ScottCM

5 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

This will probably be my last post on this thread regarding Comrades '24. I have decided to pull out due to another ITB flare up, also had a chest issue recently. I haven't trained for close to 3 weeks now. I have enough overall mileage in my legs but no runs longer than a marathon. I would rather not do it than suffer for 40% of the race. I don't care about the atmosphere that I'll be missing as my health is far more important to me.

All the best to those who will be running. Go out and do yourselves proud. I'll cheer you on from my couch.

That sucks ....

Hope you recover fully

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

This will probably be my last post on this thread regarding Comrades '24. I have decided to pull out due to another ITB flare up, also had a chest issue recently. I haven't trained for close to 3 weeks now. I have enough overall mileage in my legs but no runs longer than a marathon. I would rather not do it than suffer for 40% of the race. I don't care about the atmosphere that I'll be missing as my health is far more important to me.

All the best to those who will be running. Go out and do yourselves proud. I'll cheer you on from my couch.

Sorry to hear man. Have a few friends taking part. One will be getting his green number and another who also would’ve done so, is withdrawing due to a recurring foot issue. 
Here’s to enjoying a deserved feet up 🍻 

9 hours ago, tjommies3 said:

Sorry to hear. 19 days to go and I have the bloody flu. 

Not sure about the only suffering 40% of the race, thought that was a good day out! 

7 hours ago, dave303e said:

Tough choice, but often the best choice. The race will be there next year. Welcome to the bench, we can cheer from the sidelines for the year.

I have been between Nike Pegasus trail and Adidas Terrex trail 240's for a few years now. Honestly value for money daily trail shoes they are hard to beat. Adidas sale shoes are stupidly well priced

Been very impressed by adidas terrex range so moved to them for road shoes too. Can get decent deals, but the Boston 12s never went that way so had to pay full retail! 

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Not sure about the only suffering 40% of the race, thought that was a good day out! 

eish be careful, plenty of swine flu around

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Been very impressed by adidas terrex range so moved to them for road shoes too. Can get decent deals, but the Boston 12s never went that way so had to pay full retail! 

There were Boston 11's for R1250 on adidas website last week

16 hours ago, dave303e said:

There were Boston 11's for R1250 on adidas website last week

The internet rabbit hole I went down would suggest the 12s are much better. Plus I don't think I'll fit into the ladies 4 they have at that price

On 5/22/2024 at 6:57 AM, tjommies3 said:

Sorry to hear, that sucks... 

17 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I'd take 40% for sure on the start line :)
Also had a bit of a bug, seems to have largely cleared though, but I'm still carrying a pharmacy around with me... guess I will be going in well rested as usual. 

Not got to the 600km I planned, but more than the 320km of last year at least. Been a while since an Up Run, hope I can make it all work!

On 5/20/2024 at 6:49 PM, ChrisF said:

Good to know

I need maximum cushioning due to the arthritis in my feet

I'm on Asics, Gel Nimbus... have pretty wide feet and they've always served me well, and the new 25's have extra cushioning. They ain't cheap, but the physio isn't either... and I went through about R8k on others shoes trying to find something a bit cheaper that worked for me, but had no luck. 

Keep an eye on Poobie Naidoos for specials, their standard pricing is almost other peoples 'special price', but they drop quite a bit more as the new versions are always launched. 

Total Sports also surprisingly good with their specials, and the TS brand gear is darn good quality too, especially for the price. 

Found the Puma Scend Pro marked down to 900 zar, a steal. Also found the Puma Fast-Trac on discount directly from their site, got these for trail and they've been great. 

10 hours ago, Andrew Steer said:

Also had a bit of a bug, seems to have largely cleared though, but I'm still carrying a pharmacy around with me... guess I will be going in well rested as usual. 

Not got to the 600km I planned, but more than the 320km of last year at least. Been a while since an Up Run, hope I can make it all work!

was 600kms for the year in prep for Comrades or do you start counting it from October the previous year?

22 hours ago, Andrew Steer said:

There he is. The original undertrained athlete himself. Dude, every time I think to myself that I'm undertrained I say to myself, "Andrew would make this work on race day!" 

22 hours ago, Andrew Steer said:

320km....sjoe i need to go back a year on this thread to see how that worked out?

I'm just short of 900km since jan1, with a good 100km of hiking in there too.

Wanted to have done 1000km, but don't think that's going to happen now. I guess everyone says they wish they'd done more.

I have followed the Comrades Mtshali program that you download off the site. Kind of used it as a guide mainly, and then done hills/recovery runs when they are set. Looking back I have done about 85% of the requirement. I think my top week was 80km distance wise.

BUT haven't got injured, which was the main goal.

Rookie question ....

As winter sets in, the Park Walk events are starting a few minutes before sunrise, thus properly chilly morning air .... heaven forbid there is a bit of a breeze.

First event I was underdressed ....

Last event I only had one hot top ... sweating like a pig, but could not take it off as it was too cold.

Any tips ?

I see some participants use a fleece top, which is tied around their waist when the morning heats up.

On 5/23/2024 at 12:38 PM, PhilipV said:

Anyone else at George MUT this weekend? 
I’ll be throwing my hat in the ring for the marathon. Quite amped for an Outeniqua adventure. 

Got some friends running, looks like a great event - enjoy!