Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I type this people I know in Joburg are cancelling their flights and accom. This is a huge f-up. Going to have major implications for the city.

Now that is a right royal COP OUT ! and VERY VERY disappointing !

Shows complete lack of planing

Couldn't agree more

A statement from David Bellairs, Director of the Cycle Tour Trust, has been added to the article which gives more insight into the decision.

Slowbee, the safety moghuls always trump everyone else. Traffic management and disaster management probably had to make the call. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes. With Boyes drive and Chappies closed, it only leaves Main Road and Ou Kaapse Weg for traffic and cyclists and emergency vehicles. The Tour cannot expect to take both, not with the current fire problem. Imagine the trouble if firefighters cannot get to Noordhoek while the race is on Ou Kaapse Weg and houses are burning. Tough one, I hate it too, but I'll still go for a nice friendly cycle on Sunday.

Town, Sea Point, Kloof Nek, DeWaal Drive, M3 to end, back to Constantia and over Rhodes Drive.

Could have at least made it scenic...

What a waste.

Same here - we're driving and the fuel and tolls will come to 4 grand before anything else.