Daryl Impey cleared!

NotSoBigBen

Thats awkward as Impey is married...

Additionally, Impey has never won the road race, so only wears "SA champs" skin-suits from winning the SA Champs TT for the last two years.

LoL i did mention it was a while back, he was SA U23 road race champ.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubbish. They sat on a positive result for 7 weeks then Daryl battled to get them to set a date for the tribunal. If they weren't so useless he could possibly have ridden the TDF or at least the Vuelta. They have a responsibility to settle issues as rapidly as they can. This has cost Daryl a year of his career. He is talking of taking them to court. Hope he does

If it will ensure they put measures in place regarding turnaround times of these things, then he must.

One has to wonder though, releasing a report is not a complex thing if it is done already. What was the motivation for keeping it so long?

Here is the Cape Times story

Impey cleared on doping charge

August 29 2014 at 06:00am

http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/92742696-1.1742752%21/image/2209018981.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_300/2209018981.jpg

AP - Daryl Impey

Kevin McCallum

Daryl Impey lost millions of rand because he was in the right place at the wrong time, he was told yesterday as he was absolved of the doping charge that threatened to derail the career of the first African to have worn the yellow jersey in the Tour de France.

Impey was informed in July he had tested positive for Probenecid at the South African Road Time Trial championships on February 6.

Yesterday, a hearing held in Johannesburg found he had taken the banned diuretic, which is not performance enhancing but can be used as a masking agent, through a contaminated product bought at a pharmacist through no fault of his own. “It’s just utter, utter relief that justice has been done,” said Impey yesterday. “Everything that has happened… it’s never going to be rectified, but I knew I hadn’t doped.”

The solid facts were the evidence of a pharmacist in Durban. Impey had gone |early in the day to buy empty gelatine capsules to put bicarbonate of soda inside them for the South African road race championships.

Bicarbonate of soda helps buffer the effects of lactic acid. The pharmacist told him he didn’t have any capsules.

Later, the pharmacist found some capsules and called Impey, who went in the afternoon to buy them.

Shortly before the pharmacist served Impey, he had dispensed Probenecid to another customer. His hands had contaminated Impey’s capsules. At the hearing, till slips showing time and purchase from the pharmacy convinced the hearing Impey had not ingested the substance on purpose.

“When this news came out we were shocked,” said Impey. “I’m glad to restore the faith people had in me. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or even the right place at the wrong time, almost cost me my entire career. This puts bread and butter on the table for my family.”

Impey signed a clause |with Orica Greenedge, his Australian-backed cycling team, that he would repay his salary should he be found guilty of doping. It is a standard clause in the team contracts. Impey had been due to ride in the Tour de France this year and, while he would not put a figure on how much the doping charge had cost him, it is estimated to be several million rand.

Impey and his lawyers are considering whether to take action against the SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport (Saids) after it delayed the announcement of his positive test until June 23.

Saids claimed the delay was due to the death of a lab technician, but at yesterday’s hearing, was vague on a seven-week delay when the results were known but not announced. The Saids officials left directly after the hearing.

“The delay is inexcusable,” said Impey. “The amount of money I have lost is hard to quantify. It’s a huge loss of income.”

Impey was left out of the South African team for the world championships, but is hoping to be included. He will head to Canada to race with his team.

Edited by kosmonooit

Thats awkward as Impey is married...

Additionally, Impey has never won the road race, so only wears "SA champs" skin-suits from winning the SA Champs TT for the last two years.

Theres a difference in riding in SA colours(there's lotsa people that have that kit) and riding with a SA champ jersey.

Also struggling to see how they are the villain now, they did their job as you pointed out

Only issue they (SAIDS) might have is the delay in notifying DI, he might have been able to rescue his 2014 season in time for the big races like TDF if he was informed sooner. The pharmacy that contaminated the product on the other hand deserves to be squeezed a bit... Now the skeptic in me (flak jacket on) wonders how much probenecid would be required to cause a positive test and if the traces transferred from pharmacists hands onto the empty capsules would be enough?

Only issue they (SAIDS) might have is the delay in notifying DI, he might have been able to rescue his 2014 season in time for the big races like TDF if he was informed sooner. The pharmacy that contaminated the product on the other hand deserves to be squeezed a bit... Now the skeptic in me (flak jacket on) wonders how much probenecid would be required to cause a positive test and if the traces transferred from pharmacists hands onto the empty capsules would be enough?

Yikes Swiss, you recovering from the LA fallout.

Yikes Swiss, you recovering from the LA fallout.

Eddy called it first, he did say that the hubbers will become pharmacists .

That is what really hits the skeptic nerve in me....the root cause gets no mention ito legal action. mmmmmm

look i know we all are Impey fans and truth can be stranger than fiction - but consider how much probenicid the pharmacist had on his hands , how much of that transferred to the capsules, they are put in a container , transported , opened ,filled, maybe transported again in a container eventualy taken and there still is enough to lead to a detectable blood level - that is hard to believe. go and ask any pharmacist when was the last time he had dispensed probenicid bet you the younger ones would say never. add to this the coincidence that this particular pharmacist was working with a drug that is hardly prescibed anymore at the moment that a professional cyclist requires his services. use ockham's razor.

Edited by zuludog

Rubbish. They sat on a positive result for 7 weeks then Daryl battled to get them to set a date for the tribunal. If they weren't so useless he could possibly have ridden the TDF or at least the Vuelta. They have a responsibility to settle issues as rapidly as they can. This has cost Daryl a year of his career. He is talking of taking them to court. Hope he does

Actually, they outsource a lab to do the testing for them. Have you thought of all the tests that have to be done across all sporting codes, by that said lab, and then they do other testing for hospitals etc. as well. Our Cycling tests are just in the bundle, no special treatment, so it waits in line with all the other tests. SAIDS has no control in the amount of time it takes for the tests to be done and certainly cannot bump one sports persons test up the line, as all the samples are nameless and treated equally.

The only person that can be blamed for being at fault, is the Pharmacist.

akes you wonder how many other cases there are where similar circumstances has cost people their sports career.

If the legit supply chain can't keep is hands clean how can sporting authorities expect the riders too....