Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

I'm on NordVPN as well, got it on sale some time ago for a 3-year deal if I remember correctly. Mostly using the local server just to sit behind some form of protection (for what it's worth), but recently we've been hooking up with the Australian server so that we can watch the latest season of The Block on Channel 9 AU, which is pretty useful. On 20mbps fibre at home all the way to Aus we're streaming perfectly fine, no issues.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m waiting for the Black Friday specials for Nord VPN, hopefully a 2yr deal for $3.71 (current offer). Up to 6 devices can be connected. I use it for the Tour this year, and worked like a charm.

Eish, will keep an eye out for BF deals, price seems a bit out of my budget right now.

Eish, will keep an eye out for BF deals, price seems a bit out of my budget right now.

But it's cheaper than smartdns, or am I missing something?

But it's cheaper than smartdns, or am I missing something?

its roughly the same per month price if I renew with SmartDNS, but in order to get the NordDNS discount price I have to outlay for 24 months which currently is a little steep for my pocket.

its roughly the same per month price if I renew with SmartDNS, but in order to get the NordDNS discount price I have to outlay for 24 months which currently is a little steep for my pocket.

Perhaps consider OpenVPN. From $15 for the year. I used the mobile version, but was a single user only - which is why I moved to NordVPN.

• 2 months later...

Have been at my in-laws for an abnormal summer holiday, and they still have DStv (single, SD decoder). While it was nice to watch some sport (CX race in Hulst), and keep the girls busy for a short period, the wife eventually said, “there’s nothing to watch; we’ve seen everything they are currently showing”.

SMH, ek sê maar niks nie.

Loving Nord but I can't get past Amazon Prime with it. Keeps telling me to disable my VPN on my laptop. 

Would like to find a way to install this on the Mikrotik fibre router and have no more SA Netflix on my Apple TV. Starting to see more and more local content filling up space where quality content should be. 

Okay so VPN's 

which do you use and how do you pay it ?

It's lovely that nord says 3$ A month and then At check out you have to pay for the Whole two years once off ?!?!

the all in 2 year plan with vat comes to 104$ which is A bit hard to stomach since i don't know much value im really going to get out of it 

I'm using NordVPN which I bought on some sort of 3-year special deal. It's a lot of money up front, but considering that you can use it anytime, anywhere swayed me towards it. It's also allowed us to watch The Block on Channel 9 in Australia which was pretty cool.

It also comes in handy (well not last year with COVID) when we travel internationally and The Girl wants to watch Showmax or DSTV.

I'm using NordVPN which I bought on some sort of 3-year special deal. It's a lot of money up front, but considering that you can use it anytime, anywhere swayed me towards it. It's also allowed us to watch The Block on Channel 9 in Australia which was pretty cool.

It also comes in handy (well not last year with COVID) when we travel internationally and The Girl wants to watch Showmax or DSTV.

and how many accounts/logins do you get with the subscription?

and how many accounts/logins do you get with the subscription?

Installed on a compatible router allows multiple devices at the same time, and it only counts as one device (the router).

* disclaimer: the router must support OpenVPN Client, of which a lot of them only support with Server.

Loving Nord but I can't get past Amazon Prime with it. Keeps telling me to disable my VPN on my laptop. 

Would like to find a way to install this on the Mikrotik fibre router and have no more SA Netflix on my Apple TV. Starting to see more and more local content filling up space where quality content should be. 

Best would be to look at a DNS option rather than the VPN option.

Unless the VPN provider uses l2tp with ipsec or OVPN it's not going to work.

DNS option is just a simple set the IP they give you as primary DNS

Best would be to look at a DNS option rather than the VPN option.

Unless the VPN provider uses l2tp with ipsec or OVPN it's not going to work.

DNS option is just a simple set the IP they give you as primary DNS

@DR,

I've had a look around on my Mikrotik, this should work with OVPN and NORD(or any other similar VPN service that utilizes OVPN).

I saw on their site they support OVPN and provide the correct security keys for use.

https://support.nordvpn.com/FAQ/1047408592/Which-protocol-should-I-choose.htm

If you can get a deal, or a mate willing to loan you their account for a test you can ask your ISP to set it up, else if you have access to your device set it up yourself.

Mikrotik as a OVPN client is super easy:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/OVPN#Client_Config

The guide shows the CLI, but the Mikrotik GUI naming convention is very similar to the CLI, so you shouldn't have any issues navigating it.

Just remember to create a profile for the OVPN with your login details and reference it.

post-83023-0-74253400-1610221415_thumb.jpg

Edit - Just be aware, doing it this way may affect your general browsing as well as gaming if you do so. I'd personally make a few adjustments to the NAT rules so only your streaming devices use the VPN and other traffic is unaffected.

Edited by Jurgens Smit