ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to meet you too :) Thanks for organising this. What a great idea!

17:17 is insanely quick(guessing you knew that already) out of curiosity, what was your stride length during that?

Also-to the rest of you- I am interested in your average stride length and your average pace. Share away.

17:17 is insanely quick(guessing you knew that already) out of curiosity, what was your stride length during that?

Also-to the rest of you- I am interested in your average stride length and your average pace. Share away.

Agreed. 1650m altitude, 48m gain, road course with plenty of 90° corners and occasional traffic; that's a big time. I can only imagine what that would translate to on a flat course in Cape Town.

I can't speak for Ridr's stats but, watching him, he does have a noticeably long, efficient gait.

post-63043-0-21624600-1616391495_thumb.png

So i finally found some skoens.

Decided on the Saucony Endorphin Pro for speedwork and the Hoka Rincon 2 for LSD.

First run in the Saucony's was promising. Managed a PB on my 5km. 

4:30/km (22:30?) is quick, and you're only going to get faster with the consistent training and increased distance. Nice work.

So i finally found some skoens.

Decided on the Saucony Endorphin Pro for speedwork and the Hoka Rincon 2 for LSD.

First run in the Saucony's was promising. Managed a PB on my 5km.

Definitely not everyday runners those Saucony But like you said you prefer daily running in a fast shoe. Each to his own but I just prefer (and I'm sure it's the same for many others) leaving fast shoes for specific fast runs and almost as an award for races. And then daily running in things like Pegasus, Nimbus, 1080s, Ghosts etc. and maybe a faster shoe for tempo runs/intervals (but still not the race shoe). It does make a difference on 'race day' when you whip out the racers rather than running in such types all the time.

Nicely done on the 5km! I'm sure you already know it but be careful of falling into the trap of trying to run a route or distance quicker all the time. Over the long term it won't pay off and you will get frustrated and see little improvement. It took me a while to learn it myself. Running slower (in general combined with focused interval type running) to run faster. That is what works.

Some of the more experienced runners here would more than likely have found the same at some stage in their development.

Edit to add: for the easy runs (and workout runs too) find a route that is as flat as possible. No hills or gradient at all if possible. It's very difficult in most parts of SA of course but it does help to be able to run a consistent equal effort without having to go up and down gradient. One might think oh it's just an easy run I'll just go slowly up this little hill. Often this is difficult to achieve in reality.

A treadmill is an option to consider for such efforts like easy jogs or tempo etc.

Edited by b-rad

According to a calculator. My stride is 1.4m for an average pace of 7:10/mile... Goodness knows what that means[emoji3526]

According to a calculator. My stride is 1.4m for an average pace of 7:10/mile... Goodness knows what that means[emoji3526]

Stride length is important, however useless without high cadence as well. 

This is from a recent 5k I did, I'm only 177cm tall. High Cadence with longer stride length is free speed. On longer easy runs I'll still have a cadence of around 1750-180 stride length comes down to 1.35-1.45. Always working on keeping the cadence up. 

post-7883-0-14063600-1616410471_thumb.png

Stride length is important, however useless without high cadence as well.

This is from a recent 5k I did, I'm only 177cm tall. High Cadence with longer stride length is free speed. On longer easy runs I'll still have a cadence of around 1750-180 stride length comes down to 1.35-1.45. Always working on keeping the cadence up.

Yup...I'm 6ft and with a mile run i did recently my avg cadence was 178, which equated to 1.6m strive length. I'm am all legs.. . so maybe should be working on increasing my stride length for the faster shorter runs

I am 1,78, for a recent 10km that I did, slower runs generally average 178 - 185 cadence.  With stride length you also have to be careful of over striding.

Running Dynamics
189 spm
Avg Run Cadence 
194 spm
Max Run Cadence
1.16 m
Avg Stride Length

Definitely not everyday runners those Saucony But like you said you prefer daily running in a fast shoe. Each to his own but I just prefer (and I'm sure it's the same for many others) leaving fast shoes for specific fast runs and almost as an award for races. And then daily running in things like Pegasus, Nimbus, 1080s, Ghosts etc. and maybe a faster shoe for tempo runs/intervals (but still not the race shoe). It does make a difference on 'race day' when you whip out the racers rather than running in such types all the time.

Nicely done on the 5km! I'm sure you already know it but be careful of falling into the trap of trying to run a route or distance quicker all the time. Over the long term it won't pay off and you will get frustrated and see little improvement. It took me a while to learn it myself. Running slower (in general combined with focused interval type running) to run faster. That is what works.

Some of the more experienced runners here would more than likely have found the same at some stage in their development.

Edit to add: for the easy runs (and workout runs too) find a route that is as flat as possible. No hills or gradient at all if possible. It's very difficult in most parts of SA of course but it does help to be able to run a consistent equal effort without having to go up and down gradient. One might think oh it's just an easy run I'll just go slowly up this little hill. Often this is difficult to achieve in reality.

A treadmill is an option to consider for such efforts like easy jogs or tempo etc.

oh for sure. The cheeky 5km was purely to test the shoes in an environment I was familiar with and it felt good to blast it out. That run was not part of my programme. Just for fun. It was nice feeling what 4:30/km felt like.

It varies but on average my weekly programme consists of LSD, one quick run, intervals, one trail run and some other variation runs that sound a bit weird. For example, this week I have a run called a “Monoghetti Fartlek” which kinda sounds like an old Italian man with a flatulence issue.

In terms of shoes, the hokas will sort of be the go to training shoes with the saucony’s being the speed shoes.

I have also really enjoyed doing some of my intervals on a grass 400metre track. These are great to do barefoot.

In fact, the hardest thing for me to achieve in your post is finding somewhere flat. LOL. It might be easier to run a 17:17 5km then finding a flat route. Auckland be having some hills!!!

I appreciate all the advice. Since taking a more structured and varied approach, my running has been much more enjoyable and beneficial.