ScottCM

I think its making it unnecessarily complicated. But hopelessly so.

What about route ascent? What about temperature? What about wind speeds? You can extrapolate as far and dumb and no less relevant as you want.

Smart man getting involved where he needn't be. The race is either in one place or virtual - theres no inbetween

Agreed. Where will it end.

Just now we'll have the altitude Comrades qualifier events using reductions on their times.

A real race it should be if results are the desire. A virtual event should not be for results.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a micro duathlon on Saturday.

Run 2

Cycle 12

Run 2

Cycle 12.

It was pretty cool TBH. And interestingly the 2nd efforts for both disciplines were faster than the first efforts.

I'm sad to break it to you bud... but you seem to be turning into a multi-sport athlete.

Enjoy! ;)

I'm sad to break it to you bud... but you seem to be turning into a multi-sport athlete.

Enjoy! ;)

OMG!! Someone called me an athlete. Woooohooo. 

This weekend the plan is to do a 5km run and then the Noordhoek fatboy cruise from HB and back. so just one kit change. Getting in and out of sweaty running and cycling kit was possibly not the best idea. I did the 2nd run leg in my cycling kit. Must have looked like a total berk but whatevers.

Our house location is PERFECT for this type of malarkey being less than a km from the foot of chappies.

*Edit. It's also pretty close to HB beach Maybe throw in a little swim? ......

Edited by Duane_Bosch

OMG!! Someone called me an athlete. Woooohooo.

This weekend the plan is to do a 5km run and then the Noordhoek fatboy cruise from HB and back. so just one kit change. Getting in and out of sweaty running and cycling kit was possibly not the best idea. I did the 2nd run leg in my cycling kit. Must have looked like a total berk but whatevers.

Our house location is PERFECT for this type of malarkey being less than a km from the foot of chappies.

*Edit. It's also pretty close to HB beach Maybe throw in a little swim? ......

We (few from my club) have cycled to a ParkRun, changed shoes and shirt but stayed in the bib shorts, then full gas on the run before riding back to our normal start point for a coffee. As you say, “looked like a total berk but whatevers” - it was fun.

Started a new training plan, sort of. I'll be leeching some info from my wife's 80/20 plan, and am using the maffetone sums to run according to heart rate.

A low heart rate.

Very low.

In fact I had to walk up each hill today. It's very weird, I've always been pretty leisurely but this is next level. I'll give it a go for as long as I can. I've read only good things about zone 2 kind of long and slow training.

Started a new training plan, sort of. I'll be leeching some info from my wife's 80/20 plan, and am using the maffetone sums to run according to heart rate.

A low heart rate.

Very low.

In fact I had to walk up each hill today. It's very weird, I've always been pretty leisurely but this is next level. I'll give it a go for as long as I can. I've read only good things about zone 2 kind of long and slow training.

IMHO that really works if you are chasing a result.

Track/speedwork twice a week and slow runs, then base everything on your fatigue.

Last time I did that was to try to run a sub3. Nowadays I do way too many km constantly, all my runs are fun and I can run a 3:30 marathon or 100 miler trail run on any given day.

Developing the base over time is key, so that 80/20 teaches you not to neglect your base while also getting you to run faster. People don't belive you when you say the effort on the day to run a 3 hour or a 4 hour marathon is the same, it's just the training that is different.

Good luck. I can't stick to a program. Be it eating, running, cycling, paddling..... I will drop anything to go for a surf and I sometimes head out for a 10km up the mountain and do 40. 

If you are disciplined to stick to it, you will definitely see results. IMHO programs like this are to allow people to train up to an event, monitor their well being and not burn out. 

If, like me, your motivation is not results and you never 'train' for anything specific but rather have a definite 'lifestyle' and mindset, it can become a little tedious and frustrating.

Kids away, mom's relaxing, hit up that favourite long run/13 peaks.... oh, wait, no. 9km flat zone 2...... 

Kids away, mom's relaxing, hit up that favourite long run/13 peaks.... oh, wait, no. 9km flat zone 2...... 

Luckily I don't live on the side of a mountain

A low heart rate.

Very low.

My daughter asked if she could come with me this morning. Extremely over-enthusiastic but totally under-estimated how hard it would be. We did 3.8Km, of which 3Km was probably at walking pace.

I can see myself going back to my “couch to 5Km” plan I did in 2018 to get her used to running for 30 mins. Being a 10 year old, I don’t want her running too fast at such a young age. It will then force me to run at zone 1/2 more often.

Currently sitting with Sciatic nerve issue. Seems to have caught it early.

Mainly due to lockdown six months not stretching properly, did not do any gymwork, long hours in front of the laptop, nou is ek gef**.

Left leg is sort of "dumb" when I run. Having to do physio and a lot of pilates type exercises. Luckily no issue on the bike

Anyone had experience with this?