ScottCM

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have your properly worked out what your zones should be though?

Yes, all based on my LT.

I’m not a newbie when it comes to (cycle-specific) training, so know how to do a number of tests. LT is proven to be more reliable than maxHR.

so who's all running where and what this weekend?

We sneaking down to cathedral peak challenge, should be an enjoyable run...

Final prep half marathon before Vaal River City Marathon but at a nice and easy pace.

Edited by tjommies3

Quick question to all the experienced runners, does speed/pace become habit? I do around 6km runs but seem to stick at around 6 min per km, do I keep to the distance and increase my pace or do I increase my distance and then worry about pace later, I am just worried that my current pace gets ingrained and will be difficult to increase later.

Not the most experienced runner but pace increases with time, especially after you have been doing intervals.

Quick question to all the experienced runners, does speed/pace become habit? I do around 6km runs but seem to stick at around 6 min per km, do I keep to the distance and increase my pace or do I increase my distance and then worry about pace later, I am just worried that my current pace gets ingrained and will be difficult to increase later.

Keep the distance (even reduce depending) and do speedwork!    (Intervals, Fartlek etc.)  An idea could be to burn your local Parkrun EVERY Saturday..  (If you don't (almost) throw up at the end you didn't give it your best shot!  :) )

Depending on your goal your can still do your leisurely 8 / 10k's at times but you need to incorporate speedwork.  (This will decrease your 'default' pace as well over time, everything is relative :) )

Edited by Pieter-za

I tried to get a last minute entry to this as well, they never responded to my query so I'll be battling the masses at Wanderers 21, tomorrow some quality time with my bike in the cradle.

Final prep half marathon before Vaal River City Marathon but at a nice and easy pace.

Don't use the scenery as any form of prep as you may be vastly disappointed coming back to the Vaal 

Probably preaching to the converted here, but in case it needed mentioning again, after I came back from Duathlon champs in July I had a few glute and hamsting niggles that I hoped would go away with a bit of rest.  They didn't and actually got worse, so in the end I went to see a Bio who had helped me in the past sort out my Sciatica.

She's put me on an intense Core and Hamstring program to get me ready for Afriman.  I cannot stress enough what difference 2 weeks has made to my Form Power and my Leg spring (I run with Stryd so it's easy to measure) - up to Denmark I was running with around a 23% ratio of Form power over Running Power with leg spring of about 9kN/m. That ratio is now down to 20% (I'm using less power to hold my form) and my leg spring is just over 10kN/m.

Hate to say it, but I wish I had listened and did more Core and Stretching......

ya a strong core goes a long way..

Anyone had experience with the Brooks Hyperion?

I am looking for a race shoe for up to marathon distance, I had the TR7's and loved them, the Hoka's are still gonna be y training shoe but was thinking of trying the hyperion for a bit of speed. Are they as good as the TR7's or is there something better out there? 

Don't use the scenery as any form of prep as you may be vastly disappointed coming back to the Vaal 

I'm only going for business :-)

Qualify for Comrades with at least a sub 3:40 (aiming for sub 3:30)

Missing this will be the only disappointment.

Question for those who run commute to work.

What bag do you use?

Also thinking of running to work, I have been looking at the Ultimate Direction Fastpack range

Depends what your goals are, if you want to run a marafun or something then yes you need to gradually increase distance.

If you are just running for general fitness then 6 km is fine.

Some variety is good, your body gets used to doing the same thing over and over again and the benefit and rate of improvement decreases if you don't change things a bit.

Doing some short intervals repetitions at a higher / slightly uncomfortable pace along with some hill running will help increase your average pace.

Question for those who run commute to work.

What bag do you use?

I have 2 el'cheapo bags that I use:

(1) An Adidas Terrex Speed 8L. I can just about fit a pair of jeans and a shirt in there. Comfortable but not enough space if you must stash your winter running gear in there as well...

(2) A deuter speed lite 12L. I can pack my lunch in there as well. Have used it for up to 23km runs to work. Not the most comfortable, but gets the job done.

Looking for new made-for-running pack as well. Something like the Camelbak Ultra 10 will do. Which was on special on onedayonly for R1700 about a week ago...... And this maybe http://www.trailshed.co.za/product/raidlight-ultra-vest-olmo-12l/