Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

Let's be honest here, what damage would the trails have really sustained? Apart from the roots in the trail being burnt, I am hinging my bets on minimal direct damage. 

What I do however understand from the info is that Table Mountain National Park are not looking at the trails in isolation of the rest of the reserve. It appears to be a holistic approach where an ecosystem is affected and needs recovery. 

Eddy.. the area is sensitive and a lot of attention will be focussed on the recovery, it seems Table Mountain National Park and many other stakeholders are not willing to risk opening the area to the public, not just cyclists; horses, walkers etc..

Saying no-one ever ventured off the trails is quite a claim..

Cap, winter approaches.. I sincerely doubt anything will change before it is over. 

I think it might have to do with unstability of the soils ...now that the roots that kept it intact are not there anymore?

IF we get hard rains anytime soon...it will be bad...soft, penetrating rain is what is needed...not a huge storm 9whicg is more leikely nowadays with climate being so upset!0

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it might have to do with unstability of the soils ...now that the roots that kept it intact are not there anymore?

IF we get hard rains anytime soon...it will be bad...soft, penetrating rain is what is needed...not a huge storm 9whicg is more leikely nowadays with climate being so upset!0

Yup, hence my feeling on winter. There is very little balance lately, the tap is either open or closed!

Chapman's peak, ai karamba - I'll say no more.

With who is the climate so upset?

To be honest, I don't understand the blanket closure.  I can see why Tokai is off limits for right now (not 6 - 24 months!  But that's another point...) but I can't understand why the whole park is off limits.
I usually cycle into Tokai from Ou Wapad, and was thinking that while Tokai is off limits I'll just go up Ou Wapad and around Noordhoek Peak - it's all jeep track so should be fine!  But no - blanket ban.
I truly don't understand this.  Where is the danger in that?  There's no damage to the environment, no chance of a rock or tree branch falling on my head and no burnt out underground roots to fall into.  Why must everything be off limits?

Besides, I think that seeing the desolation in the aftermath of the fire coupled with the new growth that I've already seen coming out is quite beautiful, and would really enjoy watching it develop.

Some access must be allowable to non danger / eco sensitive routes.

Who can we bribe?  :ph34r:

To be honest, I don't understand the blanket closure.  I can see why Tokai is off limits for right now (not 6 - 24 months!  But that's another point...) but I can't understand why the whole park is off limits.

I usually cycle into Tokai from Ou Wapad, and was thinking that while Tokai is off limits I'll just go up Ou Wapad and around Noordhoek Peak - it's all jeep track so should be fine!  But no - blanket ban.

I truly don't understand this.  Where is the danger in that?  There's no damage to the environment, no chance of a rock or tree branch falling on my head and no burnt out underground roots to fall into.  Why must everything be off limits?

Besides, I think that seeing the desolation in the aftermath of the fire coupled with the new growth that I've already seen coming out is quite beautiful, and would really enjoy watching it develop.

No promises but you'll find Silvermine will allow access sooner based on your rationale.

You must remember that there are a lot of users; between walking, climbing, paragliding, bicycling, horse riding and dog walking, suddenly your low impact single user group during a sensitive recovery period takes a sharp turn. 

From your perspective it makes perfect sense. From a management point of view I think it may look somewhat different.

No promises but you'll find Silvermine will allow access sooner based on your rationale.

You must remember that there are a lot of users; between walking, climbing, paragliding, bicycling, horse riding and dog walking, suddenly your low impact single user group during a sensitive recovery period takes a sharp turn. 

From your perspective it makes perfect sense. From a management point of view I think it may look somewhat different.

I think Deon is right, not all riders will respect the growth and stay on the dirt roads. Although, dirtypot is spot on with watching the new growth, it will be great to see it all go up again

Thinking "out of the box" a little bit about things that could help:

Would Tokai Mtb (perhaps SANParks can write a supporting letter explaining the situation also) think about talking to the Tygerberg Bountainbike Club on behalf of peeps with valid Activity cards? How about negotiating a 50% discount if you join Tygerberg for the next year and you can produce a valid Activity card. Mountainbike brothers standing together and all that! Us Southern Suburbs guys won't ride there quite as often and something like that will soften the blow and generate huge goodwill. It will also help to take the pressure off Tokai for the recovery period.

That's an excellent idea. Would be keen to see how the Tygerberg guys respond. 

Emailed.

That's an excellent idea. Would be keen to see how the Tygerberg guys respond. 

Emailed.

Thank you.

Personally, I was reluctant to purchase a card for Tygerberg since I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it by riding there regularly. Its just too far. Any sort of assistance from them would greatly appreciated. If they respond positively. I'll buy one despite knowing I'll hardly use it. Support them just for supporting us. I'm sure this would go without saying for many of us southerners.

It's also worth mentioning that Jonkershoek annual card holders would also appreciate assistance like this. Assuming Eden/Pardyskloof remains unaffected and open to public. Perhaps they could consider helping out jonkers riders? 

Deon, Myles, While I understand that tokai wants all the natural vegetation to grow back etc.

What are the possibilities of planting some of the natural vegetation like the silver leaf and proteas etc with the aid of the great okes at Kirstenbosch in getting the correct plants?seedlings and doing a mass plant on tokai? I know lots of money will be needed, but surely we can raise funds. I might even know one of the horticulturists at kirstenbosch. 

If this is possible, then tokai's rehabilitation will be greatly accelerated. Then instead of building new trails etc Tokai Mtb'rs can help in getting the flaura and fauna back then concentrate on maintenance of existing trails until such time where new ones can be put it.

Maybe planting next to the trails would be best so as to add a so called no go area/ green belt

So I guess there will be a lot more rogue riders in constantia greenbelt, cecilia and up the back table to the dams. wonder if parks will look to accomodate the mtb community or play the heavy fist approach. Will also see how much they miss the tokai income too. 

Thank you.

Personally, I was reluctant to purchase a card for Tygerberg since I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it by riding there regularly. Its just too far. Any sort of assistance from them would greatly appreciated. If they respond positively. I'll buy one despite knowing I'll hardly use it. Support them just for supporting us. I'm sure this would go without saying for many of us southerners.

Just FYI, Tygerberg membership also allows you access to Welvenpas.

Deon, Myles, While I understand that tokai wants all the natural vegetation to grow back etc.

What are the possibilities of planting some of the natural vegetation like the silver leaf and proteas etc with the aid of the great okes at Kirstenbosch in getting the correct plants?seedlings and doing a mass plant on tokai? I know lots of money will be needed, but surely we can raise funds. I might even know one of the horticulturists at kirstenbosch. 

If this is possible, then tokai's rehabilitation will be greatly accelerated. Then instead of building new trails etc Tokai Mtb'rs can help in getting the flaura and fauna back then concentrate on maintenance of existing trails until such time where new ones can be put it.

Maybe planting next to the trails would be best so as to add a so called no go area/ green belt

10557237_558841940924837_767387565980210she bounces back bru. she must

So I guess there will be a lot more rogue riders in constantia greenbelt, cecilia and up the back table to the dams. wonder if parks will look to accomodate the mtb community or play the heavy fist approach. Will also see how much they miss the tokai income too. 

Good point.  Wonder how best to address this.  Cycling up to Table Mountain dams would be great, especially if properly patrolled.  Maybe allow two nights per week?

And then be harsh on rogue riding...

Just FYI, Tygerberg membership also allows you access to Welvenpas.

Welvanpas is pure gold!!!!

White and Black routes great, and they offer very different experiences.

Would highly recommend!!!

Skollie is right. The seed bank holds a lot of excitement for the botanists.. hybridisation is the issue Eddy, even K'bosch has to collect their seeds from existing plants which have changed form over the years.

In 2011 I approached Table Mountain National Park and got approval to start collecting seeds for germination at Mt Pleasant in Rhodes Mem. As we got closer to the project, it was put on hold as Silvertree was starting sprout on their own in different locations. The controlled burns would have helped sprout faster but now in retrospect, burning after felling would have actually ended up killing off the endangered species with the recent fires. So no burning then is a blessing now. Fynbos needs minimum 8 years to seed between burns.

Fortunately the Tokai area manager heads up the planting programmes with Cecelia being the first. Two Oceans Marathon funds were donated through the Honorary Rangers and the project was quite successful but not exactly from a scientific angle.. Tokai is literally the last bastion for 'pure' fynbos but there also has to be some balance as recreation makes up one of the mandates.

We'll listen to TMNP's plans and be respectful in their immediate goals but at some point when conditions improve, will be needing their sympathy towards access too. We can help but they need time now to formulate plans and recoup some of their losses.

Cecilia-plantation-llustrated-vision.pdf