A dark Africa lays ahead.....load shedding

Mojoman

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to be be proved otherwise but I don't hold Ramaphosa, Gordhan etc in the same esteemed regard. Example The Eskom Chairman who was appointed by both, had the following to say.  

At a media briefing to explain why load shedding has returned and what Eskom plans to do about it, chairperson and acting CEO Jabu Mabuza responded to a question on whether he is the right person for his job by explaining that he didn’t apply for it and was there due to the decisions of President Cyril Ramaphosa and Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan.

“Am I the right person? I would have applied for the job if I had the qualifications and I wanted it, I didn’t apply for this. South Africans and the president and the minister must make the call,” he said.

Mind boggling.

Then there's the credit for placing SAA under business rescue, when i fact they were faced with an ultimatum, Solidarity requested this a while back but were dismissed, they then went the legal route and surprise, Ramaphosa then finally took action. 

No, what I meant was, the rot that went before had no one chirping about political interference etc.  But now everyone expects 15+ years of bad decisions, greed and stupidity to be fixed over night.

You may not like Gordhan, but he certainly knew how to set something up at SARS.

I'm not wearing rose-tinted spectacles when it comes to Rama and co. They are what they are.  Political interference is the first of our big problems.

(Would you [or anyone you know] take the job of Eskom CEO right now???)

Not quite UPS isnt best solution as your converting dc to ac then ac to dc for router.

The losses are astounding apparently (just did the research online).

Best would be to use a 12v battery with a buck/boost converter to the dc input volts of your router/modem. That gives you many hours of power, from the little research i have been able to do in 30min I had this morning.

Most of the routers are 12V DC so you can go straight from the terminals, just get ur polarity right!

it will say on the back what it is, normally center positive

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/some-light-at-the-end-of-the-load-shedding-tunnel-new-independant-power-plants-could-be-connected-to-the-grid-by-february-heres-what-is-coming-online-and-when-2019-12

These projects were delayed by Zuma for 4 years and if he did not interfere we could have had 4 times that quantum of 2300mw online. All to protect his mates Brian Molefe and the Guptas coal business. Renewables have their downside in terms of base load but in the South African context it would have saved our butts.

Our UPS for Wifi+Fibre routers runs for about 3h45, which is longer than the exchange can hang on for, so makes no sense to go any larger.

https://www.takealot.com/superchannel-700va-line-interactive-ups/PLID53646585

I have backup whicb will last at least a 4hr load shedding, no use for comms at the office as the fibre only lasts about 2hrs, then we sit and wait for power to send emails and be online

Cutting a trip short to come sort it all out. yeah right.

Once again been reactive rather than pro active. 

Eyewitness News revealed on Tuesday that the president is flying home following the public outcry over his trip, which was announced shortly after South Africans were saddled with stage 6 load shedding.

https://ewn.co.za/2019/12/10/load-shedding-ramaphosa-only-found-out-about-stage-six-after-leaving-for-egypt

If you combine all the times Ramaphosa claims he's shocked (State capture, Alexandra, Esidemeni,state of SOE's etc) and convert it to electricity it would go a long way towards avoiding load shedding

Edited by scotty

What is absolutely concerning is that Eskom has a reported installed capacity of 44 000MW... but it cannot supply enough for the peak demand of 27 000MW.

Flippen Scary if you think how much of the generating capacity is out of commission.

What is absolutely concerning is that Eskom has a reported installed capacity of 44 000MW... but it cannot supply enough for the peak demand of 27 000MW.

Flippen Scary if you think how much of the generating capacity is out of commission.

I was a happier person before you went and put it THAT way!

Is there a list of units down and why?

I know traditionally Tube Leaks are one of the biggest reasons but I'd be interested to know what is actually going on.

I guess the Duvha unit that was "accelerated to destruction" a few years ago is all fixed now?

AFAIK Medupi is only capable of producing around a third of the electricity of what its supposed to generate due to poor construction and installation quality.