Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

1200 points, btw.

And you know what? If you did 2h30 in the gym at 80% you would also get 1200 points.

Nothing about rewarding "couch sitting gym swipers" - if you want points as per the table, get an HR monitor. Otherwise, don't moan about it.

*makes note not to upset the Captain today  :blink:  *

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr KnowItAll

Please have a look at the attached screen shot its 1500 points, maybe you are not capable of vigorous workout so only get 1200 points!

The point is why should I have to waste money on a device that I do not want and possibly in future will not be supported by Discovery as they change the goal posts time and time again?

No, you're right. 1500 points for 2h30 plus @ 80% (something I can do with ease, if I have enough time over the weekend) For some reason I had 1,200 in my mind, probably due to the max points ceiling that the VAR program will require. 

But the point is such: If you don't want an HR monitor like a garmin / polar, or refuse to get one, then don't complain about not being able to get points that are only available if you have an HR monitor that is recognised by the program. 

The reason they want HR data is because it is remarkably simple to just put Strava on without an HR signal, and stick your phone on your passenger seat. Yes, people do this. Did this. 

I am wholeheartedy in favour of widening support for the other devices, and re-opening strava / MMF / etc. IF the companies are able to send data that differentiates between user uploaded and directly recorded data. 

Ag, he's probably just grumpy cos he had to watch the gap jump being mangled at Lombards on Sat. So upset he's getting the points wrong...

I was more upset at some people absolutely mangling that rock garden, and missing 3/4 of it by taking an "inside" line... 

The amount of front wheel landings and almost OTB's was way too high. But fun was had. 

It still amazes me for being rewarded 100 points just for swiping your card at the gym, great incentive for getting "Fit & Healthy". God forbid the weekly points goals reach 800 for those lazy couch potatoes daily swiping their gym cards with only 7 days in a week...the belly bouncers will be at war for not having their weekly dose of smoothies, especially those paying back the money for those apple watches. At least they'll save some petrol/diesel driving to the gym and back. Bring on Friday!

Yeah, really don't get the gym swipe bunch... they think they are clever, but the only one they're really cheating are themselves. Disco could easily start to make them swipe out too in future with a second card reader(a minimun of 45minutes later)... but then they'd probably just eat a pie and have a shower to keep themselves busy  :P

*makes note not to upset the Captain today  :blink:  *

LOL. STILL fecking sick. But in the office 'cos work needs to be done. 

Was working in the garden yesterday and told my OH I should have worn my garmin. Would have been an easy 600 points. 

No, you're right. 1500 points for 2h30 plus @ 80% (something I can do with ease, if I have enough time over the weekend) For some reason I had 1,200 in my mind, probably due to the max points ceiling that the VAR program will require. 

But the point is such: If you don't want an HR monitor like a garmin / polar, or refuse to get one, then don't complain about not being able to get points that are only available if you have an HR monitor that is recognised by the program. 

The reason they want HR data is because it is remarkably simple to just put Strava on without an HR signal, and stick your phone on your passenger seat. Yes, people do this. Did this. 

I am wholeheartedy in favour of widening support for the other devices, and re-opening strava / MMF / etc. IF the companies are able to send data that differentiates between user uploaded and directly recorded data. 

Almost as unethical as Discovery not giving points for real moderate activity..........

Yeah, really don't get the gym swipe bunch... they think they are clever, but the only one they're really cheating are themselves. Disco could easily start to make them swipe out too in future with a second card reader(a minimun of 45minutes later)... but then they'd probably just eat a pie and have a shower to keep themselves busy  :P

Giving away my tactics there, Steer!

As for the swipers - yeah. I know. It's actually really sad. Would be fantastic if all the cardio machines had card readers so you could swipe in and your exercise would be logged to your VA profile and calculated at the end of the session. But then people would probably go to the dreadmill, swipe in, set it for 10kph and let it run for 20 min with their feet on the sides. "I did 20 minutes! Look!"

From what I recall, they (VA & Disco) are looking at ways of tracking whether you actually worked out at gym or not. Couple of uni students at (I think) UCT had a few ideas that they were looking into. 

Read about it about 3 or 4 months ago. 

Moderator activity has never been clearly understood, and can lead to obscure activity deletion.

For Discovery yes.......they seem to only understand things where and when it can benefit them........

Giving away my tactics there, Steer!

As for the swipers - yeah. I know. It's actually really sad. Would be fantastic if all the cardio machines had card readers so you could swipe in and your exercise would be logged to your VA profile and calculated at the end of the session. But then people would probably go to the dreadmill, swipe in, set it for 10kph and let it run for 20 min with their feet on the sides. "I did 20 minutes! Look!"

From what I recall, they (VA & Disco) are looking at ways of tracking whether you actually worked out at gym or not. Couple of uni students at (I think) UCT had a few ideas that they were looking into. 

Read about it about 3 or 4 months ago. 

But I am keen to take a step back......how will most people even fit individuals be able to spend an hour on a treadmill.........

Almost as unethical as Discovery not giving points for real moderate activity..........

Yeah. Look, I know that for the majority of people, hitting 80% of their Age rated max isn't an issue. It's the longer term exercise that shouldn't just be at 80% or 70%. Longer = lower % average requirement. 

Yet to hear whether they're going to be expanding it to allow for the longer efforts. At last, it was an emphatic "NYET"

3 hours at 60%, for example. Should be able to at least get a few more points than 100. In that way, I support what El Sheriff is doing. 

What do you guys that are constantly griping about the same thing want? Do you really believe Disco will pony up, come on here and apologise to you if you're persistent enough to go on and on and on and on and on.... about the heart rate zones and points allocated to these? Or are you wanting Myles to do that on Disco's behalf???? 

The purpose of this thread was to be helpful about Disco's offerings. You have stated your point, it's been addressed multiple times and yet you still keep harping on about the same thing over and over. The system is not perfect, not by a long shot, but it's a benefit that costs no extra money down to join, from the premiums already in place and the rewards mean you get something back! Subscribe or don't subscribe. Those are the choices. And yes, the crew that took up the watch offering should feel bleak that the parameters have changed, but if the watch payment is that important to you to avoid, than do the necessary training, which is not impossible to accomplish! 

But I am keen to take a step back......how will most people even fit individuals be able to spend an hour on a treadmill.........

I'm borderline suicidal after 15... Unless I have some really good tunes on. Even then, stretching it further is like training to withstand water-boarding. It's just not fun. 

I'm borderline suicidal after 15... Unless I have some really good tunes on. Even then, stretching it further is like training to withstand water-boarding. It's just not fun. 

It's not the boredom that make me wonder......it's an hour of running.......

JURA trail run on Sat... ran the 12km in 82minutes, wife in 95minutes... 300 points for me, 600points for her.

Guess I should have done an 8 minute warm down, but man the Carb tent was calling  :blush: