We topped up your sealant, it was running low.

nox1111

Hey guys,

Just want to check if its just me, or if you have the same experience with bike shops at the moment.

It seems the new - easy (almost no work) thing to do is to top up sealant when a bike is in for any other work, and then bill you for it, without asking.

Sure, most people have no idea, and had a bikeshop setup their tubeless to start off with, and so it is a good thing if their LBS made sure that their tyres have a decent amount of sealant in and that they aren't left walking back to their car.

I myself and my riding partner have both had similar experiences in the past couple of weeks with two different shops - where the bike went in for a service - and the tyres were topped up with sealant without asking, and just added to the bill.

Here's what gets me a bit bothered;

Scenario 1:

my bike went in after K2C for a service still with my old tyres on - this was a couple of weeks ago. 

I took my bike to the same bikeshop on Monday, for a squeak on the pivots and a rear shock service.  I've fitted new Onza's in the meantime and so all new sealant and perfectly sealed - 3 rides on the tyres, set up with sealant to spare. 

I pick up my bike yesterday, and on the job card; there it is: sealant topped up x 2

ahem...

Scenario 2:

My riding partner had a tubeless mishap and decided to go for slime tubes rather than try to sort it out, as his tyres have pretty high mileage on it, and he wants to squeeze out the extra mileage before new tyres for W2W.

Bike goes in for service - and the mech tells him his sealant was running low, so they topped it up.

So they put extra sealant in his slime tubes - entertaining bit is, the new sealant and the slime does not play well, and so it sets into a massive tumor in the bottom of the tube.  First ride out, his bike is riding weird and he says he can feel his wheels almost spinning faster and slower on each revolution. flipping the bike reveals the massive weight on the one side of the wheel that creates a pendulum effect.  Taking the tubes out you can feel the big lumps that formed in the tubes.

So both tubes need to be binned and new tyres on go earlier than planned.

Is this just the new easy way to make a buck topping up sealant unnecessarily, or am I missing the convenience of a bikeshop that looks out for its customers?

I'm sure if it really is needed - it is awesome when they do it - both these cases though, not so much.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should they then ask you if They can clean your chain, and lube it?is sealant not part of the reliability of your bike?

I've never bitched about a sealant top up because to me it's an expected part of maintaining the bike.

Is service so good now that we need to bitch about service?

sealant is water soluable and contains ammonia. Guess what, they evaporate. Top up is needed every 6 weeks with regular use in Summer and maybe 3months in Winter.

Don't think they shafting you, just trying to offer a convenience service

I get that. In this case though - the fact that I have brand new tyres on - should have been first clue that sealant level may be fine.  They can't know the sealant level if they don't unseat the tyre and check, so my guess is that they don't check before adding.

It is a convenience - agreed, especially if you (not you raptor22 - generally speaking) like to drop off your bike and pick up without questions asked, and you just pay the bill.  I'm with EmptyB on this - a call would be a great idea.

Should they then ask you if They can clean your chain, and lube it?is sealant not part of the reliability of your bike?

I've never bitched about a sealant top up because to me it's an expected part of maintaining the bike.

Chain clean and lube is part and parcel of a basic service.Sealant isn't.

Ya chain lube is part of the service...Is it itemized and charged for individually?

I doubt there is any LBS that would specifically charge you for 20 drops of chain lube in any case :)

I don't think anyone minds the charge for sealant, but ask the customer when they drop their bike off. Most of us have sealant at home (?) and will DIY so paying for something we have is slly

I would regard a sealant top up as part of a service. However, in OP's case it clearly was not required and hence and unnecessary expense.

Since i have learned to top up sealant myself I always tell the LBS to stick to my instructions. When ever I go to LBS, I tell them exactly what I want and not to touch anything else without phoning me.As I learn, the LBS will have less to do.

Looking out for a customer is great, but getting billed for something that was not needed ain't cool

this is a rather shallow comment, do they add to your bill when they clean and lube your chain????

If they charge you or something, they need to ask. I've been charged for a wash and lube before, even though my bike was spotless when I dropped it off and my chain is always lubed. I asked the shop in question to clean the chain and remove the charge, as I am full of kuk with what lube I use. The workshop manager was uhm-ing and ah-ing for a bit, and it turned out that they never lubed or washed my bike after all according to his 2ic. I asked them to clean the chain in any event, just in case.

Needless to say, I've since taken my bike elsewhere.