Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Wow guys there are way too much negative noise around this. Typical greedy human being behaviour.

No matter how you look at it, the bottom line is this - You pay R600, just to start off with you get - an Ftech shirt (worth at least R500), Your CSA licence (R195). In my books that on it's own is a negative figure for them if you can add up...

And that's WITHOUT the savings in races, that benefit in itself being a market disruption for any club out there. They have always said up to 50% as reiterated so many times on this thread. Off course you will get greater discount for larger races, it makes business sense, something lacking a bit on this thread it seems. The list of events are updated quarterly.

And also calculated WITHOUT the vouchers, so what if you have items already, buy someone else a gift! That's what I'm gonna do.

Let us rather take a step back and realize what's happening here. Vitality is world leading in whatever they do and how many people were against it years ago about it being just a gym benefit etc. Now everyone is doing it!! And saving lots of $$$$. I'm sure all on this thread are either diamond or pearl or whatever status where you have your program. 

As cyclists we should be veeeeery grateful that a large institution like this is starting to see proper value in us cycling miles and miles each day. 10 years ago it was just the Argus and a few others, today it's a massive industry because of these corporates.

Off course there are niggles when launching products. Focus on the positive and read the faq's.

https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/discovery_coza/web/linked_content/pdfs/vitality/team_vitality/team_vitality_faqs.pdf

Regards and safe cycling!

I don't disagree with any of your points but you are naturally going to be a Little biased working for Discovery and all.

Typo

Edited by Ferret69

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with any of your points but you are naturally going to be a Little biased working for Discovery and all.

Typo

I work at Discovery Invest so no bias whatsoever towards Vitality benefits... That's purely from a cyclist point of view, that comes first when deciding on clubs, benefits etc;)

Im mostly angry that they took the 70.3 and full IM off the calendar.

Its not always about direct monetary value, sometimes it is indirect in terms of not costing them in medical payouts for people that are staying fit for long periods of times while doing races.

Wow guys there are way too much negative noise around this. Typical greedy human being behaviour.

Snip

As cyclists we should be veeeeery grateful that a large institution like this is starting to see proper value in us cycling miles and miles each day. 10 years ago it was just the Argus and a few others, today it's a massive industry because of these corporates.

Snip

It's offensive that you a) categorise views conflicting with yours as greedy human behaviour and b) tell us to be grateful a big corporate is hoping on the bandwagon to make money from cycling.

Facts are Discovery has done nothing, I repeat nothing, to stage funrides in this country, organisers have taken the risk and hunted high and low for sponsors.  Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.  Now that cycling is a big sport, Discovery is jumping on the bandwagon, not through sponsorship, but through using the events of others to make money for themselves.

Why not just facilitate more funrides by providing sponsorship funding like Liberty, Momentum, ABSA, FNB, Nedbank and Coronation (to name a few) do?

Sorry, I stand corrected, Google tells me Discovery actually does sponsor one cycling event.

post-35786-0-50359400-1423139586_thumb.jpg

The attraction was the 50% off entries. I already have a club. But when you look at the list they published, almost no Mtb events, especially when the few are spread round the country.

Bad advertising/marketing, and reality is nowhere close.

They should've advertised as join our club !!

And also calculated WITHOUT the vouchers, so what if you have items already, buy someone else a gift! That's what I'm gonna do.

If you would like to use your garmin voucher to buy me a gift it would be much appreciated as the only garmin items currently listed, the cheapest is R6000

Am sure whoever you buy for will be very happy with you forking out R5500 for the gift and using your R500 voucher.  If you do not believe me, here is the link to what is available through team discovery

http://www.garminonline.co.za/vitacycle

Perhaps you should be aware of the facts and understand what is being offered 

As most of us already cycle, we already have a garmin or similar.  If Discovery had more on the list it might be worth considering, especially as they are also targeting runners so one would have thought forerunners would have been on the list which would appeal to both runners and cyclist who cross train, but as currently stands the voucher is not worth the paper it is printed on to most 

Come on chaps. The real issue here is what was advertised, how it was delivered and most important, WHEN it was delivered. Releasing a product of this nature at the end of January means that many people have been holding off renewing subs with existing clubs and paying extra one day license entry fees for events that have opened entry during this first month, holding out to join the Vitality crew and reap the rewards and benefits they have ADVERTISED!

What has been delivered now is not what was promoted and some people will be put out at having paid extra fees for events they have just registered for, and now that the advertised benefits no longer apply they've had to go and renew the subs with those existing clubs anyway!

Edited by Tubehunter

• 4 weeks later...

"No matter how you look at it, the bottom line is this - You pay R600, just to start off with you get - an Ftech shirt (worth at least R500), Your CSA licence (R195). In my books that on it's own is a negative figure for them if you can add up..."

That's if you get your Ftech Shirt.. I joined on the 10th Feb .. Still nothing from them..  

"No matter how you look at it, the bottom line is this - You pay R600, just to start off with you get - an Ftech shirt (worth at least R500), Your CSA licence (R195). In my books that on it's own is a negative figure for them if you can add up..."

That's if you get your Ftech Shirt.. I joined on the 10th Feb .. Still nothing from them..  

I agree. I got my shirt and it actually looks nice. Took around 3 weeks since signing up to get the shirt however.

I agree that Discovery messed up by releasing the product too early. They weren't ready, with almost no events that qualify for the 50% cash back. Also, you qualify for the Vitality points anyway, so no need to join for that. I had a feeling I wasted my R600.

However, I received my shirt and it's a quality product. I then went on a ride with them and got a smoothie and a nice breakfast afterwards. Then I joined them at their hospitality venue after the Argus, and that was awesome. They also handed out a (better than Cycle Tour) goody bag with a bunch of high value items, including digital skipping rope, and mostly full size samples worth at least a couple of 100 bucks.

In my opinion I've got my money's worth already, and with the prospect of having free after race shade, snacks & drinks at future events it can only get better. I'm also pretty sure they'll be adding plenty of events in future. I'm happy...

Edited by Dynamix

Must say, I noticed plenty team vitality shirts in my start group at the Argus... 

I believe that Wines2Whales entries will qualify for a claim back as well.

Would definitely join should this be true!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Team vitality piggybacking on the club100 club rides.  That is actually very cool - race discounts aside it now becomes a good value proposition, so I am in.