ScottCM

Be careful jumping into a 5 day a week running plan. I would recommend that you start running 3 days a week and supplement running on the other days with cycling or gym. After several weeks add another day of running. 

THIS ! 

I can agree to based on experience 

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful jumping into a 5 day a week running plan. I would recommend that you start running 3 days a week and supplement running on the other days with cycling or gym. After several weeks add another day of running.

Good point.

I'll do a ramp-up. Will start on 3 runs and a couple of cycles a week and will look to swap one cycle day for a run after a month and a fifth run after two months.

Good point.

I'll do a ramp-up. Will start on 3 runs and a couple of cycles a week and will look to swap one cycle day for a run after a month and a fifth run after two months.

A lot will depend on the plan you are considering as a 5 day plan may have very easy and short runs in the beginning of the base phase before going into the build phase where there will be more intensity and duration.  You will need to look at the plan you are considering using to see how the workouts are structured and factor in whether you need to ramp up as considering.

To add to marathon program ideas, what I tend to do for road (when I did that) was to build up to running the full distance of the race (whatever distance it might be) per week. Then add specific work and intervals and more days/volume. 

And do a couple of runs that surpasses 32k's.

That is roundabout the mark where all the gremlins initially come into play. Whether your shoes are good for longer than half marathon distance, bonking, walking, cramps, a sudden dislike in things you used to eat before, all those fun things... 

Good luck - and enjoy the journey! As well as the destination. Your first marathon remains a super special moment.

I have a question for you guys who are more technically minded than I am..

I have been drinking the minimus/zero drop cool aid for 15 odd years. The biggest heal/toe difference I've had was 2mm in my Nike run free knit in 2015.

On the trail, what would be the effect of going from a zero drop (Read Altra Lone Peak etc) to say a 6mm drop?

The new Nike trail shoes look RAD and I feel like I want a change. But not sure if I've hamstrung myself. 

Is it really going to make no difference at all? My heart says I should just try it but my head says I should at least ask first.

Edited by Jewbacca

I'm not an expert... but my guess is that going up is not going to make much of a difference. The problem comes when you go down in drop and the calves suddenly gets a bit more of a stretch.

Plus, it's trail so you hardly ever land "flat" anyways. At a stage I had shoes varying from 0 (Altra) to 4 (Saucony) I usually ran with interchangeably. And then I actually had 8mm Saucony I ran with when I did marathons or Oceans. But I do tend to strike forefoot - I think that also makes the heel offset less of an impact. Just touch down quickly with the heel.

Edit: PS - I have also been told my calves are very flexible, so that may also play a role.

Edited by SeaBee

I'm not an expert... but my guess is that going up is not going to make much of a difference. The problem comes when you go down in drop and the calves suddenly gets a bit more of a stretch.

Plus, it's trail so you hardly ever land "flat" anyways. At a stage I had shoes varying from 0 (Altra) to 4 (Saucony) I usually ran with interchangeably. And then I actually had 8mm Saucony I ran with when I did marathons or Oceans. But I do tend to strike forefoot - I think that also makes the heel offset less of an impact. Just touch down quickly with the heel.

Edit: PS - I have also been told my calves are very flexible, so that may also play a role.

This was my take on it.

Anyone run in the new Nike Wildhorse 7's?

I have a question for you guys who are more technically minded than I am..

I have been drinking the minimus/zero drop cool aid for 15 odd years. The biggest heal/toe difference I've had was 2mm in my Nike run free knit in 2015.

On the trail, what would be the effect of going from a zero drop (Read Altra Lone Peak etc) to say a 6mm drop?

The new Nike trail shoes look RAD and I feel like I want a change. But not sure if I've hamstrung myself. 

Is it really going to make no difference at all? My heart says I should just try it but my head says I should at least ask first.

What about Inov8? They have around a 3mm drop. Something like the Terraultra G270?

What about Inov8? They have around a 3mm drop. Something like the Terraultra G270?

I have a weird relationship with Inov8. They were my 'go to' shoe for the trails about 8 ish years ago but we fell out of love. My brain still associates them negatively.

I could conversely just buy more Altras. I'm just bored of drinking the same cool aid for so many years

Ruth Chepngetich New 21k world record in Istanbul. 64:02. 30 secs quicker!

That's just ridiculous. 30s over that distance.... WOW 

Hey sneaky bugger, i see your name is on the start list for UTD 160 171 . How is the body feeling? are you in full taper seen as its just over a fortnight away?