ScottCM

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember head lamps can blind motorists. High viz vests are used here. In fact you just go into the police station and ask for one, or send away for one and they will send it to you

Luckily for us in Joburg we actually need our headlamps to see potholes so they're always angled down.

Remember head lamps can blind motorists. High viz vests are used here. In fact you just go into the police station and ask for one, or send away for one and they will send it to you

Maybe that will remind the motorist to switch to dims.

The headlamp is more for me to see where I put my feet down, so it will be angled down. For trail running a bright light is a no-brainer, but our road surfaces aren't that great either.

Maybe that will remind the motorist to switch to dims.

The headlamp is more for me to see where I put my feet down, so it will be angled down. For trail running a bright light is a no-brainer, but our road surfaces aren't that great either.

Yeah..I point mine down too..I was more referring to of you put one on the back as you mentioned 2.

That vest will do the job fine. I have no hassles with running with a vest as they are light. Definitely the best way for motorists to see you

How do you stay visible when running in the dark?

I started a bit late last night and finished on the dark. Running down Spook bult in the dark wasn't bright of me, fortunately I saw neither cars nor ghouls.

I have two headlamps that I'll test to see which one I prefer for running, but I reckon some form of hi-viz as well won't go to waste?

Use one of these https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/capestorm-reflector-harness or an high viz belt and ankle straps, along with a headlamp or torch if a regular runner in the dark

So, some feedback if anyone cares.

ASICS Gel Trabuco 9 are amazing. I've done about 100km in them now and they have been faultless. Stable, great support, very comfortable, and what makes them different to the Altra's is that they make me want to run. When I get to flat spots or smooth trails (pretty rare on the Peninsula) they sort of say 'OK, enough prancing, time to bash out a 5/6 min km up here' where the Altras used to sort of say 'Up to you, if you want to walk, walk, we are chilled'...

The sole is also AMAZING. They should patent it and sell it to other shoe companies. 

Ugly as sin, but they seem to be doing the business. My feet and my legs like them. 

Pretty keen to try the Saucony Peregrine 11's when these get tired. They were right up there when I treadmill tested. Similar but they only had them in Stoned Elf Green which annoyed me even more than the school shoe black and neon 80s. 

Anyway, I'm sure no one cares, so as you were!

Also, if you have a spare 10zar, please feel free to click the link in my signature and donate it to the Tusker/Eden to Addo project..... Shameless Plug!

ASICS Gel Trabuco 9 are amazing. I've done about 100km in them now and they have been faultless. Stable, great support, very comfortable, and what makes them different to the Altra's is that they make me want to run. When I get to flat spots or smooth trails (pretty rare on the Peninsula) they sort of say 'OK, enough prancing, time to bash out a 5/6 min km up here' where the Altras used to sort of say 'Up to you, if you want to walk, walk, we are chilled'...

The sole is also AMAZING. They should patent it and sell it to other shoe companies. 

Ugly as sin, but they seem to be doing the business. My feet and my legs like them. 

Pretty keen to try the Saucony Peregrine 11's when these get tired. They were right up there when I treadmill tested. Similar but they only had them in Stoned Elf Green which annoyed me even more than the school shoe black and neon 80s. 

Also, if you have a spare 10zar, please feel free to click the link in my signature and donate it to the Tusker/Eden to Addo project..... Shameless Plug!

Please review the light at some time too

My wife has the Trabuco 8's and she also loves them, apart from - getting rubbed badly on her achilles by the typically-Asics massive padding back there. I wonder if thats now been fixed in the 9 if you didn't notice it, or if its just her.

My wife has the Trabuco 8's and she also loves them, apart from - getting rubbed badly on her achilles by the typically-Asics massive padding back there. I wonder if thats now been fixed in the 9 if you didn't notice it, or if its just her.

I would guess they sorted that out. I have a weird chicken bone foot so am susceptible to the same rubbing. I haven't noticed it at all. The padding on the 9 doesn't seem excessive anywhere tbh. 

What sort of socks does she wear? I don't wear anything below the ankle anymore. It has stopped chaffe from sand etc sitting on the cuff which would then rub against the heel cup.

I know some ladies like to exercise in secret socks or low ankle ones. Just a shot in the dark.

I would guess they sorted that out. I have a weird chicken bone foot so am susceptible to the same rubbing. I haven't noticed it at all. The padding on the 9 doesn't seem excessive anywhere tbh. 

What sort of socks does she wear? I don't wear anything below the ankle anymore. It has stopped chaffe from sand etc sitting on the cuff which would then rub against the heel cup.

I know some ladies like to exercise in secret socks or low ankle ones. Just a shot in the dark.

hmm I think they are usually above the ankle too. I'll ask later on anyway though

https://ewn.co.za/2021/04/15/semenya-wins-5-000m-race-but-falls-short-of-tokyo-qualifying-time

Good move tactically by Semenya, moving to the longer distances. It would be brilliant if she can start winning there on the global stage, if only to show a proverbial middle finger to the world athletics body. 

PS. I'm more on the side of inter-gender athletes not being allowed to participate with females. BUT, this is about the regulators clearly targeting Semenya specifically.

https://ewn.co.za/2021/04/15/semenya-wins-5-000m-race-but-falls-short-of-tokyo-qualifying-time

Good move tactically by Semenya, moving to the longer distances. It would be brilliant if she can start winning there on the global stage, if only to show a proverbial middle finger to the world athletics body. 

PS. I'm more on the side of inter-gender athletes not being allowed to participate with females. BUT, this is about the regulators clearly targeting Semenya specifically.

The 5000m is a different beast! I hope she can transition well and just smash all the records.

The way she has been treated by world sport is atrocious. The powers that be at ASA were so spineless. I'm not talking about the rulings now, just the lack of respect she was shown as a human with feelings and a life that has already been way tougher than most people could ever understand.

World Athletics should have been taken to task but instead it all came back to the countries with the big pockets being able to bully everyone else.

Humans eh?...

The 5000m is a different beast! I hope she can transition well and just smash all the records.

The way she has been treated by world sport is atrocious. The powers that be at ASA were so spineless. I'm not talking about the rulings now, just the lack of respect she was shown as a human with feelings and a life that has already been way tougher than most people could ever understand.

World Athletics should have been taken to task but instead it all came back to the countries with the big pockets being able to bully everyone else.

Humans eh?...

She is "only" 45 seconds away from a Tokyo qualify time on the 5k, which she ran in Pretoria.

A couple of months more training and then do the race at Durban, she has a real chance of qualifying.

But I do think winning at Tokyo is unlikely this year. However, we are in the middle of a pandemic. So one or two race-favourites get quarantined with Covid and boom, she is in with a shot if she is there.