ScottCM

Actually its pretty close to Rotorua. I was on the fence about 2 different events. One in Rotorua and one in Taupo.

The Taupo one is taking place in October and the Rotorua one in February. I will likely do both.

That part of the country is gorgeous. There is something truly magical about running/biking through the redwoods forest.

Yeah, absolutely.

It could do without the sulphur pong, but you get used to that!

I was lucky enough to bag a few entries into some amazing races on both islands while we were there for the year. 

The red wood forests and the southern alps hold some very special memories. Along with Woodhill bike park on the other side of Aukland.

Special part of the world, NZ

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joshua Cheptagai going for the 3000m world record on the 19th. No one has come even remotely close to the current record of 7:20 so it will be interesting to see

In Slaapstad for some business, so packed my shoes and some kit for a couple runs; doesn’t beat riding, but beats a week with nothing. Was good to see I wasn’t far off from my normal fun run pace, despite this being my 3rd or 4th run for the year.

Do the folk in this part of the world not greet each other? Asking for a friend ????????

On the other side of the Overberg mountains, they’re as friendly as anything.

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

Do the folk in this part of the world not greet each other? Asking for a friend ????????

On the other side of the Overberg mountains, they’re as friendly as anything.

Not along the Atlantic seaboard. People greet on top of Table Mountain and in the Helderberg basin, too.

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Yeeeow! Thanks guys. Looking forward to just starting now so the nerves can settle and I can get down to just me and the trail!

Good Luck

On 5/14/2021 at 3:16 PM, Stretch said:

Joshua Cheptagai going for the 3000m world record on the 19th. No one has come even remotely close to the current record of 7:20 so it will be interesting to see

Just a reminder if anyone wants to watch. Looks like SA is not blocked on the World Athletics Youtube channel - so you can watch it on there at (i think 6pm SA time)

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2021/05/how-to-watch-joshua-cheptegeis-3000-meter-world-record-attempt-2021-golden-spike-ostrava-tv-streaming-information-2/

20 minutes ago, Stretch said:

Just a reminder if anyone wants to watch. Looks like SA is not blocked on the World Athletics Youtube channel - so you can watch it on there at (i think 6pm SA time)

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2021/05/how-to-watch-joshua-cheptegeis-3000-meter-world-record-attempt-2021-golden-spike-ostrava-tv-streaming-information-2/

fyi - For those of us DSTV hangers-on, its live on SS 207 from 17:45

Speaking of running. I saw the Milan marathon was on the other day.

Titus (what a name) Ekiru (Kenya) beat his 2019 record by 2 mins, ran 2:02:57 !! 5th fastest of all time.

Hiwot Gebrekidan (Eth) won the ladies in 2:19:35 also the fastest ever in Italy, and fastest time of the year.

With a jump across the line nogal...

32 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

fyi - For those of us DSTV hangers-on, its live on SS 207 from 17:45

and for those who might not be aware...the current 3000m record is considered to be almost unbreakable it was such a good run. Komen was an interesting chap. He ran for a short period with the pure intention of making money for his family - so he competed in everything for a couple of years. He think he had a motor accident that ended his career

edit: he is also the only person to ever run 2 miles in under 8 minutes

Edited by Stretch

19 minutes ago, Stretch said:

edit: he is also the only person to ever run 2 miles in under 8 minutes *this is mental

Its that same(or the original) beautiful Rudisha-esque, easy, flowing, loping stride. Wow

Edited by Chris_

34 minutes ago, Chris_ said:

Its that same(or the original) beautiful Rudisha-esque, easy, flowing, loping stride. Wow

yeah - it looked like he wasnt even going fast at some points while still throwing down 58sec laps

On 5/18/2021 at 12:49 PM, Chris_ said:

@Jewbacca Godspeed on your adventure good sir. 

Dots shall be watched.

As Jewbacca said to me this morning, Dot watching is both boring and addictive as hell. He's currently 2nd, 100m behind the leader and they have opened up a gap of almost 2km on the third place runner. BUUUUUT its still a long way to go.