Cyclist down in Camps Bay

VeloRacer

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary that it happened on a route so many of us use in Cape Town.

Can't imagine what family and friends must be going through - thoughts with those who need them. RIP

Some one reported this info:

The Myciti bus driver didnt even stop. Just carried on driving . A person driving behind saw the whole thing and was telling us. Guy on a beach nearby heard a bang . There was blood coming out his nose and blood running down the road from under his head. It was NOT nice. The truck driver(truck in the picture) was NOT at fault

Really sad to hear this stuff. RIP cycles. 

A man in his 50s was knocked down and killed while cycling along Victoria Road in Camps Bay, Cape Town, on Tuesday afternoon, paramedics said.

Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha said the man was cycling when he was hit by a car.

"Paramedics responded to the call and when they arrived at the scene they found the cyclist lying on the roadway," Botha said in a statement.

He died on the scene.

The cause of the accident would be investigated

This is what is said on News24 that a car hit him...really

RIP fellow rider

RIP cyclist.

But is this not PPA fault? Where this accident happened is it not on a stretch of road where their is a solid white line? If so then PPA has to take some of the blame - why? Well when they got the 1 meter law passed they allowed a concession that now motorist may over take on a solid white line (cross the barrier line) well thats how I see it. So assuming the car / bus went over the line to overtake the cyclist - then saw a truck and swerved towards the pavement taking the cyclist down! This was not what we as cyclist ask for - PPA to have made roads now even less safe for cyclist by creating a whole new set of rules with regards to bicycles - lets face it most motorist cannot even obey the 1st set of rules - to have a second set for cyclist is just F..K ridicules - all we need was that motorist obey the traffic laws esp when regards to over taking other vehicles - cyclist are regarded as vehicles on SA roads! I have assumed quite a lot above but one may well find my assumptions are more than 50% correct!

Below the Gov gazette as of this year versa what was in place!!!

Duties of driver of motor vehicle when passing cyclist

(2) Despite any solid barrier line or other road traffic sign prohibiting encroachment upon the right-hand side of the road, the driver of a motor
vehicle on a public road may, where the roadway is not wide enough to comply with subregulation (1)(b) or © when passing a cyclist,
encroach on that part of the road to his or her right, but only if—

What it use to be even with cyclist:

https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Safe-Overtaking-and-Road-Safety

1. Asking the question – Should I overtake?

Any driving movement can be considered with reference to the questions “Is it safe, legal and convenient?” A decision to overtake should start with the question "Do I really need to overtake"?

There is often very little advantage to be gained for the risk taken!
Only after answering “YES” to the following questions should you start to overtake:

Can I see far enough ahead to be sure it is safe?
Can I overtake without affecting any other vehicles' position or speed?
Am I able to pull back to my own side of the road in plenty of time after completing the manoeuvre?
Can I abandon the overtaking manoeuvre if another hazard comes into view?
Will I come into conflict with any other road user?
Will I end up making a third line of vehicles abreast at any point during the manoeuvre?
Will it be legal to overtake here?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070531.jpg

I personally preferred the original set of rules!

Edited by Icycling

johan brand in those comments has a point. It's not race day. I dont understand this attitude by cyclists. Its like that rubbish about 'group momentum' not being the reason to stop at a red robot. what utter bs. But this is another discussion best held in another thread (one of many) so as not to detract from the miserable occassion of today.

??? how the heck is PPA responsible....that's quite a stretch of the imagination

PPA allowing a “new law” that vehicles may now overtake on a solid barrier line - this came into effect when the 1 (PPA wanted 1.5m) meter law (prior to that it was not legal) was passed that PPA was trying to achieve. After now looking at page 1 of the tread of the accident scene - yup it’s a solid barrier line!!! PPA what have you done to cyclist road safety?? PPA bringing / allowing this new 1 meter law in to the government gazette and allowing the concession that now motorist may legally overtake a cyclist on a solid Barrier line have made the road less safe to what they use to be for cyclist - my oppnion!

The rule of the road in the past was quite simple don’t overtake a vehicle on a solid barrier line - PPA have now allowed this to be less simple!!!!

Edited by Icycling

The motorist may cross the solid line if it safe...if not then he is to blame...he should have waited till it was safe....I don't see how PPA is to blame. ....it's our motorists with their sh×tty attitude.