ScottCM

Yeah, I get the feeling that when one has had a lot of consistency over a few years, as you have, you probably don't need to smash the mileage as hard anymore? I mean, you're running better with what seems like less effort now, wouldn't you say? 

Probably about the same as last year with about 200km less YTD and a much worse December. This is now my 3rd year of running and it does feel easier.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I get the feeling that when one has had a lot of consistency over a few years, as you have, you probably don't need to smash the mileage as hard anymore? I mean, you're running better with what seems like less effort now, wouldn't you say? 

I can confirm the other side of the spectrum definitely holds true...

If you do very little training, and then even less, and then somehow still even less...

it does not end particularly well

956km YTD lost two weeks due to a bit of a cold. But absolutely injury free so that's a massive bonus for a big boned runner.

My only concern is that I wount be able to run over Easter weekend due to family commitments.

So I'll probably be at 1600km comes start of Comrades

Vicky & Janine ran together. Vicky was getting her A seeding and Janine was in for a good training run. Those just happened to be the same thing. Very social of them. There is going to be a strong bunch of jozi girls going for Silvers.

Small world . I know Vicky from the JP group. She has made an amazing come back after her injury

Melissa Jansen van Vuuren is also on top form. Its unbelievable how well she and her twin sister has progressed.

I actually met her ( or her sister ) during a race last year where I was able to run with her now.......,,,[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Hi guys,

Been following for while. Does anyone perhaps have a gpx file for the comrades up run or perhaps a link to strava or similar. Preferably for a sub 11 finish. Would like to study splits etc. Thanks

Hi guys,

Been following for while. Does anyone perhaps have a gpx file for the comrades up run or perhaps a link to strava or similar. Preferably for a sub 11 finish. Would like to study splits etc. Thanks

Was busy finding it for you then realized that’s the one I done with my TomTom Runner 3. Died on top of Polly’s so that wouldn’t help you. Sure somebody will be along shortly with the complete file.

Hi guys,

Not at my computer but the best way to do it would be to look for a Strava segment on the route, scroll through the leader board and pick someone who did it in 2017 at roughly the speed you want, then click through to their full run. You can then use the Flyby feature to find a runner who did it in your goal time and had the most consistent run.

It is definitely easier the more year on year running/training you do.

If I look at some of your mileage I shudder knowing I am doing far less, but I have done a little bit for nearly 9 years straight now. When I haven't been able to run it is paddling, yoga and climbing and vice versa and it does help. None of this getting fit again after being on a couch for a month or three, you just scale up your fitness for certain sports leading up to an event.

this is quite a cool idea, but one of the runners needs to have finished an ultra

https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/the-two-oceans-marathon-initiative-tomi-launches-inaugural-2-x-28km-relay/

i've always wondered why the half is such a big success, hardly the best route (the no oceans hlaf marathon).

here you can run a bit further and the second runner has a proper kiff tough 28km!

this is quite a cool idea, but one of the runners needs to have finished an ultra

https://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za/the-two-oceans-marathon-initiative-tomi-launches-inaugural-2-x-28km-relay/

i've always wondered why the half is such a big success, hardly the best route (the no oceans hlaf marathon).

here you can run a bit further and the second runner has a proper kiff tough 28km!

I was actually tempted to do this... but not sure what will be left of my legs after the Trail run on the Friday

Second leg probably wouldn't be all that bad at such a short distance?

It's tough but doable when you've done the first leg... big difference hitting Chappies at 40kms and at 12kms

Interesting to see how they manage the logistics

Yoh but imagine how you could butcher the first half! Okes would be doing silly speeds

Yoh but imagine how you could butcher the first half! Okes would be doing silly speeds

Yip, my fastest marathon distance is still the first 42.2km's of Two Oceans... 4:02, and that includes the first few km's up Chappies. 

Thanks Pieter. Received. Now to hope I can follow that.

I would seriously advise against that because everyone runs the race on the day VERY differently. Rather take someone like Norrie's splits and make sure you are there and thereabouts at those points at the time.