Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ha! You dibs'd stuff from me a year ago and STILL haven't collected it!

I am playing hard to get so that I can negotiate the price ... and I know you don't really want to get rid of that tired old dusty defective overpriced so last season non-enduro things anyway

• 3 months later...

Where does the bike hub community stand on this issue. This bike was advertised not long ago for R35k. I was sad I missed out when contacting seller. Now being resold for R50k. Is it just my bad luck or is this not right? https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/405564/specialized-epic-expert-xl-bm4187

It's sad they add no value and just mark it up and in some cases absurdly.

But its what makes a free market system and a free market system is the one I prefer so we just have to learn to deal with it

Sorry you missed out

Where does the bike hub community stand on this issue. This bike was advertised not long ago for R35k. I was sad I missed out when contacting seller. Now being resold for R50k. Is it just my bad luck or is this not right? https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/405564/specialized-epic-expert-xl-bm4187

Been discussed many a time.

Not explicitly "Wrong", but nobody likes it...

Where does the bike hub community stand on this issue. This bike was advertised not long ago for R35k. I was sad I missed out when contacting seller. Now being resold for R50k. Is it just my bad luck or is this not right? https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/405564/specialized-epic-expert-xl-bm4187

The current seller is a dealer.

Obviously saw a business oppertunity in this bike.

Where does the bike hub community stand on this issue. This bike was advertised not long ago for R35k. I was sad I missed out when contacting seller. Now being resold for R50k. Is it just my bad luck or is this not right? https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/405564/specialized-epic-expert-xl-bm4187

Where do I stand? Well, if you knew at R35k that it was a good deal and you were seriously in the market, why didn't you make a play at the seller's asking price? You lost out. We Buy Cars to the rescue. Sorry for you. (I carry no brief for Bikemarket, or any used bike/car or whatever dealer).

Good luck to them. They haven't sold it yet, yet took a gamble they can and think they can make a few bucks on it. They've invested capital in premises for showcasing and comparisons to prospective buyers. They advertise here as a business. Maybe a lesson to punters, s***t or get off the pot. Not a moral or ethical question, just the market...

Edited by buckstopper

I think you got lucky on losing out. I would love to have comments on the ad to discuss a few points:

Have a look at the wheels - the older generation Rovals (not as wide and deep as those on the Expert). Also, brakes appear to be Deore which is not standard fit (not going to discuss if this is better than TLs).

Possibly some part exchanges by the original seller, justifying the R35k price. And the dealer marking up to a market price for a standard Expert. Problem is Specialized as slashed prices, making the dealers price not very attractive.

And 2017 model - no warranty remains, the free brain services gone, so these are costs you would need to carry. Also, consider wear on components. You might have been better off buying new at a small premium.

I will happily delete my comments if I am wrong. And I am not blaming the dealer for scrupulous dealings. These are just items that have stood out when I looked at the bike, and would want answered before buying. 

thing is. go have a look at how bikemarket works these days... you can make an offer for a bike and maybe get it at your offered price. They propably got that bike for R33k ish... they are NOT putting it in for 35k just to let someone offer 10k under asking price for it to end up with R25k.

Now...if they put it in for say R50k....and it has all the right stickers on it for the ''discerning bmw driver''...he makes an offer of 40k...thinking that R10k under aking price is fair and would be a fricken bargain.

They happily accept it...making a sweet R7k profit. in this case that R50k asking price is the RRP on cwc's website....

They are not dumb. they know the market and where to sell what.

EDIT: I correct myself....that was during lockdown only

Edited by morneS555

thing is. go have a look at how bikemarket works these days... you can make an offer for a bike and maybe get it at your offered price. They propably got that bike for R33k ish... they are NOT putting it in for 35k just to let someone offer 10k under asking price for it to end up with R25k.

Now...if they put it in for say R50k....and it has all the right stickers on it for the ''discerning bmw driver''...he makes an offer of 40k...thinking that R10k under aking price is fair and would be a fricken bargain.

They happily accept it...making a sweet R7k profit. in this case that R50k asking price is the RRP on cwc's website....

They are not dumb. they know the market and where to sell what.

EDIT: I correct myself....that was during lockdown only

Knowing how they work and from personal experience they probably only offered the seller between 25K and 28K if that under the present circumstances.No way they paid 33K when his asking price was 35K.

I'm currently having an altercation with a hubber i purchased something from.

He still has 3 items available for sale. He shafted me and ghosted a newbie hubber.

A bad rating alone wont help with this, If i could then i would post a comment on each of his existing listing.

I have sent Hub support/admin a mail about my position this morning and await response.

To make you feel even better, I can almost guarantee you they paid less than the R35k.

Edit, see Kranswurm beat me to it.

Edited by stefmeister

I'm currently having an altercation with a hubber i purchased something from.

He still has 3 items available for sale. He shafted me and ghosted a newbie hubber.

A bad rating alone wont help with this, If i could then i would post a comment on each of his existing listing.

I have sent Hub support/admin a mail about my position this morning and await response.

State your case and thehub will determine whether to name and shame

I was/am under the impression that the idea behind or spirit of the Buy & Sell was to promote the sport of cycling and that both seller and dealer feel like they had a fair deal.