[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

Last time they were pretty relaxed about the 10:00 start vibe, the last group is a mare, there are about 100 people adjusting saddles, filling up water bottles, applying sun screen. 

We were the least of their worries.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in two minds if I should enter. Best I have ever done was 3:27 and I am in 1G starting 6:33

How strict are they with the 9:50 dead line? I might make 10:00, not sure about 9:50...

Don't think there will be any bouncers keeping you off the route if that is what you are worried about. You might just not be able to go over the starting timing mat if they already rolled that up so you might not get an "official" time.

2 years ago it took me about 15m to 20m from the finish to the start for the second lap - you have to take that into account as welk.

btw when I got to the start line there was not a soul in sight to check my entry card, I just rode up through the empty start area to the 2nd last group and started with them

expensive stuff :whistling:

But for charity. :thumbup:

That is not for charity. 

If they give the money of the entries to charity then it is worthwhile. They just gonna line their own pockets.

That is not for charity. 

If they give the money of the entries to charity then it is worthwhile. They just gonna line their own pockets.

The whole trust is a charity, any extra money made goes to the Rotary club of claremont. All charity.

Who is "they" you talk about? This is not a fly by night jobbie, its the best run charity in the country.

Edited by Pure Savage

That is not for charity.

Wo bro I would check my facts if I where you. This is not ASG. This is most definitely a charity event. Always has been.

I am also detached from the Argus, much more keen for the Tour of Good Hope the week before. The Argus is three efforts, Smits, Top of Chappies and Suikerbossie, then sit in the bunch and chill. Not much attacking or much else..

Same here. Haven't really got excited yet. However I'm racing this weekend then the bike goes into the travel case. That might get me ticking.

Don't want to think about ToGH as work curtailed my training so just looking to have fun and see how I go.

Also just got the email but can't think of having the family stand around waiting for me to complete 2 laps.

The whole trust is a charity, any extra money made goes to the Rotary club of claremont. All charity.

I believe the proceeds are shared between Rotary Club of Clarmont and PPA.  I can't find anything more recent, but in 2011 and 2012 income from the Argus was roughly half PPA's operating income (with most of the other half being from membership fees):

Details at the bottom of this:

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/agm/agm-2012-reports/

Rotary Club of Claremont apparently gets 50%.  From the Rotary Club of Claremont's site: http://claremontrotary.co.za/home/pick-and-pay-cape-town-argus-cycle-tour/

In 1999 the ownership of the event and the intellectual property were placed in the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust of which RCC is a 50% beneficiary. Since the formation of the Trust many other cycling events such as Die Burger Fietstoer, the Coronation Double Century and others have been taken over by the Trust and it also does administration and timing for many other cycling and lately road running events. The Trust is now a small business with a staff of close to 30 and its own business premises. There are 12 Trustees of which 6 are Rotarians. Each year the Trust distributes its surplus and our 50% generates the bulk of the funding used by RCC in its many projects.

My brother in law from Canada opted out because he echoes the economic sentiment, officially. Unofficially he blames "Cirque de SONA" for his decision. Posted me his chip with the instruction to give it to an impoverished cyclist who cannot even afford a sub. Take the racepack, "plak" the number on your back and have a blast. (Just return the chip to me after the race please). Like he says, so what if it is illegal, you explain that to the person who will start around 8 with a once in a lifetime gift. Then he ranted on and on about SONA.......

You are joking, right?

Doing it on a road bike this year. Wondering if I will be much quicker (usually 5h30ish) I feel quicker on training rides but struggling a bit without the granny gear. 

That is not for charity. 

Complete hogwash. As far as I know, this is the single biggest fundraising event for charity in the country! Half the profit goes to the Claremont Rotary, the other half to the PPA. Rotary spend their mone almost entirely on charity projects. PPA spend their money all on cycling related projects. 

I believe the proceeds are shared between Rotary Club of Clarmont and PPA.  I can't find anything more recent, but in 2011 and 2012 income from the Argus was roughly half PPA's operating income (with most of the other half being from membership fees):

Details at the bottom of this:

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/agm/agm-2012-reports/

Rotary Club of Claremont apparently gets 50%.  From the Rotary Club of Claremont's site: http://claremontrotary.co.za/home/pick-and-pay-cape-town-argus-cycle-tour/

I count PPA as a charity, PPA and Rotary club are 50% owners of CTCTT. Money is getting back to cycling and or charity

You are joking, right?

"Unofficial"(SONA) is a Joke.  The entry is up for grabs. No joke.

Edited by Cadre

hi guys the route is change due to road works between kalkbay and fishoek 

new route is from m5 up on oukaapseweg then blackhill and then join old route 

hi guys the route is change due to road works between kalkbay and fishoek 

new route is from m5 up on oukaapseweg then blackhill and then join old route 

KWA KWA KWAAAAAAAAA

The second lap's money I see as a Donation.

a Donation to charity

For which I want nothing in return

They really can issue donation certificates for people paying the second lap to enable them to qualify for a tax deduction in term of Section 18A of the Income tax act. 

It is after all "contributions" towards a Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) and all cost for the event can be recovered from your first entry?