Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

A heads up to those with an active shoe booster...

I received a mail today from TV to say that my 2017 membership (running) has expired, and that they will deduct R350 from my account at the end of February.

There is an opt-out option, but requires sending an email to them.

Their record-keeping is so efficient that they are unable to pick up that I’ve already renewed for 2018, received written confirmation that it’s active, and also shows on the website as active.

Edit: this is my last month on shoe booster, but I’m renewing because I want another pair (of trail running shoes)... n+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a similar question - we were debating it yesterday. I only accepted this last year because it was in effect free with the shoe booster "deposit". Now... if you shoe booster again in a months time, is it again included in that? I would assume so... In which case paying separately is downright stupid.

And with them having little presence in the Cape, the only reason I (and my buddy at work) actually joined was for discount on some races. Both of us belong to other running clubs. 

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had this issue since Jan 2017, it only records about 30% of my activities even though it indicates it has synced. I now send them a mail every month with the missing info and they do it manually but it is a pain in the ass and you loose your smoothie etc.

According to the poor "mushroom" customer services consultant that I just spoke to on the phone, they are aware of an issue with garmin, it has been escalated and there is no ETA for a permanent fix.  She recommended sending a mail through once a week with my workouts until the authorisation error has been fixed.  

GRRRRR

GARMIN SYNC

Every now and then a workout doesn't sync. It's completely random.

I don't even bother getting hold of Vitality.

SHOE BOOSTER

My son has had endless sh!t with shoe booster

Almost a month later it still isn't resolved and the helpdesk people at Vitality are just ****** idiots.

Having a similar question - we were debating it yesterday. I only accepted this last year because it was in effect free with the shoe booster "deposit". Now... if you shoe booster again in a months time, is it again included in that? I would assume so... In which case paying separately is downright stupid.

And with them having little presence in the Cape, the only reason I (and my buddy at work) actually joined was for discount on some races. Both of us belong to other running clubs. 

For those wondering, latest on this is apparently if you do pay for the club, you do not have to pay for the shoe booster activation.

Still is ridiculously easy to get points and get to gold !!

Not really me and the wide maxed out our activity points and had to do almost all the unsessesary tests at a cost.

I don't use credit cards etc. So when looking at it from my perspective it could be a challenge for most people that are slightly less active.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not really me and the wide maxed out our activity points and had to do almost all the unsessesary tests at a cost.

I don't use credit cards etc. So when looking at it from my perspective it could be a challenge for most people that are slightly less active.

We all have to do the tests, that is a given!

Simple... get active!... it is all geared to being active and getting people active!

If you have no inclination to be active then that is your choice....

This really is just old news, to get maximum benefits out of Vitality you have always needed to do the Fitness and Health Assessment, in fact as of 2017 they made it easier to get to Gold by doubling the amount of points you can get for fitness as well as separating the health assessments from the fitness category for points allocation.

I do it every year, and as a Platinum member, TV pays me back more than the cost of the fitness/health assessment in smoothies, shoe booster, race rebates. They basically give me money and free **** to do what I would be doing anyway.

While TV's goal is to improve fitness and activity, for me it simply is a way for me to enjoy what I would be doing and get massive discounts and free **** along the way. At the end of this month I would have paid R700 for a R2400 pair of shoes, that I would have purchased regardless. With or without Vitality, I needed the shoes, they were just kind enough to pay me back 2 grand, and if I consider the R500 shirt you get with the membership and the R900 they paid me back in 2017 for races I would have done anyway it can be aid that they in fact paid me R200 to buy the shoes.

So it really is up to you as to weather or not you CHOOSE to get value from your membership.

So this morning was the first time I've used Polar Beats app to track my ride.

I dont yet have the HR belt.

When it synchs to ios Health App though is just shows as a workout, not a cycling activity.

Also doesnt synch the speed etc. back to the discovery app.

have I missed some setting somewhere ?

Edited by ouzo

When it synchs to ios Health App though is just shows as a workout, not a cycling activity.

Also does synch the speed etc. back to the discovery app.

I think you forgot to ask the actual question

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

MTB Vids: ltstyt.be/@remelehane

So after posting this on saturday I saw there was an option to link the Polar Beats app to the discovery app.

Great I thought, that should fix it.

But it didnt.

After my ride yesterday I was checking to see what was recorded, the discovery app only took teh steps from teh health app and not the workout form the polar app.

also, why is the polar app only writing the ride to the health app as a workout and not a cycle ?

Cyclemeter used to record in on the health app as a cycle, if you look at the data that the health app has received from the polar app it says its a cycle, but in the app itself its just a workout.

as far as I can gather, without a HRM the best way to get points for the workout would for it to be logged as a cycle with an average speed higher than 10 km/h 

what am I doing wrong ?

So after posting this on saturday I saw there was an option to link the Polar Beats app to the discovery app.

Great I thought, that should fix it.

But it didnt.

After my ride yesterday I was checking to see what was recorded, the discovery app only took teh steps from teh health app and not the workout form the polar app.

also, why is the polar app only writing the ride to the health app as a workout and not a cycle ?

Cyclemeter used to record in on the health app as a cycle, if you look at the data that the health app has received from the polar app it says its a cycle, but in the app itself its just a workout.

as far as I can gather, without a HRM the best way to get points for the workout would for it to be logged as a cycle with an average speed higher than 10 km/h 

what am I doing wrong ?

i connect my tickr HR to the samsung health app (android)  for the discovery points, a normal 2hr ride gets 300 points

Discovery Insure, how flippin' long do they take to "score" drives?! Drove up yesterday from PMB back to JHB Souf and from what I know you get a x-star score for 100km consecutive (?) driving. I usually do the trip, as most do, in 2 legs, stopping at Harrismith. Hence, I can get scored twice. But yesterday, I only got scored once. 

Naturally, I turn the BT and GPS on before I set off on my journey. I immediately turn the BT and GPS off as soon as I step out the car. I'm using a Samsung S6 EDGE. 

post-63970-0-87929200-1517819382_thumb.png

post-63970-0-38190900-1517819386_thumb.png

Edited by mecheng89

i connect my tickr HR to the samsung health app (android)  for the discovery points, a normal 2hr ride gets 300 points

that plan is to eventually get the tickr, but budget is non existent right now so it will have to wait.

One would think that after only reaching target once in three months due to injury your target point would drop. Has anyone had their target lowered and if so how did you get that right?

Yes mine sat at 900 and then slowly started to drop by 50 points a week to 650. Now that I have started training again I guess it will start moving back. 

I haven't exercised since 30th October, and my weekly goal is still 900.

It will be another month or so until I can exercise at an intensity to get me any points, let alone hit that target!

Cant be bothered in contacting them and trying to get it changed  :angry:

Link the Polar Beat app to Discovery and get yourself a bluetooth HR belt, then it works just fine.

For some remote reason mine still does not write correctly back to the Health app though, it always shows as steps but that doesn't really phase me as long as I'm getting the points.

Edited by Buff_SA