ScottCM

Distance being the key, so if a little gps watch does not measure the distance consistently accurate... then what?

Another example, run out in the open and a wrist based gps works pretty well, run in a forest, amongst tall buildings or anywhere the sat signal is disturbed and then your distance ends up being disturbed as well.

anyway a fuss about a minor issue, carry on  :w00t:

well if your gps distance isn't accurate then you're not really going to trust anything from the watch apart from the time..

I never knew people cared about stride length. if it was important then it would be very easy to calculate from all the data a watch picks up. I'm just not sure the requirement is there. I dunno if my watch even does it - (suunto spartain trainer wrist) but since it can do paddling cadence i'm pretty sure it's possible - i've never looked.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gone are the days of counting strokes on a 200 or having Nandor barking at you from a dinghy. 

well if your gps distance isn't accurate then you're not really going to trust anything from the watch apart from the time..

I never knew people cared about stride length. if it was important then it would be very easy to calculate from all the data a watch picks up. I'm just not sure the requirement is there. I dunno if my watch even does it - (suunto spartain trainer wrist) but since it can do paddling cadence i'm pretty sure it's possible - i've never looked.

hahaha I had plenty of focus, just no gadgets!

But ja, I often think 'maybe I should get fast again this year' then I go to a few track days and remember how much hard work it takes over and above just running and decide I'm more than happy to plod out a 3:30 hahahaha

There's an old dude that runs for pdac. He still runs without a watch. He's run silver comrades without a watch and in one or two instances missed a silver by seconds or minutes because of that. Hard as nails though... He had a stuffed achilles last time a ran comrades and still ran.

Just looked up his profile...2018 and 2019 (his 34th and 35th comrades) he ran a 7:02 and 7:06...crikey! Imagine being 55 and running your PB.... There's hope for me still

Edited by Stretch

I used to work in retail sales planning. We were able to drill down into the sales on colour and size level.

And yet our planning manager always warned against getting lost in Analysis Paralysis.

It's easy to get caught up in data, but damn it's lekker comparing my activities over time.

Hey guys looking to do a 10k sub 40min in Aug / Sep (training to start in June). I see Garmin has some good progarmmes otherwise I might buy one of Ben Parkes websites. You guys have any recommendations ? 

If you have a strava subscription they also have options (McMillan programme). My wife followed the Garmin Coach programme for 5k and it was extremely tedious. Plus I don't think it catered for goals below 5min/km.

Hey guys looking to do a 10k sub 40min in Aug / Sep (training to start in June). I see Garmin has some good progarmmes otherwise I might buy one of Ben Parkes websites. You guys have any recommendations ? 

I recently completed one of the garmin 10k plans, was intermediate, can't remember which coach I chose. It was a bit light on the easy running, but the workouts were spot on. There was often 1 rest day separating hard workouts, and even a hard workout with a long run the next day.

Syncing the calendar to the watch and the guided workouts were a plus, and it's free.

The super shoes are certainly beneficial and unbelievably comfortable (brand agnostic) They make you want to run fast, if Barry ditched his Nimbus 10's for a pair of super shoes that sub 18 would be a given. 

The joke's on you, I have Nimbus 11s now.

Would like to get some advice.

I'm looking to do my first Marathon distance at some point during this year.

12 months ago I did my 2nd 21.1k, with a PB of 1h47 at the Bobbies race in Hatfield. Not much running since then with lockdown and all that. Did plenty of bike riding though. So fitness isn't completely nowhere, but legs felt dead after a 10k last week Sunday. I'm 35 years of age.

So, I'm looking for a marathon training plan and I enjoy the ease of the Garmin Connect ecosystem loading the workouts onto my Fenix 3 and I just do it.

So questions:

Do I start with a Novice, 3 runs a week plan or the Intermediate, 5 runs a week plan? (Any other highly recommended plan can also work, I'll just type it into the Garmin Ecosystem.)

If I start the plan right now, I will be doing the longest parts of the plan in the dead of winter, is that realistic? Should I postpone to allow the plan to peak in November?

What do I do in the meantime if I don't start off right away?

12 months ago I did my 2nd 21.1k, with a PB of 1h47 at the Bobbies race in Hatfield. Not much running since then with lockdown and all that. Did plenty of bike riding though. So fitness isn't completely nowhere, but legs felt dead after a 10k last week Sunday. I'm 35 years of age.

So, I'm looking for a marathon training plan and I enjoy the ease of the Garmin Connect ecosystem loading the workouts onto my Fenix 3 and I just do it.

So questions:

Do I start with a Novice, 3 runs a week plan or the Intermediate, 5 runs a week plan? (Any other highly recommended plan can also work, I'll just type it into the Garmin Ecosystem.)

If I start the plan right now, I will be doing the longest parts of the plan in the dead of winter, is that realistic? Should I postpone to allow the plan to peak in November?

Intermediate for sure

If I can do a marathon plan in the dead of winter here.. You can easily do it there! [emoji38]

Intermediate for sure

If I can do a marathon plan in the dead of winter here.. You can easily do it there! [emoji38]

Part of my mandatory gear list for some of the ultra's coming up is rain/cold weather gear.

I have found it quite beautiful to run early in the cold wet mornings. Its so peaceful and calm. I am normally always alone and can hear the sound of my footsteps and breathing and get lost in my thoughts.

Its really quite cathartic.

If it wasn't for being "forced" to buy that stuff and getting comfortable in it, I would have missed out on this type of running.

So questions:

The more you run the better, if you have the time to run 5 days a week. 

The novice 3 day plan will give you a basic level of fitness and enough to maintain fitness.  The intermediate 5 days a week run will also improve fitness as you progress through the plan.

Running in winter here is not bad.  Depends on when you run. If early morning then you will need gear to suit, if around 5pm you probably have enough gear already.

Gear for early morning runs when really cold.  Running tights, cotton gloves, beanie, buff. lightweight running jersey and if windy a cycling gilet or running rain jacket to keep the cold wind off the chest. You will also have to consider lights if your route is not lit by street lights, head lamp or torch in hand.  For safety if running in the dark some fluorescent strips i.e belt, ankle straps or vest, so that you light up and reflect for any traffic 

Personally, I prefer running early morning for similar reasons as Wayne described.  Cold air on the cheeks definitely invigorates.

Edited by shaper

One of the issues with being fit and having a good ticker from cycling is that you feel you 'should' be able to run better/further/more than you can.

My advice would be to start slowly and test the body over the 1st 6 weeks. Too many guys I know get ITB and other over use injuries when going from a decent, fit cyclist to running.

The weight bearing and the impact on the muscles cannot be underestimated.

Just be aware of that. Often the lungs, the head and the heart can do a lot more than the legs in the initial few months.

Great advice all-around. I will take it on-board and look forward to the long runs in the 3 weeks of Winter we have in Pta ;)

Be careful jumping into a 5 day a week running plan. I would recommend that you start running 3 days a week and supplement running on the other days with cycling or gym. After several weeks add another day of running.