Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys, come down to Cape Town. Ride on Sat out to Camps Bay then do the tour on Sunday

It has been the most amazing sense of community these last 4 days, don't let's ruin it with negativity. My wife has not got home yet, she is massaging the volunteer firefighters as they come off their shifts.

Here I am sitting on the internet, moaning. It puts it into perspective.

Edited by NixM

Misinterpreted the route thought it was a dual loop of 47km, but what a waste to even go and ride

With the shortened distance they have surely negated any possibility of lodging a travel insurance claim as there will be 'something of a ride'.

Just a thought ...

The support on the day has always been phenomenal: families braaing, music blasting, etc. Hopefully the same numbers of spectators will come out for the shortened route, Imagine the entire route with jam-packed, wall-to-wall support. I think that would be a brilliant experience that is unlikely to be repeated again. It would be a good day out irrespective of the distance.

Yoh! that"s going to be congested. If you line up 35000 bikes wheel to wheel they would cover the entire distance.

I feel for all involved, hopefully you can still enjoy the day.

my road bikes about 1.66m tyre edge to tyre edge wheel across the axles. assume all 35000 entrants are on same size bikes, the total distance 58.1km. would be darn cool to actually pull that off :P

kidding aside, i'm curious about the press release making note of the roadworks along main road. This was presented as one of a few major factors. Would this still have been a big deal if there wasn't a fire? What would the tour organisers have done then? The road works were there for a long long time, and clearly not going to be completed before the race. Feels like clutching at straws to shore up the decision. I have no issue with the other reasons as the severity of the situation more than likely required the inputs of all cape town city stakeholders, not just the tour organisers.

anyway, 47km. Most unusual outcome ever,but par for the course in a series of unusual events to occur over the past few days: biggest fire, AB world records, hottest day on the planet the other day along with hottest in 100 years, work aircon vrek resulting in sitting in sweated jeans in my office. What's one more oddity right? :P

I think this is a total cop out; they have our money so do not give a toss.

Just think what they could have come up with, had we only paid on the day???

West coast..... or  to Stellenbosch...:

Obviously not exposed to the daily stresses we in business have to deal with daily.

I've seen some not-so-shiny-gems in my short time on the Hub, but this one tops them all.

Dude, your business much be a complete ****-up. Try something else.

Hmmmm, interesting but unfortunate dilema that the CTCTT has to deal with.

While I am all for the solidarity/sympathy of the current situation that many in the Southern Peninsula are facing as a result of the fires as well as the amazing efforts being put in by the firefighters and other emergency service personnel, 47 Km is hardly "an Argus"

Why not turn it into a mass safety awareness ride both for the efforts of the emergency service people as well as for safe cycling....not sure how to get this going in such a short time but I am sure it can be done....

Perhaps this will also give the CTCTT an opportunity to come up with additional alternate routes (perhaps heading north).

Well I suppose my 20th Argus (CTCT) will be the year of the 47km solidarity ride.

An aside: wonder if we can ride without our chips. Gees don't want 100% seeding if I chill with my mates.

Why don't they just move it. Imagine this route. Start Stellenbosch (Coetzenburg) go towards Somerset West then take N2 over Sir Lowrys pass to Grabouw. From Grabouw go towards Villiersdorp over that small pass cross the dam and turn left towards Franschoek over the Franchoek pass . From Franchoek go over Helshoogte pass towards Stellenbosch back to Coetzenburg. Will be roughly 100km and over 4 passes. They can call it the Cape Town 4 passes cycle tour. Not much trafic on these roads except for the 18km stretch on the N2. Certainly less traffic than M3 and around Cape Town so it should be easy to close. Should be the permanent "alternative route"

Edited by mikedevill

my road bikes about 1.66m tyre edge to tyre edge wheel across the axles. assume all 35000 entrants are on same size bikes, the total distance 58.1km. would be darn cool to actually pull that off :P

kidding aside, i'm curious about the press release making note of the roadworks along main road. This was presented as one of a few major factors. Would this still have been a big deal if there wasn't a fire? What would the tour organisers have done then? The road works were there for a long long time, and clearly not going to be completed before the race. Feels like clutching at straws to shore up the decision. I have no issue with the other reasons as the severity of the situation more than likely required the inputs of all cape town city stakeholders, not just the tour organisers.

anyway, 47km. Most unusual outcome ever,but par for the course in a series of unusual events to occur over the past few days: biggest fire, AB world records, hottest day on the planet the other day along with hottest in 100 years, work aircon vrek resulting in sitting in sweated jeans in my office. What's one more oddity right? :P

Re roadworks - Boyes Drive. so no it wouldn't have been a problem without a fire. :)