How old do you have to be before you can start playing the age card?

Hackster

I've recently realised that some of my riding mates tend to play the age card when quoting race results.

They say they came 163rd in their age group rather, whereas I'll say that I came 513th overall.

I think it's a cop-out.

But how old do you need to be, before you can hide behind your date of birth?

On a similar topic, I've always wondered what Argus results would look like, tracked by best time by age. Fastest 18-year old, fastest 19-year old etc. It'd be interesting to see at how performance declines through the various age bands.

I've seen some very senior gentlemen towards the front of the Argus seeded groups. Grey ghosts, I believe they're called.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've recently realised that some of my riding mates tend to play the age card when quoting race results.

They say they came 163rd in their age group rather, whereas I'll say that I came 513th overall.

I think it's a cop-out.

But how old do you need to be, before you can hide behind your date of birth?

On a similar topic, I've always wondered what Argus results would look like, tracked by best time by age. Fastest 18-year old, fastest 19-year old etc. It'd be interesting to see at how performance declines through the various age bands.

I've seen some very senior gentlemen towards the front of the Argus seeded groups. Grey ghosts, I believe they're called.

Age groups are age groups.Do you have a problem with U23?

I'd say 50, but I have been known to look how I fared in the 40 plus group (they say I am a racing vet after all)

For the endurance races often the "older" guys/girls are stronger (just look at Ironman times) just makes it easier to compare apples with apples... :whistling:

Age groups are age groups.Do you have a problem with U23?

Not at all. I just make sure I'm never in front of them!

I think 60.  You no longer have to try and find any more excuses and explanations.  You stay more motivated this way.

Hackster

How old are you?

I'd be surprized if you're, say 42 or older.

The older one gets, the tougher it gets to deliver those sweet results than 5-10 years ago.

Edited by ' Dale

They have age groups for a reason. Also, and very important to not forget, the age groups are different races. In other words VB might do a faster time than VA because there was a break in the one that was chased down etc.

If it's how you faired in your age over all categories, well then ja....