To wield or not to wield

popcorn_skollie

To wield or not to wield  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Are you armed for purposes of safeguarding yourself and/or your belongings when you go out riding?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Assuming you answered yes, What are you wielding?

• Firearm
    • Gasgun or Non-Lethal Firearm
    • Mace or Pepper spray
    • Taser
    • Knife
    • Other (drop a comment in the thread to elaborate)
    • none
  3. 3. Assuming you answered no. Is arming yourself for rides something you would consider?

• Yes
    • No

Welding aluminum presents some unique challenges compared to welding steel or other common materials, particularly in terms of the chemistry and crack sensitivity.

In many cases, welding aluminum requires following some special procedures. Important factors when welding the material include: selecting the right filler metal; proper storage and thorough cleaning of the base material; and proper welding techniques.

If it's carbon then don't bother welding, the material seems to deteriorate immediately, not sure why, possibly rider error...

am i correct @V18?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Shebeen

Jip. I'm up to date and very sure of my draw and shot placement. Spend time at the range regularly working with from compromised scenarios etc. Had I been less prepared I would have potentially escalated the situation. 

On this particular day I just didn't feel like lethal force was necessary. He was always a bike length from me (what I used to create space). 

My main question was what everyone's tactics were between complete surrender and lethal force. 

From what @Jewbaccawrote I drew the most value. Answers 1-3 is to pacify the situation and hand over the belongings.

Once your life becomes in danger... Best be able to protect oneself. In this case I think pepper spray fits the bill nicely for up close and personal. Open carry viable. Creates a gap to run/ride for the hills. 

Certainly not trying to apply evolutionary pressure to bike jacker armament evolution by protecting myself. I don't buy into that theory anyways. It's not like they have done form of bikejacker hivemind.

Contrary to that theory, do we really want to be seen as the Mr D of vulnerable victims? Maybe if every few cyclist were able to deliver some horrible retort, we'd become less desirable targets? 

Anyways. In summary. Wees wakker. Ry regte plekke. Pepper spray op jou skouer. Gee die bike as hy met 'n mes/gun/vrinne vra. Goeie korttermyn all risk insurance. Leer om te hardloop met cleats aan. 

Don't count on cops/security guards and other civilians. Jy is op jou eie vir daai 10-30s.

13 hours ago, V18 said:

Haha!

Novel use of ChatGPT for sure! Not a bad answer at all.

I opted for the Byrna as it is one that doesn't require two hands to start shooting. 

I carry it in a chest pack (cerberus tac) with the one size zipped down for right hand access. Loaded with nylon and pepper alternating. Have commuted now a few times without drawing any attention and its a neat way to keep my phone close by.

The Tippman Tipx is too big and heavy. The Umarex HDR/HDP require a firm tap on the base to puncture the C02. The rest are rather expensive. Have a look on dye-hard website.

It certainly wont replace a real firearm, but from what I've seen in the area, anything more than an mild inconvenience for these attackers who want to make a quick buck without a scene is enough of a deterrent. Once he/they realize its an overpowered BB pistol you need to be GONE...or armed with something more substantial. I'll choose the "GONE" route as I'm too pretty and soft for prison.

For close-up surprises like this one, I now have Sabre Red pepper spray (flip top version) velcro'd to left backpack strap.

Anyways. Bike shopping.

Looking forward to reading everyone's "paraat" ideas.

A friend of mine was cycling with his wife when they were attacked by armed assailants . The attackers initially focused on his wife which gave him a chance to pull out his Byrna, when the attackers saw the Byrna they left his wife and ran away. But as you mentioned - at that point he didn't want to risk shooting at them in case they realise this is not a real gun and decide to make a second attempt. He has since replaced his Byrna with a real gun.

11 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

A friend of mine was cycling with his wife when they were attacked by armed assailants . The attackers initially focused on his wife which gave him a chance to pull out his Byrna, when the attackers saw the Byrna they left his wife and ran away. But as you mentioned - at that point he didn't want to risk shooting at them in case they realise this is not a real gun and decide to make a second attempt. He has since replaced his Byrna with a real gun.

https://safarioutdoor.co.za/pub/media/wysiwyg/pdf/Safari Outdoor Self Defence 2023.pdf

safari outdoor currently running a special on them

i commute daily most of the time alone, i stay in a dodgy area. i have been mugged less than 1km away from house, where no weapons was drawn i was force to the ground by 2 guys and the grabbed my bike and ran... the biggest issue in my case was my ego (this is my area it won't happen to me). this has happened more than 6 years ago... and while this was not the 1st time i have been mugged but the 1st time on my bike... i have just approached every situation differently since

in most case where i can i always think of my kids still having their father and me retaining my bike and of course my ego, so i just make a split second call and turn around or find an alternate route... December 2021 on a commute to work i was cut off by 4 males in car, before they could leave the car i had push more watts than MvDP in the opposite direction and they never saw me again.

I commute of table mountain and its been a hot spot of late, luckily i know most legal and not legal "routes" on and off the mountain so anyone who looks dodge to me without even trying to "sum" this person(s) up i just change my route.

I carry an expandable baton in my back pack, and i have drawn it a few times early enough to diffuse the situation... in some case i just put my hand in back pack and it diffused the situation. while i hope i never get into a case where i actually have to beat someone against the head.

agreed with most here, that yes the best would probably be to hand over the bike... and i don't want to paint a grim picture but things are getting worse and we may get to point where we have to give ourselves a fighting chance and this would mean carrying at all costs and at every time... hopefully not anytime soon

56 minutes ago, FirstV8 said:

For those curious know the size of my Pepper 9mm pistol here is a pic compared to a std computer mouse and my head light . 

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

Where did you buy it?

1 hour ago, FirstV8 said:

For those curious know the size of my Pepper 9mm pistol here is a pic compared to a std computer mouse and my head light . 

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5756.jpg

Wow that’s compact, it could double up as a pump as well as a last restort.

19 hours ago, Harryn said:

Wow, so hectic. Sorry this happened to you.

i plugged the conundrum into chatGPt, who opines as follows:

”I'm sorry, but I cannot provide a statistical success rate for defending against a bike jacking attack by being armed and not scared to use it against one's assailant in Johannesburg, South Africa.

There are several reasons for this:

Reliable statistics on the success rate of such defense strategies are hard to come by as not all incidents are reported to the police, and even when they are reported, the outcome may not be recorded accurately.

Success rates can vary depending on many factors, including the skill of the defender, the type of weapon used, the specific circumstances of the attack, and the level of training and experience of the attacker.

It's important to note that the use of force, even in self-defense, is subject to legal restrictions and consequences, and there is no guarantee that a defender who uses a weapon will not face legal repercussions.

In general, it's best to prioritize prevention and situational awareness to avoid being targeted in the first place. This may include taking precautions such as avoiding high-risk areas or times of day, being aware of your surroundings, and having a plan in case of an attack.”

anyway, I think you did the right thing. You’re alive (physically) unhurt and should be shopping for a new bike.

so, where does one buy such a pepper ball pistol. And do you need a license to carry it? 

I'm sorry, but I cannot provide a statistical success rate for defending against a bike jacking attack by being armed and not scared to use it against one's assailant in Johannesburg, South Africa.

There are several reasons for this:

1. Reliable statistics on the success rate of such defense strategies are hard to come by as not all incidents are reported to the police, and even when they are reported, the outcome may not be recorded accurately.

2. Success rates can vary depending on many factors, including the skill of the defender, the type of weapon used, the specific circumstances of the attack, and the level of training and experience of the attacker.

3. It's important to note that the use of force, even in self-defense, is subject to legal restrictions and consequences, and there is no guarantee that a defender who uses a weapon will not face legal repercussions.

In general, it's best to prioritize prevention and situational awareness to avoid being targeted in the first place. This may include taking precautions such as avoiding high-risk areas or times of day, being aware of your surroundings, and having a plan in case of an attack.

That

That's a very long winded way of saying ek f@kken weet nie

Ever been bike jacked?

i have, 2 knifes. One held to the throat the others the small of my back.

And no chance to do a single thing about it. It was the perfect trap. 

i got away because I chose to put my hands up and make myself no threat of any kind.

i shudder to think what may have happened if they found I was armed

@Furbzyou raise an excellent point here. You may be utterly and completely outwitted/overpowered despite your most vigilant/prepared attempts.

I guess one has to be aware that these guys may want to use what you have on you... On you. And those "smart triggers" never really demonstrated reliability. Sigh. 

Complete compliance is certainly wise in a case like that. 

Thanks for sharing and sorry that you had to experience that. 

On a recent group ride in Jozi, we stopped for coffee and there was a commotion close by/confusion. Out of seven riders, 4 conjured firearms out of nowhere

Ride last weekend, a member said he's swapping his 19 for a 43, so he can conceal easier.

Definitely feels like riders are arming themselves more or have been...could also just be jozi

Just lost on how you can carry in riding gear, maybe I should check some diets out😜