Pyga 650B vs Giant Trance Advanced

cpelser

Hi guys..

I weigh about 110kgs. Currently ride a Giant XTC carbon hardtail.

I want to go 650B as I'm never going to be fast.

Looking at the Trance Advanced 2014 with full XT and a carbon frame versus a Pyga 650B (probably the Onetwenty)

The Giant is R43k and the Pyga R47k

Which would you choose bearing in mind my weight.

I'll likely build my current Guide RS brakes onto the new bike.

Will also likely sell the new bikes wheel and my current Hope+Flow Ex wheels and buy a 650B set of Hope + Flow Ex.

I'm not nearly as skilled as full 140mm travel requires but I dislocated my knee on Die Burger and want to limit my falls by going from a 29er hardtail to a dual sus 650B.

I'm 183cm..

Hope to get some good arguments for/against..

Edited by cpelser

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shjoe,

spoiled for choice is a nice place to be.

I'd take the Giant cos it climbs better but the PYGA is a probably a bit more fun overall.

Both have had some frame failures

So in essence I'd go for the bike thats available in my favorite colours

The more important questions are:

1 - When you ride your mountain bike, which gives you your biggest smiles?

a) Riding all day along jeep tracks through the countryside.

b) Having a few hours where you seek out as much single track as you can find.

c) Uphill? It's for the birds. Get me a fat bike and put me on the beach!

2 - If you do find yourself on single track, which rider are you?

a) The chap taking your bike for a walk down the best parts.

b) Bomb down the hill overtaking off the line if you have to! 

c) Happy to just follow the pace and line of whoever is in front of you.

3 - You accidentally get onto a downhill course with gap jumps. Do you

a) Quickly dismount and run your bike to the nearest jeep track!

b) Attempt to ride everything but the gap jumps and walk those visualising someday taking them!

c) Start bombing the trail and spectacularly run out of skill and wish someone had seen it! Walk the rest of the way...

The weight will go if you get consistent with your riding. Buying a purpose built bike is exactly that. It's fit for purpose. No point in getting a longer travel all mountain trial rig, if you're only ever going to cruise the usual mountain bike circuits\races and riding all day in marathon style events is what blows your hair back! 

Edited by Tubehunter

Giant without any doubt 

pyga is cool brand but  sluggish and slow , 

Edited by pellieg

I've seen a few Advanced with linkage arms that broke. Haven't seen frames fail without being crashed.

Have seen some frame failures and linkage failures on PYGA

Edited by raptor-22

I've seen a few Advanced with linkage arms that broke. Haven't seen frames fail without being crashed.

Have seen some frame failures and linkage failures on PYGA

An incendiary statement like that is going to have the Pyga fanboys frothing at the mouth.

The more important questions are:

1 - When you ride your mountain bike, which gives you your biggest smiles?

a) Riding all day along jeep tracks through the countryside.

b) Having a few hours where you seek out as much single track as you can find. - This guy

c) Uphill? It's for the birds. Get me a fat bike and put me on the beach!

2 - If you do find yourself on single track, which rider are you?

a) The chap taking your bike for a walk down the best parts.

b) Bomb down the hill overtaking off the line if you have to! 

c) Happy to just follow the pace and line of whoever is in front of you.

Depending on whether I know the trail and who I'm riding with, any of B or C.

3 - You accidentally get onto a downhill course with gap jumps. Do you

a) Quickly dismount and run your bike to the nearest jeep track!

b) Attempt to ride everything but the gap jumps and walk those visualising someday taking them! - And then I think to myself: the day I'm able to bunnyhop in a straight line, I'm going to try one of these

c) Start bombing the trail and spectacularly run out of skill and wish someone had seen it! Walk the rest of the way...

The weight will go if you get consistent with your riding. Buying a purpose built bike is exactly that. It's fit for purpose. No point in getting a longer travel all mountain trial rig, if you're only ever going to cruise the usual mountain bike circuits\races and riding all day in marathon style events is what blows your hair back! 

Any frame can break so that is not something to base your buying on,ride both and decide from there. Trance is awesome and so is the Pyga,my only gripe with Pyga is their price otherwise they are flipping nice especially the 120 in my favorite color orange.

Any frame can break so that is not something to base your buying on,ride both and decide from there. Trance is awesome and so is the Pyga,my only gripe with Pyga is their price otherwise they are flipping nice especially the 120 in my favorite color orange.

I fully agree with you, its all down to riding style.

In 10years time when I hit midlife crises I'll buy me a Pyga :D

I'd take the Pyga because you can buy the frame and do a build. Will be cheaper than R47k that way too. 

I may be a little biased though... :)

I would highly recommend you give one or both of them a test run. I know that Pyga are really good with regards to that, helping guys out and letting them test the bikes. Not sure about the giant guys.

Giant without any doubt

pyga is cool brand but sluggish and slow ,

Wait what? Sluggish and slow?

Either you rode a bike that was setup terribly, or you are speaking through your ringpiece.

I'm not even a Pyga fan boy (I'd probably take the trance) but statements like this rings the bell on my BS meter. Nee meneer.

mmmmmm what about an anthem....27.5 of course

If I am reading between the lines, you not feeling confident on your 29er...the thing is 27.5 wheelsize won't automagically increase your confidence and skill level to where you won't fall anymore. The trance and bigger travel pygas are a lot of bike...and by lot of bike I mean their are heavy bastards but oh nelly can they take a beating and save your bacon when your talent runs out...BUT

That applies to you pushing them to a place where they start showing what they are made of. No point in doing XC / Marathon / dirt roadie rides and races with them. 

The Anthem is the do it all, cheap enough, tough enough toyota corolla of the mtb world...It will do most things, comfortably....within reason obviously. If you want one bike to rule them all...it will be the one to have

Edited by rouxtjie