them and told them about a car hitting a cyclist down the road . They rode there to arrive on the dreadfull scene .

Yes he does unfortunately. Although I never knew his son personally, I did attempt to partake in the Junior racing scene where his son was very active. It was the week before our Junior Tour where Adam had passed away at the hands of a motorist.

Although I can't remember her name, it was around the same time when one of the local woman pro riders also died on a training ride in a collision with a vehicle. +- The first half of 2010.

EDIT: I believe it was Carla Swart. But not in the same time period, it happened early 2011.

Adam Reyneke was training in the Ficksburg area when he was struck from behind by a car and died on the scene . His parents were riding their mtb's in the same area when a motorist stopped them and told them about a car hitting a cyclist down the road . They rode there to arrive on the dreadfull scene .

Speechless

Francois, ou maat ek dink jy moet net n bietjie diep asemhaal.

This problem we seem to have in RSA of wanting to react violently when someone, perpetrates a minor ''inconvenience'', this car was keeping the cyclists safer than they would have been if they were riding in single file with cars passing at great speed in close proximity, and you see it as a reason why people want to kill cyclists?

how many cyclists are inconvenienced by motorists?

Thought being on the topic of law somebody wouldve said its UNLAWFUL to drive with a phone taking pictures of cyclists....but...that would irritate the crap out of me if had to sit behind them..

Okay. My fiancee took the picks. So stop attempting to bring your comment if you do not know who took the picks.

I know it is against the law to use your cell while driving, and just for the f ing fact, I left my phone at home.

Francois, ou maat ek dink jy moet net n bietjie diep asemhaal.

This problem we seem to have in RSA of wanting to react violently when someone, perpetrates a minor ''inconvenience'', this car was keeping the cyclists safer than they would have been if they were riding in single file with cars passing at great speed in close proximity, and you see it as a reason why people want to kill cyclists?

how many cyclists are inconvenienced by motorists?

Dude I would know the hate for cyclist. I was hit on the bike so many time. Just this morning a woman tried to take me out by driving in the yellow lane to get to Wilgers hospital. And she then told me to f off the roads.

And lets not mention the guy showing that he will put a gun to my head and pull the trigger, because I refused to pass the cyclist yesterday.

But good. Go ahead. Stoke the hate. Piss off all the impatient people.

And go on the forums out there and look how much love there is for us, the people with skinny pants and thin wheels. The MTB gang that uses the toad, riding 4 to 7 cyclist deep with no regard to the traffic. Oh and good luck to the fellow commuters. The weekend warriors do not care if they piss off people on weekends. They don't have to use their bikes to get to work. They do not care for stoking hate...