ScottCM

27 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

question to the crowd.

doing Two oceans ultra on saturday, mainly an experience/training to build up to comrades.

I have been running to the loo since last friday with this gastro bug. think it's sorted now though. probiotics kicking in.

I was hoping to test out nutrition for Comrades, but reckon need to go a bit more conservative. What are the easiest digestible locally available gels one can use. (I know about maurten, wondering if the hype and $$$ tag is justified.). Normally my stomach is ok with anything, and i've tried all different brands along the way. Was going to go with a combo of (zero caffeine) Gu and 32GI 

Benefits of maurten gels is that you need to eat half as many for similar amounts of carbs, the gel 160 is essentially a double gel - 65gram gel with 40grams carb. Gu gel is 32grams and 23grams carbs. So if you are fueling according to carb intake it is not that much better, but more convenient.

It is easier to hammer 2 maurten than 4 gu's. But for me with the balance I prefer 3 non caffeine gu's and 1 caffeine gu per hour to manage the caffeine intake. I am on 0 caffeine during the week. The counter to this was finishing a marathon with 14 empty gel sachets in running belt after a marathon...

The maurten drink 320 is a different story, it just has a much higher carb content than other drinks in less volume, so it has a huge addvantage, especially in like an expedition where you can only pack certain weight and have to carry it before consumption.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Shebeen said:

question to the crowd.

doing Two oceans ultra on saturday, mainly an experience/training to build up to comrades.

I have been running to the loo since last friday with this gastro bug. think it's sorted now though. probiotics kicking in.

I was hoping to test out nutrition for Comrades, but reckon need to go a bit more conservative. What are the easiest digestible locally available gels one can use. (I know about maurten, wondering if the hype and $$$ tag is justified.). Normally my stomach is ok with anything, and i've tried all different brands along the way. Was going to go with a combo of (zero caffeine) Gu and 32GI 

Did a marathon end last year with the week leading up to it having the worst stomach bug of my life plus a cold. I trained with tailwind naked drink mix (unflavored) and Maurten gels + bars also ran the marathon on it. Imo worth the hype since this didn't put ANY stress on my already delicate gastric system and no flavor fatigue. Since I was knackered I ran longer than anticipated but the boost from the compact carbs helped me through. I also make a point now to include probiotic (Rawbiotic Gut) and immune boosters from the start to the finish of my training plan and I can happily report as someone who's destined to always suffer one of the two so far so good.

23 hours ago, Shebeen said:

question to the crowd.

Maurten Gels for the win, purely because I tried them for the 1st time at CTM last year, picked it up the day before at the Registration Expo, no GI issues on the day.

can anybody confirm for sure that the route is identical to last year ?

Wondering if the little dog leg as you enter Noordhoek is the same as last year.

TTOM 2024

Plans don't always work out on the day it seems! Mind was told to **** off by the body in no uncertain terms today. A disappointing day out with 30min slower on the clock than last year.

Dammit..means I have to comeback next year 🫣

Edited by McD23

4 hours ago, McD23 said:

TTOM 2024

Plans don't always work out on the day it seems! Mind was told to **** off by the body in no uncertain terms today. A disappointing day out with 30min slower on the clock than last year.

Dammit..means I have to comeback next year 🫣

Unlucky man, that head wind was brutal followed by an oh so welcoming tailwind from Kalk Bay onwards.

14 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Unlucky man, that head wind was brutal followed by an oh so welcoming tailwind from Kalk Bay onwards.

Indeed it was. although the little head wind on the 'nose' in the valley of death was the coupe  de grace for me 😬

On 4/8/2024 at 12:46 PM, milky4130 said:

Will be my 1st Ultra, will also be the 1st time I run longer than last years Cape Town Marathon, so I'm heading into unchartered territory here. Managed to run Chapmans Peak Drive Up & down from both sides last week. I'll be happy with Sub 5, anything less will be a bonus.

Can we jolt this down for the undersell of the year so far?

Jeezlike man, well done with your Sub 4!! 

Lekker warmed up for IM now haha

2 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

“Aim for the moon. If you miss, you may hit a star”

13 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

bliksem, that is rapid....aim for sub5 and get sub4?

3 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Where are all the race reports?

I came I ran I finished!

Was hoping for 5:45, but happy to finish without niggles ahead of comrades.

Tried to be very conservative going out, but was under the splits for 5:45 pacing.

at halfway I thought it was going to be a struggle to finish, but held on up constantia nek without walking and then just got home from there on willpower*.

5:42 in the end, still a bit stiff today but happy that I did it.

Will probably write a better longer form report, it's an incredible event.

* gel/nutritution feedback. Surprised at how meagre the stations are at running races, you have to take your own food (or run on coke/powerade!), there was one with bananas and another with potatoes. Which means the clubs all set up their own stand somewhere along the way for their members. After being sick, I was actually nervous of having coke (which i normally love in races) so happy that i went with Gu/32gi, felt full after constantia nek. Will definitely try maurten on a long hard run sometime to see how it goes. They had a "2oceans race hamper" @ R900 that i probably should have gone for.

Thanks Guys.

I feel like I was more a 4:30 on the day runner, but I like a challenge so I jumped on the Sub 4 Bus. It was hard and I was probably breathing the loudest out of everyone in the bus. A surprisingly small group no bigger than 15-20 runners at any given time. We would regularly pick up & drop off guys along the way. All the splits we were ahead by a few seconds to a couple of minutes. I was surprised at how well I could hang with the group going up Chappies, I ran it for the first time 2 weeks before in training so knew it well, although I've cycled it a million times running hits differently. While ascending & descending I already noticed guys in dribs and drabs were pulling away from us at will but I stuck to the bus as I was in unknown territory in terms of distance, elevation & the pace up until that point. As we hit the stretch between bottom of Chappies & 1st Hout Bay Circle I checked the time & noticed we were not going to make the 42.2km split of 2:56, that's is when I also decided to get off the bus and went solo for the next 14-16kms. In hindsight my Garmin was ahead on distance so I panicked a bit too early but still happy with the choice I made as the Pace Setter himself missed the Sub 4 & came in at 4:01. If I had stuck with the bus I surely would've also missed the goal as I would've been running at a more comfortable pace for the last +-6kms.

Longest Distance, 1st Ultra Marathon, Sub 4 & Silver Medal in the process.

image.png.b81b669197048f07f44312c3cd20a703.pngimage.png.57f35e2e8194a124a35c4e7e5e7f2832.pngimage.png.fd7ddfd8e1d4df804f483870ebe3a32e.png

12 hours ago, Shebeen said:

bliksem, that is rapid....aim for sub5 and get sub4?

I came I ran I finished!

Was hoping for 5:45, but happy to finish without niggles ahead of comrades.

Tried to be very conservative going out, but was under the splits for 5:45 pacing.

at halfway I thought it was going to be a struggle to finish, but held on up constantia nek without walking and then just got home from there on willpower*.

5:42 in the end, still a bit stiff today but happy that I did it.

Will probably write a better longer form report, it's an incredible event.

* gel/nutritution feedback. Surprised at how meagre the stations are at running races, you have to take your own food (or run on coke/powerade!), there was one with bananas and another with potatoes. Which means the clubs all set up their own stand somewhere along the way for their members. After being sick, I was actually nervous of having coke (which i normally love in races) so happy that i went with Gu/32gi, felt full after constantia nek. Will definitely try maurten on a long hard run sometime to see how it goes. They had a "2oceans race hamper" @ R900 that i probably should have gone for.

Well Done. Maurten was my nutrition on the day again. 160 Carb drink before bed the night before, 320 carb drink & bar for breakfast. Planned to Race on 8 Maurten Gels 4 normal & 4 caffeine. 1st one at 5kms then a gel every 6kms alternating between the 2, but I lost one normal gel in the dark while messing with my nutrition belt on the go. So the later feeds got spread out to every 7-8kms. Just grabbed a cup of water from the tables until the last 2-3 water points I started taking coke & powerade.

Just got back from a ride over Constantia Nek, went searching for my legs. The amount of empty gel packet litter is unbelievable. if I say +100 it is no exaggeration.

2 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Just got back from a ride over Constantia Nek, went searching for my legs. The amount of empty gel packet litter is unbelievable. if I say +100 it is no exaggeration.

The way everyone drops them I assumed it will be picked up.  I used the bins, there are plenty of them.

On the subject of litter, having a plastic free race is a pain. I know the reasons for it are great,  but paper cups are crap compared to a simple sachet of water that you can take on the run

22 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Thanks Guys.

I feel like I was more a 4:30 on the day runner, but I like a challenge so I jumped on the Sub 4 Bus. It was hard and I was probably breathing the loudest out of everyone in the bus. A surprisingly small group no bigger than 15-20 runners at any given time. We would regularly pick up & drop off guys along the way. All the splits we were ahead by a few seconds to a couple of minutes. I was surprised at how well I could hang with the group going up Chappies, I ran it for the first time 2 weeks before in training so knew it well, although I've cycled it a million times running hits differently. While ascending & descending I already noticed guys in dribs and drabs were pulling away from us at will but I stuck to the bus as I was in unknown territory in terms of distance, elevation & the pace up until that point. As we hit the stretch between bottom of Chappies & 1st Hout Bay Circle I checked the time & noticed we were not going to make the 42.2km split of 2:56, that's is when I also decided to get off the bus and went solo for the next 14-16kms. In hindsight my Garmin was ahead on distance so I panicked a bit too early but still happy with the choice I made as the Pace Setter himself missed the Sub 4 & came in at 4:01. If I had stuck with the bus I surely would've also missed the goal as I would've been running at a more comfortable pace for the last +-6kms.

Longest Distance, 1st Ultra Marathon, Sub 4 & Silver Medal in the process.

image.png.b81b669197048f07f44312c3cd20a703.pngimage.png.57f35e2e8194a124a35c4e7e5e7f2832.pngimage.png.fd7ddfd8e1d4df804f483870ebe3a32e.png

That's a great result, thanks for sharing. The guy driving the 5:30 bus was going to require some impressive driving at the end to make his stop in time. Apparently came in with not many passengers (I got off gracefully coming down chappies)