ScottCM

Our group did a cradle run. Every single cyclists was friendly and greeted which leave me to believe it's all the assholes doing Argus. :-)

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Ha ha

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. Have any of you ran while having plantar fasciitis? Yay, nay?

Yeah, had it for a while, cleared up about a month ago. Annoying as anything; what worked for me: massage it well every night by rolling first on a soft ball like a tennis ball and then on a solid ball like a hockey or cricket ball. Hurts like hell. Also, stretch your achilles and calf muscles well. Lastly, reduce mileage for a little while (I took a week off by running only short distances on grass) Anti inflammatories helped, but only for a day or so, as soon as I did a longer run it was back to square one

Did the Edenvale 21.1km yesterday at training pace for ODD this weekend after speed work on Friday and a LSD Saturday.  Busy race, parking bit of an issue, some nice hills... and a good weekend training block :)

Lots doing the marathon as their qualifier.

Did the Buco Bobbies 21km in Pretoria (Starts in Hatfield now) this weekend. Not many people which was great, didn’t have to fight through crowds of people. Nice race, course covered the infamous Tom Jenkins twice (although luckily ascending from Union buildings side) still felt the effects from Vaal marathon a week ago, heart rate was elevated even though I was going fairly slowly.

I would suggest that you don’t. PF can very easily become chronic.

Hoe long have you had it? What started it?

I’ve had PF on and off now for about 5 years, but mine started from stepping on an object barefoot

I have been managing it for around 2 years now, managed to get two comrades in with it. Each to his own, tried multiple treatments and nothing has really worked for me.

No Monday race reports from the weekend?

The Missus and I went to EL for the Buffs Marathon. Windy and rainy, but oxygen at sea level is great when coming from the highveld.

Had a great run, but the admin was particularly poor. Shuttles were a stuff up, delayed the start by 30 minutes and few minutes before the scheduled start. Had a cars driving through the start line still with a minute to go to the gun. They have a #runclean policy, but no bins at the start - two porta loo's, and the WP's had very few bins afterwards to throw the sachets away. Must have been a nightmare to clean up.

Would I do it again? Yes, only because if you have something in the tank for the last 6km it is a very fast route even with the extra 200m.

We ran 2:55 for the A seeding.

No Monday race reports from the weekend?

Ran the Harmonie Mutuelle semi de Paris this weekend. 

Felt pretty good and ran a PB of 1:45 (official time is 1:46:03, as my Garmin clocked in at 21.29km). Was overall a very lekker run. 

Only two gripes: the crowds and the wind. I think something like >35k people ran, so you were dodging bodies from the beginning to the end. The wind was also absolutely pumping. It was insane. At times it felt like you were running through a marshmallow and at other times like someone was pushing you along from the back. 

Heres a silly question -

In terms of training effect - what would be the difference between running 5 by 5kms a week, compared to running 1 by 25km a week?

Heres a silly question -

In terms of training effect - what would be the difference between running 5 by 5kms a week, compared to running 1 by 25km a week?

Option A you'll be fitter, likely leaner and generally a bit healthier I would guess.

Option B, the only positive would be your body being better adapted for longer runs.

Option A you'll be fitter, likely leaner and generally a bit healthier I would guess.

Option B, the only positive would be your body being better adapted for longer runs.

Fair. What I should have added, and what brought this thought up - was what if you were training for say a marathon. You're getting the same mileage a week, but how would you manage given the two strategies.

Fair. What I should have added, and what brought this thought up - was what if you were training for say a marathon. You're getting the same mileage a week, but how would you manage given the two strategies.

If the aim is a marathon, I’d rather get my long run in...

If the aim is a marathon, I’d rather get my long run in...

Yip, you can't step up from 5km to 42km... it's hard enough jumping from 21km to a marathon. Unless you've done quite a few half's in the build up.

If the aim is a marathon... You should be doing both and then some more [emoji6]

Did the Buco Bobbies 21km in Pretoria (Starts in Hatfield now) this weekend. Not many people which was great, didn’t have to fight through crowds of people. Nice race, course covered the infamous Tom Jenkins twice (although luckily ascending from Union buildings side) still felt the effects from Vaal marathon a week ago, heart rate was elevated even though I was going fairly slowly.

Did that bastard thing on Saturday too.  My power intervals ended up being up and down Tom Jenkins and then again down Tom Jenkins and into Eastwood.  My calves still haven't recovered!