Shimano DEORE XT 11 speed and 1x11 option unveiled

gummibear

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This could have been so awesome, but seeing as it is still 11-42 only, it still lags behind the 10-42 offered by SRAM.  I have a conversion fitted to my existing XT drivetrain that gives me 11-42 anyway; so what's the point?  These conversion (OneUp and many others make them), are much cheaper than replacing half your drive train.  So what's the big deal then?

This could have been so awesome, but seeing as it is still 11-42 only, it still lags behind the 10-42 offered by SRAM.  I have a conversion fitted to my existing XT drivetrain that gives me 11-42 anyway; so what's the point?  These conversion (OneUp and many others make them), are much cheaper than replacing half your drive train.  So what's the big deal then?

+1

My thought as well, all this hype and that for nothing... Already got a 11-42 (10sp) casette, was hoping for the 10t sprocket!

I'm a big shimano fan, but sram's still one in front!

I wonder what 1x11 drivetrain was used to win the XCO world champs in 2014? Can you help with the answer, because my memory is not that good?

trick question.

2x11 electronic won the XCO World Champs in 2014

trick question.

2x11 electronic won the XCO World Champs in 2014

Not a trick question, here are some phots, decide for yourself:

post-4006-1429213446,4657.jpg

post-4006-1429213459,4283.jpg

I don't see the point of 3x11, what sort of wheelies are you going to pop with 22x42 granny gear?!

if it's a lower price point offering 3x10 (9) will be cheaper, more durable and offer same gear range.

All in all, looks like my 9 speed setup is getting even more cheaper

• 2 weeks later...

This could have been so awesome, but seeing as it is still 11-42 only, it still lags behind the 10-42 offered by SRAM. I have a conversion fitted to my existing XT drivetrain that gives me 11-42 anyway; so what's the point? These conversion (OneUp and many others make them), are much cheaper than replacing half your drive train. So what's the big deal then?

That's why One-up has now announced a 45t rear cog for Shimano's new 1 x11 XT group. In the same way as the previous 42t extender, it goes inside the 11sp cassette and then you replace the 17t and 19t with a new 18t cog. You can do this with the new 11sp (11-40) XT cassette because it is not pinned or milled from a single block of material like their SRAM counterparts. The gears ramp more smoothly than the 11-42 10sp extended cassettes because the tooth gaps are more consistent between cogs. you still retain 11, 13,15 as the 3 smallest cogs so there is less of a cadence jump between the faster gears than the 10sp converted cassettes which went 11,13,16,19....

This all gets you within 3% of an XX1 cassette's range at a lower price without having to worry about XD freehub/driver issues.

The idea behind One-up's conversion is that, compared to XX1, the 45t granny allows you to run a bigger front chainring which in turn gives more speed in your smaller cogs, somewhat negating SRAM's 10t advantage.

Edited by JXV