Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Good call if you won't miss the sport!

Go with Afrihost capped and also sign up for their new plus service which means you get double data every month and some other stuff. So you pay for say 50gb and get 100gb. 50gb and a 10mbs line is about R650 pm which includes line rental and the line speed is really good and is not throttled.

With unotelly you can get Netflix and Hulu. I think all of them have a 30 day free trail. If that fails just download.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good question - I'd can the DStv in a heartbeat then.

On a side note, Multichoice should think about a SuperSport only digital bundle. Sure, they would lose me and some others as a premium subscriber, but, they'd gain so many people who only want the sport. I mean, the infrastructure on their side is already in place for it, I can already stream Catch Up, Box Office, and sport as a premium subscriber.

They could make even more money if they went with a pay-per-view option too...

Never gonna happen..that's the primary reason 99.9% of premium subscribers have dstv. Their revenue will get cut in half

Which are the best sport streaming sites, they all seem quite dodgy and hard to get a decent stream without negotiating a million pop ups and ads?

I streamed the Sunderland v Liverpool game this afternoon and although not HD quality I had a pretty darn good stream throughout the match.

Used: http://www.sportingvideo.tv/

Never gonna happen..that's the primary reason 99.9% of premium subscribers have dstv. Their revenue will get cut in half

I don't have the figures but as I understand the vast majority of your subscription fees (other than the profit) goes towards the premium content ie sport & newest movies/series. Cutting out the 900 channels we don't watch from the package is not going to make a big difference on the price.

So a sports only package will still be expensive.

I don't have the figures but as I understand the vast majority of your subscription fees (other than the profit) goes towards the premium content ie sport & newest movies/series. Cutting out the 900 channels we don't watch from the package is not going to make a big difference on the price.

So a sports only package will still be expensive.

The most expensive part of dstv premium is the mnet side.

Local content including sport and soapies costs substantially more than international content.

For the money you save you could buy DVDs for that and would not be able to watch everything.

I'm downgrading to the R100 package as the only two stations we watch are on it: Cartoon Network; Disney Junior.

I'm going back to buying movies.

Movies and series are the last thing I watch on tv

I am looking forward to the cycling events and the cricket and rugby world cups this year in HD

All available to stream too

Movies and series are the last thing I watch on tv

I am looking forward to the cycling events and the cricket and rugby world cups this year in HD

Yip, I will likely reactivate my DSTV for these periods. Pity we can't do it for only a few days anymore, worked well for me, but that is their way of clamping down on occassional users like me

I have been thinking about this for some time now,gatvol of repeats on dstv,paying R800 for premium (which by the way only have a few ok-ish channels). Me and my more beautiful other half are now looking at having ADSL installed,so that we can download movies/series,and watch it whenever we have time and when we are not cycling. Who else are doing the internet tv thing,is it worth it,because I heard stories about lines being made slow to hamper steaming ect (but I intend to download,not stream). Can anybody please give me some tips ect?

People are doing this by the thousands - you will not miss DSTV for one second.  There are so many sources of downloads, streaming, TV series, movies sport etc, spend 10m on google, and read this thread you will have more content that you can deal with.  Multichoice have made it easy for people to switch off with the continued dumbing down of content that is repeated to death.  The only new stuff is reality show after reality show, naked people in jungles etc etc.  I prefer the Hub for that entertainment.  Just Nike

Next challenge is to get Hulu+ working. Netflix tends to show older TV series while Hulu has all the latest stuff. Can anyone suggest a good DNS or VPN provider that works with Hulu?

I use Unotelly DNS for my Apple TV.Running Hulu and Netflix and the other channels on Apple.

Thanks, switched to Unotelly and Hulu and most of the US TV channels now work. They also offer a number of useful services that my previous provider, JustUnblock, does not at the same price.

Done it.

For most people it's a big saving over DStv because they're already paying for ADSL. In your case the saving is less because you're incurring the cost of ADSL but I think you'll still come out ahead financially.

And you'll definitely watch better stuff.

I download more than I stream, and yes, the downloading is often throttled so I often let it run through the night.

You'll quickly build up a bank of material, more than you can watch.

We've also trying the apple TV / netflix route but this one is proving a little more tricky to get working.

I have ADSL and apple TV with a US account and do Netflix via the US APP with Smart DNS - works like a charms and loads of content , movies and series and not even R200 - never had DSTV they are robbing people

Add in a MS Azure Server hosted in the US with MS Remote access VPN configured and you have "US" presence on your mobile devices when away from home. (Unotelly etc is great from fixed line / home use)

Yip, I will likely reactivate my DSTV for these periods. Pity we can't do it for only a few days anymore, worked well for me, but that is their way of clamping down on occassional users like me

What is the minimum upgrade/downgrade time frame? I have Netflix/Uno Telly etc, and want to drop to the R29 DSTV option and upgrade for TDF/World Cup etc