Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

So I limited my activities uploaded to discovery to just over what is required. My points did not rise this week. First time it has not risen since the new points system was introduced

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I limited my activities uploaded to discovery to just over what is required. My points did not rise this week. First time it has not risen since the new points system was introduced

Interesting, think I should do that, mine has been going by 100 each week.

I think its all very random at the moment. I uploaded 1600 points this week - and I see that I am also still on 500 required. No increase.

I was sure I would be upped by 100 points, so was thinking of not uploading any data this week, but I will play nice.

I've done the same. Had to swipe in at the gym yesterday so I could meet (not exceed) my target.

500 again for me this coming week and I'm already on 300 from this morning's ride. Another two card swipes at the gym coming up.

The new Disco plan has claimed it's first victim. My OH was really enjoying her Apple watch and as her work is very time consuming was enjoying the step measuring process, and lost a whole lot of weight and inches. But more importantly, was having fun, hiking and doing things she wasn't doing before.

Well, after trying hard this week, and having a very stressful week, she only managed 100pts on one day while doing at least 7500 steps on the other days, and getting nothing. She now owes money and is thoroughly and totally downcast, as the next month or two are going to be hectic with a new job. She will not run or cycle. She has just gone passed the gym to swipe her card for doing nothing. And if it goes up to more than 500, in the short term, she will probably owe more money, which is a stress at the moment.

Well done, Disco, you have totally alienated precisely the kind of person you were targeting with your program. And those of us who do train, are purposefully reducing our rides, while the cheaters who swipe their card and do nothing are still doing it. Your sliding scale of points is rubbish in it's current form.

Edited by Thor Buttox

The new Disco plan has claimed it's first victim. My OH was really enjoying her Apple watch and as her work is very time consuming was enjoying the step measuring process, and lost a whole lot of weight and inches. But more importantly, was having fun, hiking and doing things she wasn't doing before.

Well, after trying hard this week, and having a very stressful week, she only managed 100pts on one day while doing at least 7500 steps on the other days, and getting nothing. She now owes money and is thoroughly and totally downcast, as the next month or two are going to be hectic with a new job. She will not run or cycle. She has just gone passed the gym to swipe her card for doing nothing. And if it goes up to more than 500, in the short term, she will probably owe more money, which is a stress at the moment.

Well done, Disco, you have totally alienated precisely the kind of person you were targeting with your program. And those of us who do train, are purposefully reducing our rides, while the cheaters who swipe their card and do nothing are still doing it. Your sliding scale of points is rubbish in it's current form.

If you ride for an hour, reset watch to make it two rides of 30, then you both get points. Just load them on two separate garmin accounts.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Same when people go overseas and their garmin account is still logging rides for disco.

Wife is stressed and hectic at work, can't exercise and must pay for watch and somehow it's Discoverys fault? Sounds reasonable enough. These pesky corporates.

Not the point. The changes they have implemented are not having the desired affect, especially not in her, specifically. She was previously participating exactly as she was this last week. Now she is being affected - by not changing something that was working successfully. We (the fit) are already talking about fiddling the system to keep points artificially low. Purely Savage suggests me recording my rides as hers (which I will if I need to). But I am one of those irritating people who thinks things should be thought through properly. And here is one person - a non-athlete who was previously incentivized successfully through T&C's that were reasonable to participate in an exercise that was, and let's not forget this, to the long-term financial benefit of a Medical Aid/Insurance company in terms of reduced medical expenditure, and they have alienated her. There have been other reasonable scalable suggestions on this thread alone about how to scale the points to keep people interested. Pesky corporate indeed.

If you ride for an hour, reset watch to make it two rides of 30, then you both get points. Just load them on two separate garmin accounts.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Same when people go overseas and their garmin account is still logging rides for disco.

Yeah, I thought of doing that, too. :whistling: (Hopefully if enough of us do this, they will get the message, and fix it)

Not the point. The changes they have implemented are not having the desired affect, especially not in her, specifically. She was previously participating exactly as she was this last week.

Surely that IS THE POINT? If she just does what she did last week then she is not making progress and embracing the whole concept of getting and keeping fit.

As Greg leMond said: It never gets easier, you just go faster.

Bur then he also thinks one baller was the only doper who won the tour.

PS: I do not have any understanding of how many steps 7,500 in terms of effort so I could be completely out of line,

Not the point. The changes they have implemented are not having the desired affect, especially not in her, specifically. She was previously participating exactly as she was this last week. Now she is being affected - by not changing something that was working successfully. We (the fit) are already talking about fiddling the system to keep points artificially low. Purely Savage suggests me recording my rides as hers (which I will if I need to). But I am one of those irritating people who thinks things should be thought through properly. And here is one person - a non-athlete who was previously incentivized successfully through T&C's that were reasonable to participate in an exercise that was, and let's not forget this, to the long-term financial benefit of a Medical Aid/Insurance company in terms of reduced medical expenditure, and they have alienated her. There have been other reasonable scalable suggestions on this thread alone about how to scale the points to keep people interested. Pesky corporate indeed.

I thought she didn't exercise last week. How difficult is it to earn 300 points per week considering swiping at gym gets you 100 just for walking in the door? 10,000 steps there's another 100. Actual exercise, possibly another 100. There you go.

I accept the changes are hard to swallow but were necessitated because of members cheating. As for fit folk selectively uploading, so be it I guess. I'm with you there, I upload everything. My aim is to stay fit and not to earn vitality active rewards. Saying that I notice the weekly target remained on 500.

Surely that IS THE POINT? If she just does what she did last week then she is not making progress and embracing the whole concept of getting and keeping fit.

As Greg leMond said: It never gets easier, you just go faster.

Bur then he also thinks one baller was the only doper who won the tour.

PS: I do not have any understanding of how many steps 7,500 in terms of effort so I could be completely out of line,

Actually, as someone who trains up to 2 hours every day, that's EXACTLY what I thought. When I expressed it as such, I was soundly beaten.

The difference is that you or I think, and are incentivised, VERY differently to someone who is not of a sporting nature. She is a creative who at the best of times couldn't give a toss about sport. BUT: those are the folk who aren't normally as healthy or who tend to be, er, (babe, if you ever read this, forgive my poor nuts) not as thin as they may once have been.

Think of a step as half a second - 5000s is an hour and a half of walking about. And she, to her credit, was pushing the walking, not just ambling. She has no ambition to ramp up her training to achieve the burn, or to push it to the max.

And I'd bet most of the average Joe's will just swipe their cards and do nothing. Which is actually making her peed off, cos she enjoys the feeling of achievement in her own small way.

I have an uncle who lost 25kg through the discovery incentive program over the last year.

Now they have changed the goals he only gets 100 points for his walks, regardless of time.

He cannot run due to his knees and back. If his goals gets above 700 it will become impossible for him to meet it.

They should apply their minds for more than 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up to know was not too botherd.... But meeting your goal when injured is tricky.

As some know i had a elbow op with a elbow radial head being replaced by a titanium one...

Its been 4 weeks wince the crash that broke the elbow and 3 weeks since the opp.

Luckly the points for ke dropped from 1200 to 300, but since last week back to 400. Yet every week i have made my goal, gym swipes and 10000 steps. Was allowed to strart running this week which gives me 300 per 5 km. But still not allowed to cycle or swim

Vitality ahould allow you to pause the goal based on a medical certificate.

And I'd bet most of the average Joe's will just swipe their cards and do nothing. Which is actually making her peed off, cos she enjoys the feeling of achievement in her own small way.

AH, but there's the rub. Someone is making money from the swipers. Gym is not free unless they joined before 2009. So they swipe a few times to earn a free drink or 2 a week but PAY to be a member of a gym they are not using.  And they pay to be in the Vitality programme....

Who is the fool? Certainly not Discovery.