ScottCM

Down here in Slaapstad we have the Tygerberg 30... which I'll be doing since something is clashing with the Argus MTB I would have been doing. Might be for the better, since it'll be my longest run of the year and my first (only?) race in 2018 before Oceans. 

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nervous definitely, specially after I saw on the website that you will not be allowed to start the second half after 8:30.

"Marathon runners will not be permitted to start second lap of 42.2 km distance after 08h30."

Start is 6:00 to 6:10 and I wanted to start after the initial rush. Which then means if I am aiming for a 5 hour run I will most likely be at half way around 8:30. I don't want to cut it to close so I guess I will have to start as close to 6 as I can.

Checking out last years route map, I see the first lap is about 20km and not halfway, i.e. 21.1km. So you have a good 6-7min you "save" there.

Interesting perspective, so if we use the "Normal" figure of km's required is stated round the 1000km mark, what will the "Normal" hours on the legs be? 100 - 120 Hours from Jan to Race Day?

My understanding and looking at numerous training plans. At this point in time, you 'should' (Subjective) be running +- 7hrs running time per week (ie. 1hr tues/1:30hr wed/1:30hr fri/3hr Sat or Sun). Towards the end of the month the 3hr weekend run will be pushed up to 3:30hr/4hr preparing for Ultra's in April.

Edited by Gringo111

So this Weekend has

Sunrise Monster 32km

Hot Legs 32km

Vaal 42/21 Km

Whos doing any of them?

Carpet, you ready for your first marathon on Sunday?

Sunrise monster.... that brings back memories

Great event

Sunrise monster.... that brings back memories

Great event

Ten years ago while training for my second Comrades I decided while I’m in peak form I’ll go run this race an easy training run.

As I struggled to the end I was seriously reconsidering my BR goals for Comrades as I couldn’t even keep a sub 6min/km pace on 32km race.

It seems that I will be running a lot less in the foreseeable future due to this Achilles. 100 days until Comrades, is it time to panic now? I have a very good base from December up until 10 days ago. But the problem is that the big running months are starting now..

100 days to Comrades - I guess that is a real wake up call! My training is nowhere near where I thought it would be. Too many personal things going on at the moment and I have reached a point this week where I just don't feel like running. I have to adjust my attitude asap.

I am running the 32km Hot Legs race on Sunday, going to be a tough one if I look at the profile.

I am actually looking forward running a new race that I haven't done before.

Sunrise Monster 32k training run. Aim is to run it nice and slow.

Just hoping to survive

I have a 161km running problem starting tomorrow at 2pm.

Addo! Awesome! Goodluck!

Seems like the weather will be less brutal than last year

I have a 161km running problem starting tomorrow at 2pm.

Eish bud, best of luck out there. Give a race report on Monday

Addo! Awesome! Goodluck!

Seems like the weather will be less brutal than last year

The heat kicked my ass last year. Nausea + heat isn't a good combo. At 102km I was DONE. Medic came and pulled me off the route as I didn't want to quit. Finished it fine in 2016. People think you are adding tails to the story when you say it was 50 degrees. It really was. Some of the checkpoints had to delay packing up as the tent poles were too hot. It was insane.

100 days to Comrades - I guess that is a real wake up call! My training is nowhere near where I thought it would be. Too many personal things going on at the moment and I have reached a point this week where I just don't feel like running. I have to adjust my attitude asap.

I am running the 32km Hot Legs race on Sunday, going to be a tough one if I look at the profile.

I am actually looking forward running a new race that I haven't done before.

I feel the same at the moment and if I don't run, I am just bored. With 30 days to OMTOM, what more can I really do but wait until race day.