ScottCM

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Stark contrast to the Cape Town Marathon. Been following some of it on Running Man. 

Two Oceans maybe?
Been following his investigations and the "cover-up" seems mind boggling. Why not just come clean and say "we messed up", most people accept an honest apology.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Two Oceans maybe?
Been following his investigations and the "cover-up" seems mind boggling. Why not just come clean and say "we messed up", most people accept an honest apology.

Would that be the cut off thing?

Similar thing happened at Comrades last year didn't it?

I reckon stuff like this has happened all the time but with the advent of social media, the mess up is far further reaching than before when it was just a newspaper article on the second to back page or some facebook rantings.

Accountability in the event industry isn't something that's been historically evident, but in todays environment there are far more repercussions for not ticking all the required boxes

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I reckon stuff like this has happened all the time but with the advent of social media, the mess up is far further reaching than before when it was just a newspaper article on the second to back page or some facebook rantings.

Accountability in the event industry isn't something that's been historically evident, but in todays environment there are far more repercussions for not ticking all the required boxes

Two oceans cut-off?

https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/ttom2024-cut-off-statement-from-the-tom-npc/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1s9hINhOmmcPuBZeHQah7Jhq8fUmwbEy2QJ_UWu5ADztHhsFcDfwyT8I4_aem_AbHpoLPNYp2Pcw4Qkv1mSbgGZJUptDN2xg_b8OZC87wuoehiNX_PqW9cCy_GcuDXPRSZwaUkiu6mPh0hTj0ir-NH

Here's the statement. It was ok, TTOM messed up by not updating their website fully. In the end, it was a potential 4min discrepancy on the 42km cut-off. My feeling is that people knew the cut-off time, and when they couldn't make it started looking for excuses. 

2 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Have you tried Hoka speedgoat? I run with Asics 4E road shoes but standard Hoka for the other stuffs

Any particular store where I can look for Hoka ?

24 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

We have seen some interesting things in the events side of things. I once asked an organizer what they pay for their event insurance because we were feeling the hit of a heavy insurance bill for a small event we were hosting and they stated that they didn't have any at all for their events.

50 minutes ago, dave303e said:

We have seen some interesting things in the events side of things. I once asked an organizer what they pay for their event insurance because we were feeling the hit of a heavy insurance bill for a small event we were hosting and they stated that they didn't have any at all for their events.

There’s an organization in the Western Cape that has a habit of hosting events with some vital aspects awol. Like starting an event without having ambulance and medics on site yet. 

19 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Credit to Francois Jordaan and team for the honest and detailed write-up of what transpired.
(Other race organisers should take note of how to respond when the paw-paw hits the fan)

I'll do the Wally again.

Agreed 100%

See them next year

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Two oceans cut-off?

https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/ttom2024-cut-off-statement-from-the-tom-npc/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1s9hINhOmmcPuBZeHQah7Jhq8fUmwbEy2QJ_UWu5ADztHhsFcDfwyT8I4_aem_AbHpoLPNYp2Pcw4Qkv1mSbgGZJUptDN2xg_b8OZC87wuoehiNX_PqW9cCy_GcuDXPRSZwaUkiu6mPh0hTj0ir-NH

Here's the statement. It was ok, TTOM messed up by not updating their website fully. In the end, it was a potential 4min discrepancy on the 42km cut-off. My feeling is that people knew the cut-off time, and when they couldn't make it started looking for excuses. 

Don’t think you can lable it as excuses when organisers themselves are dishonest on how it was handled. Including those on the ground. 
Plenty info out there about how they mismanaged cutoff points and we’re generally aggressive.

Some people got on the bus and then were told “we made a mistake, carry on if you want” …. Only to be caught up at the next point. 

2 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Two Oceans maybe?

Yes sorry my mistake 🙈 … going through all the calendar events.

Pretty amazed at the deep dives he does with the data, but especially with Comrades. To the extent that it seems they put proper people in place. 

Also all the nonsense about wearing patches on kit. Thought CSA could bureaucratic, ASA appears to be on another level! 😂

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Totalsports Chris? They’re having some good specials on at the moment.

3 minutes ago, reteid said:

For me it is more the after the fact cover up that upsets me wrt the 2 oceans thing. 

Agree 10 000x!

5 hours ago, PhilipV said:

There’s an organization in the Western Cape that has a habit of hosting events with some vital aspects awol. Like starting an event without having ambulance and medics on site yet. 

I hope you're not talking about one in Riebeeck Kasteel, because if you are then you have your facts wrong. 

22 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Sportsmans Warehouse too if Total sports doesn't have.

@dave303e I recall your extreme dislike for road running. With that in mind, what terrain has your training been for Comrades?