Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, not tried gaming since going A'host. Apple dropped their DVD drive and as luck would have it COD is looking for the disk. 

I stopped the premium option on DSTV probably close to 2 years ago. I still have the R29 monthly option.

I have a 4mb ADSL connected through a router to an HP Server that runs Crunchbang Linux. On the server I run Sickbeard, SABnzbd and Plex Media Server. Ihave an external 2TB drive connected to the server and everything downloads to that drive.

All TV series and movies are then played via wi-fi from the server to a Western Digital Live TV box and then to the TV.

There are a number of different websites that I use for streaming live TV as and when required.

I stopped the premium option on DSTV probably close to 2 years ago. I still have the R29 monthly option.

I have a 4mb ADSL connected through a router to an HP Server that runs Crunchbang Linux. On the server I run Sickbeard, SABnzbd and Plex Media Server. Ihave an external 2TB drive connected to the server and everything downloads to that drive.

All TV series and movies are then played via wi-fi from the server to a Western Digital Live TV box and then to the TV.

There are a number of different websites that I use for streaming live TV as and when required.

Do you run Netflix through your wdtv or just rely on downloading?..must say..for the price I have been Helluva happy with my wdtv

Do you run Netflix through your wdtv or just rely on downloading?..must say..for the price I have been Helluva happy with my wdtv

You can run it through wdtv but you need to sort out an ip blocker first.

I also use the wdtv and for the price it is great.

I don't know what's going on here but I want In!

So first off I need to get a hard line.

Thanks guys!

Cancelled DSTV about a year ago and have been experimenting with various streaming and download options since.

My current setup is 4mb ADSL (180gb capped via WebAfrica) + Apple TV (US itunes account) + JustUnBlock to make Netflix think I'm in the US + Netflix. Works like a bomb for about R160 per month excl ADSL cost. You can also watch some of the free US channels that ship with the Apple TV like PBS and of course rent movies on iTunes.

Next challenge is to get Hulu+ working. Netflix tends to show older TV series while Hulu has all the latest stuff. Can anyone suggest a good DNS or VPN provider that works with Hulu?

streaming is the way forward, DSTV is about 10 steps backwards.

I stream mainly netflix and download the rest...

I have been thinking about this for some time now,gatvol of repeats on dstv,paying R800 for premium (which by the way only have a few ok-ish channels). Me and my more beautiful other half are now looking at having ADSL installed,so that we can download movies/series,and watch it whenever we have time and when we are not cycling. Who else are doing the internet tv thing,is it worth it,because I heard stories about lines being made slow to hamper steaming ect (but I intend to download,not stream). Can anybody please give me some tips ect?

There is a very long thread on the hub - so your tip....

SEARCH... :)

I used to subscribe to Netflix but never renewed once the subscription expired. Reason being is that the all the series are generally a couple of seasons old. So I now download straight.

I did make use of Unotelly for DNS purposes when I subscribed to Netflix.

streaming is the way forward, DSTV is about 10 steps backwards.

I stream mainly netflix and download the rest...

In their defence they are trying with this direct from the U.S. thing....but i wanna watch shows as they happen and join in the discussion with the rest of the world...and then they make statements like Orange is the New black..the New show that everyone is talking about.....which is now 2 or 3 years old!...added to that this year they had no walking dead....no halt and catch fire etc etc etc

Which are the best sport streaming sites, they all seem quite dodgy and hard to get a decent stream without negotiating a million pop ups and ads?

Cancelled DSTV about a year ago and have been experimenting with various streaming and download options since.

My current setup is 4mb ADSL (180gb capped via WebAfrica) + Apple TV (US itunes account) + JustUnBlock to make Netflix think I'm in the US + Netflix. Works like a bomb for about R160 per month excl ADSL cost. You can also watch some of the free US channels that ship with the Apple TV like PBS and of course rent movies on iTunes.

Next challenge is to get Hulu+ working. Netflix tends to show older TV series while Hulu has all the latest stuff. Can anyone suggest a good DNS or VPN provider that works with Hulu?

I use Unotelly DNS for my Apple TV.Running Hulu and Netflix and the other channels on Apple.

Which are the best sport streaming sites, they all seem quite dodgy and hard to get a decent stream without negotiating a million pop ups and ads?

That's a good question - I'd can the DStv in a heartbeat then.

On a side note, Multichoice should think about a SuperSport only digital bundle. Sure, they would lose me and some others as a premium subscriber, but, they'd gain so many people who only want the sport. I mean, the infrastructure on their side is already in place for it, I can already stream Catch Up, Box Office, and sport as a premium subscriber.

They could make even more money if they went with a pay-per-view option too...