New ballot-style entry process for 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

Woa, Woa, wag n bietjie. Stop die lorrie. What don't you unnerstand about the Aurgust being the Funride World Champs???

Tell the first 10 start groups it's a Fun Ride and see what happens - life is serhiaais!

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We only had 32k riders because the route was only 47km if it was 109km less would have rocked up

I don't buy that at all

We only had 32k riders because the route was only 47km if it was 109km less would have rocked up

@ PureSavage are you part of the CTCT?

Nope, just enjoy putting things in perspective.

When they shortened the route last year I had my pitch fork out against the solidarity ride.

Also when they added a second stop at the DC I also sharpened my pitch fork, not always pro CTCT.

Just in this instance I see a mountain being made out of a mole hill.

Nope, just enjoy putting things in perspective.

When they shortened the route last year I had my pitch fork out against the solidarity ride.

Also when they added a second stop at the DC I also sharpened my pitch fork, not always pro CTCT.

Just in this instance I see a mountain being made out of a mole hill.

Rumour has it Team Sky will send a team next year, and CTCT pay for them out of our entry fees. (Good luck fending off them pitches, Savage :) )

Edited by Thor Buttox

IMO, this is the stupidest thing possible.

Why on earth go change a system that guarantees total sell-out in 8 hours. What more do you want?

oh... perhaps more PPA membership...

For those of us who travel across the country and have already pre-booked accommodation and paid for flights, joining the "crap-shoot" of "MAYBE" getting an entry is ludicrous. Much like the Cape Epic lottery which I've entered religiosly each year and not been successful.

And being a licenced racing VET, and supporting the "Cycle Tour"  (and CT for that matter) year after year, this whole new lottery system just stinks.

Travelling down from JHB is no easy task and has steadily year on year become more and more expensive with all the "add-ons". Now the possibility on not even getting a entry to RACE - (Yes for some of us its not merely a fun ride) almost is the last nail in the coffin...

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Dear Nicholas

As you know, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust (CTCTT) announced a new online ballot entry system for the 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour on Thursday morning.  As a loyal supporter and having participated in ten or more Cycle Tours, we wish to provide our reassurance that during the ballot process, your years of participation will be taken into account and a weighting applied. We are confident that our new online ballot entry system will serve riders well and ensure a more equitable process for all prospective participants.

Sincerely,

Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust

Dear Nicholas

As you know, the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust (CTCTT) announced a new online ballot entry system for the 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour on Thursday morning.  As a loyal supporter and having participated in ten or more Cycle Tours, we wish to provide our reassurance that during the ballot process, your years of participation will be taken into account and a weighting applied. We are confident that our new online ballot entry system will serve riders well and ensure a more equitable process for all prospective participants.

Sincerely,

Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust

So if you miss out despite that 10-years weighting you must be one REAL unlucky bugger  :devil:

This is tricky.

I actually think it is not such a bad thing. I have been trying to get into Sani2C and others for years now but you battle because the guys who have done it previously have preferance. Cool, one may want to do it a few times, but after 4-5 times, jeepers, let someone else have a go who has never got in.

I thought this may apply to the Argus but the trick is securing people who will turn up and finish. With the Sani example, 98% of the people who get an entry will turn up. With the Argus, take an entry away from someone who has done it 14 times and is definately going to rock up over the first timers, who may or may not arrive, is tricky

Edited by Baracuda

So if you miss out despite that 10-years weighting you must be one REAL unlucky bugger [emoji317]

Iv got 25 under the belt so my odds should be better. Think I should go play lotto?

Iv got 25 under the belt so my odds should be better. Think I should go play lotto?

I don't want odds - I want certainty.

Damn I have supported you for 25 years and not skipped a single one.

Long Wheel Base please contact them somehow they have to do something - I will be contacting them.

This is tricky.

I actually think it is not such a bad thing. I have been trying to get into Sani2C and others for years now but you battle because the guys who have done it previously have preferance. Cool, one may want to do it a few times, but after 4-5 times, jeepers, let someone else have a go who has never got in.

I thought this may apply to the Argus but the trick is securing people who will turn up and finish. With the Sani example, 98% of the people who get an entry will turn up. With the Argus, take an entry away from someone who has done it 14 times and is definately going to rock up over the first timers, who may or may not arrive, is tricky

I have a pal who has tried for years to get into Imana and sani2c. Eventually he just gave up hasn't bothered with those events. I think he'll live a happy life without those medals.

I like the new system CTCTT has adopted for many reasons. Yes its equitable and many people don't see why but was talking to a female colleague in the office yesterday. She was telling us that she would love to ride the CTCT but often she doesn't have the cash. She's a single and earns OK but cash flow is a problem. She always seems to not have the necessary available. Maybe its bad planning but she reckons if she gets an entry via the lottery then she has a little under a month to budget and pay without the pressure of needing to use the internet at work which is often slow due to the volume of traffic created by Flacebrokers, twits and instantgrammers. So she's super stoked.

I realized putting yourself in someone else's shoes often provides the answers we seek.

It also struck home that there so many other people who would dearly love to give the CTCT a bash but can't for financial capacity or cash flow reasons.

......and I guess this opens the condemnation speeches of if you really want to ride you will find a way, what I have come to understand about bucketlisters is that they are also opportunists who believe that it will happen when its meant to happen. Maybe getting your ticket to ride via a lottery will result in more bucketlisters turning up on race/ride day

I have a pal who has tried for years to get into Imana and sani2c. Eventually he just gave up hasn't bothered with those events. I think he'll live a happy life without those medals.

I like the new system CTCTT has adopted for many reasons. Yes its equitable and many people don't see why but was talking to a female colleague in the office yesterday. She was telling us that she would love to ride the CTCT but often she doesn't have the cash. She's a single and earns OK but cash flow is a problem. She always seems to not have the necessary available. Maybe its bad planning but she reckons if she gets an entry via the lottery then she has a little under a month to budget and pay without the pressure of needing to use the internet at work which is often slow due to the volume of traffic created by Flacebrokers, twits and instantgrammers. So she's super stoked.

I realized putting yourself in someone else's shoes often provides the answers we seek.

It also struck home that there so many other people who would dearly love to give the CTCT a bash but can't for financial capacity or cash flow reasons.

......and I guess this opens the condemnation speeches of if you really want to ride you will find a way, what I have come to understand about bucketlisters is that they are also opportunists who believe that it will happen when its meant to happen. Maybe getting your ticket to ride via a lottery will result in more bucketlisters turning up on race/ride day

I agree with the points you have made. I'm actually very fortunate that my dad has enough leeway at work to be able to enter at the drop of a hat. Me on the other hand can't sit and wait till the entry opens and wait for slow connection.

This is a silly move by CTCT. Many of us have supported this race year after year and we're the ones who kept it going when entries took a couple months to sell out.

The year that i don't win my entry I'll be done with this race and slowly but surely they can alienate all of us one by one until they once again struggle to selloff the entries.

a lot of people make a living out the of the 'Argus' - this is just another ploy to make a bit more out of cyclists. in fact R2.4 mill plus interest more.if you think think the ppa and the ct tour trust have the sport of cycling as a priority think again.

What is the relevance of people not starting? Somebody paid the entry - corporate or individual. The money is in the bank. Less riders means easier logistics. They know what the expected % of no-shows are and budget accordingly.

Last tour brought the expenses into sharp focus for me. After tickets, hotel, bike transport etc. etc. just to be under the shower by 08:00. All of this on top of paying and training for 2 laps. Reality Big Time.

This will be good for PPA and the charities and that is good.

I will be watching on TV.

Oh and I cannot see what the point will be to renew my PPA membership.