FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

Im still relatively new to all the power training but have become completely absorbed by it... I do all power based training on my cycleops training for now and will invest in a power meter for my bike in the near future.

So I have now done two FTP tests over the last few months, in between I have been working with Trainer Road programs and after tonights FTP test I was rather disappointed, was expecting my FTP to have increased bit more.

So what is your guys FTP and what is considered above average for us serious recreational riders that cant train every day of the week?

Also how much should you expect your FTP to increase over a period of specific training around FTP?

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have now done two FTP tests over the last few months, in between I have been working with Trainer Road programs and after tonights FTP test I was rather disappointed, was expecting my FTP to have increased bit more.

Personally I hate the idea of a 20 minute all out test...even thinking about it kills me.

My approach - set the FTP manually and do a workout, specifically Sufferfest's 'A very dark place'. Put on your big boy undies and go to that dark place with them and if you don't feel childbirth pains, push the FTP up until you do!  :devil: 

Then tell your wife that childbirth has nothing on Sufferfest...this is the best part.  :blink:

Let me know how it goes!

Question:  when people generally refer to their w/kg are they referring to the 3 or 20 min test?  I've only done the 3 min test.

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours  :ph34r: ...

FTP is just another number...its all about them watts/kg.

Haha... mine as of last night is 210W so that gives me 2.8 W/kg... up from 191W a few months back. Really felt like I had made better gains though.

So what is considered a "good FTP" or W/kg for us recreational racers?

I use the 2 x 8min test on TrainerRoad...

I'm at 3.82w/kg. FTP: 20min. (Weight 68kg.)

Had an 12% increase in 8 weeks. 

That's some good increase :thumbup:

If I may ask what sort of training were you doing or programme you using?

Question:  when people generally refer to their w/kg are they referring to the 3 or 20 min test?  I've only done the 3 min test.

Your power to weight ratio (W/Kg) is calculated using your functional threshold power. To estimate your FTP do a 20 min all out effort, and subtract 5%, i.e. if you managed a 300W average over 20 min, your FTP would be 285W.

• 2 months later...

Tested my FTP 1st time in 1year. It actually came down a bit even though I know I am in much better shape than when I tested it 1 year back. The conditions and setup was 100% same as previous test. All done on my powerbeam IT

Any of you experience something like this?

does

Your power to weight ratio (W/Kg) is calculated using your functional threshold power. To estimate your FTP do a 20 min all out effort, and subtract 5%, i.e. if you managed a 300W average over 20 min, your FTP would be 285W.

so it's not the Max Average Power? I ask because my Garmin gives me 2 figures viz. Avg. and Max Avg. Power (20 min)

and also Normalised Power.

does

so it's not the Max Average Power? I ask because my Garmin gives me 2 figures viz. Avg. and Max Avg. Power (20 min)

and also Normalised Power.

Nope - 95% of max average for 20 min.

But - there is actually a specific protocol to use for the test - and I see different numbers indoors and outdoors - even using the same test protocol on the trainer vs on the road.

Avg over the past 5 years sitting at 3.98w/kg on all my 20min tests. 

Avg last year was 4.2

Best 4.7 up Kowyns pass in the Clover tour.  But then you fall over and die afterwards..... :blink:

Note:  This is calculated 20min efforts and not 95%......