Scammer List

Guy@BMT Stellenbosch

1 hour ago, Skylark said:

A guy just tried me, all the usual red flags:

Replying to my wanted ad but via whatsapp

Whatsapp shows as a business account

Starts making massive reductions when I asked if the price is neg

Says will send a wheelset for R99 via postnet and does it all the time(well I know an idiot that made the same claim but that's a different story)

Then when I ask for close up pics of one part he suddenly says his phone can't take nice pics.

He claimed his name is Ryno but Trucaller shows his name as Pj Osmerg.
Number 0719347847 / 071 934 7847 and I don't know his Bikehub handle because he claimed a friend sent him my number but he knew my wanted ad was on Bikehub.

I'd encourage you to remove your phone number from the ad description which means a would-be scammer has one extra hurdle to pass in getting in contact with you - account registration.

It's by no means a foolproof but has proven to be successful in detecting scammers and alerting potential victims.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Skylark said:

A guy just tried me, all the usual red flags:

Replying to my wanted ad but via whatsapp

Whatsapp shows as a business account

Starts making massive reductions when I asked if the price is neg

Says will send a wheelset for R99 via postnet and does it all the time(well I know an idiot that made the same claim but that's a different story)

Then when I ask for close up pics of one part he suddenly says his phone can't take nice pics.

He claimed his name is Ryno but Trucaller shows his name as Pj Osmerg.
Number 0719347847 / 071 934 7847 and I don't know his Bikehub handle because he claimed a friend sent him my number but he knew my wanted ad was on Bikehub.

Wow what a coincidence, he also messaged me. I was trying to respond and my phone started spazzing and it blocked him haha

I am not superstitious or anything but maybe there really is a higher power looking over me lol

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I'd encourage you to remove your phone number from the ad description which means a would-be scammer has one extra hurdle to pass in getting in contact with you - account registration.

It's by no means a foolproof but has proven to be successful in detecting scammers and alerting potential victims.

Hey Matt, that is some really sound advice, but he does have an account/a friend with an account, as he viewed my number to whatsapp me

On 5/18/2022 at 11:09 AM, Rudii said:

Anybody familiar with a user called Wellings (apparently from Malawi)? He's trying to by a derailleur from me but there's a lot of back and forth from his side on trying to get his "handler/transporter" to collect the item from me and "ways" to make payment to me. Gave him the option of cash or eft after which he came back suggesting payment via Mukuru (?) Something doesn't feel right.

I don’t know if this buyer is legit or not, and it’s wise for you to be cautious. But, as a Zimbabwean who sometimes buys through Bike Hub I have the same challenges with trying to arrange for a runner to collect the item and find ways to make payment. It’s not easy to get money out of the country. I haven’t personally used Mukuru, but it is a reputable service and the founder is a connection through family and the biking community.

I was grateful recently when a seller on here accommodated my situation and allowed my transporter to collect the item. Of course, I didn’t expect him to release it until the funds had cleared in his account, but throughout the whole process I was aware how so much of what I was asking of him might have sounded like a scam setup. I think his mind may have been put at ease somewhat when he phoned me up to chat briefly about the item before committing to the deal.

I never list my phone number anywhere. If they want to chat they can go through the Bikehub chat system. I’ll only exchange numbers once I have figured out the buyer is somewhat legit. That way I can see their profile age and their history on the site. Same goes for gumtree - although I haven’t sold anything on there in years. 

In Singapore everyone uses a service called Carousell and it’s brilliant. I wish they could come to SA. Bikehub is perfect for bike stuff but when you want to sell any electronics on FB Marketplace or Gumtree it’s a nightmare. 

12 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Hey Matt, that is some really sound advice, but he does have an account/a friend with an account, as he viewed my number to whatsapp me

That's a good point, I didn't have my phone number anywhere in the ad text, you have to be logged in to click on the phone number to see it but as pointed out in the post above this it's probably best to not have your phone number in the ad at all so people can only contact you via Bikehub chat.

3 hours ago, Skylark said:

That's a good point, I didn't have my phone number anywhere in the ad text, you have to be logged in to click on the phone number to see it but as pointed out in the post above this it's probably best to not have your phone number in the ad at all so people can only contact you via Bikehub chat.

It also cuts down on the spurious, middle-of-something “still available???” WhatsApp’s which drive me up the wall!

• 5 weeks later...

Latest scam attempt targeting wanted ad posters:

User name: Jf ride
Phone: 083 216 9334
Using the name "Ryno van Walt"

He's been banned here but keep an eye out on other channels.

Just as an aside, I prefer Whatsapp communications so when I respond to an ad I may be interested in I give that option. The person will have full access to my Bikehub profile though.
I also normally list my number with Whatsapp next to it. Not sure why, just prefer it.

7 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Just as an aside, I prefer Whatsapp communications so when I respond to an ad I may be interested in I give that option. The person will have full access to my Bikehub profile though.
I also normally list my number with Whatsapp next to it. Not sure why, just prefer it.

It is tough to beat the convenience and functionality of Whatsapp, we know this and do have a planned WhatsApp button in the works which will automatically open a WhatsApp chat on your phone or WhatsApp web if on computer.

The reasons we advise against putting a phone number (or email address) in the description are two-fold:

1. Plain text phone numbers and emails are at risk of being harvested by spammers
  2. Scammers have one less hurdle to cross in order to contact you regarding an item, if your details are in plain text they don't need to sign up on Bike Hub in order to make contact.

Watch out for this number +27 83 216 9334 ... this guy scans Bike Hub for Wanted ads, and contacts you via WhatsApp. With me he used the identity of someone called Pierre Vlok, and even has a copy of his ID and sent me pictures of Pierre Vlok that he got off Facebook. When I called him out he immediately deleted the images from our chat. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 10.09.32.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 10.10.03.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 10.10.29.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 10.18.32.png

Edited by Stan Engelbrecht

Kudos for snuffing him out !!!

I was gullible once in a similar situation, lost some bucks.  Never again, cant be too careful.

A good idea is to to take screenshots of the advert you are responding to as well as any conversations that you have via whatsapp. Its handy to have the record if the advert is deleted or whatsapp messages are deleted...

Had 2 scammers from Nigeria, Olivia Edwards,+234 8086790448 and Pamela Hubert, +234 8037789127. 

Classic MO, satisfied with the product, get courier to collect etc. this was from Gumtree and here.

2 hours ago, Stan Engelbrecht said:

Watch out for this number +27 83 216 9334 ... this guy scans Bike Hub for Wanted ads, and contacts you via WhatsApp. With me he used the identity of someone called Pierre Vlok, and even has a copy of his ID and sent me pictures of Pierre Vlok that he got off Facebook. When I called him out he immediately deleted the images from our chat. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 10.09.32.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 10.10.03.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 10.10.29.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 10.18.32.png

YES HE IS A SCAMMER. I had the same guy contacting me for a seatpost I wanted.