Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

Just because CSA fleeces us for a license, does not change the fact that 95% of us are there just to spin out the legs and enjoy the fresh air.

It still makes you eligible to be tested....double standards to the max......

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, if your were tested you would have probably received a ban.

If you took the medicine and reported it and applied for a TUE then you would probably have been cleared because you had reason for taking the meds.

But you should not have been riding with a flue/cold. I know it's a lot of money to waste but surely your health is much more important.

Flippin scary stuff..

It begs the question then why do the Epic's official medics then have banned  medicines with them, and if they are handing them out at waterpoints shouldn't they be alerting the user or initiating the TUE?

By the way, I'd  never heard of Advil before, and definitely wasn't going to spend anytime Googling it!

And yes I know, I shouldn't have carried on riding,  but there was not a hope in hell I was going to give up..

Tom

Agreed.

Guys on the podium, and guys that are sponsored: test, get TUE, etc.

Guys finishing a 7 hour 94.7: do not care.

But where do we draw the line?  Do we draw it after the A batch?  After D?  And how do we consistently apply this across races?

Maybe the problem is in the 94.7 marketing.  It's a race -- a serious race with prize money -- at the pointy end, it's a carnival at the back end.  Maybe 94.7 should split between "race" and "grand fondo" and "carnival" events (possibly still on the same day.)

The back end of the 94.7 ignores a bunch of UCI rules on kit and equipment already.  I'm pretty sure the CHOC (and I support CHOC) ice cream bikes aren't UCI compliant.  They might as well ignore WADA.

Everyone on Strava should be tested :P

Agreed.

Guys on the podium, and guys that are sponsored: test, get TUE, etc.

Guys finishing a 7 hour 94.7: do not care.

But where do we draw the line?  Do we draw it after the A batch?  After D?  And how do we consistently apply this across races?

Maybe the problem is in the 94.7 marketing.  It's a race -- a serious race with prize money -- at the pointy end, it's a carnival at the back end.  Maybe 94.7 should split between "race" and "grand fondo" and "carnival" events (possibly still on the same day.)

The back end of the 94.7 ignores a bunch of UCI rules on kit and equipment already.  I'm pretty sure the CHOC (and I support CHOC) ice cream bikes aren't UCI compliant.  They might as well ignore WADA.

They can just draw the line, we have a zillion rules for some of the most arb rubbish it is unbelievable... A Batch sounds good, would cover all the prize money chasers :thumbup:  

The Argus(Cape Town Cycle Tour) is not the Cycle Challenge  ;)

Shows how little interest I actually take from some posts.....UCI 1.1 status....so you can tell your uncle that he would also be governed by the same rules.....

Shows how little interest I actually take from some posts.....UCI 1.1 status....so you can tell your uncle that he would also be governed by the same rules.....

Starting to play the man already... common tactic when one can't debate things on merit   :P

Have a nice day

R-squared, on 05 Feb 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

Short-acting bronchodilators like 'Venteze' (salbutamol) ARE restricted - 1600 mcg (16 puffs) in one day - and only salbutamol can be used.  Long-acting bronchodilators are acceptable - formoterol ('Foradil') to a maximum of 54 mcg / day and salmeterol ('Serevent') if used according manufacturer's recommendations.  Inhaled corticosteroids are fine but no injected or oral are allowed.

No TUE needed for use of standard asthma treatment - just a declaration of use if tested.

I use venteze but only like 1 or perhaps 2 dosis a day.would I be banned?

Starting to play the man already... common tactic when one can't debate things on merit   :P

Have a nice day

Sorry...nice try...not my modus operandi every two minutes....but when I get bored I tend to half read some comments....Cycle Challenge Versus Argus in this case....petty childish or ridiculous analogies for the sake of arguing also barely constitutes any merit....lekker Vrydaggie vir jou....

Edited by BarHugger

Gen, as somebody that has been in the position I can tell you. Withdraw or apply for Emergency treatment TUE.

Now here is a cracker for you, I am highly allergic to bee stings and have been through immunization treatment. I have anti histamine and/or an epi pen with me most of the time.  

Another sport and a long time ago. 

I competed in SA Champs and finished on the podium, it was qualifier for World Champs. As I completed the event I was met by SAIDS and informed to do a drug control. While walking to Doping Control I was stung, in sight of doping control agent. Big dilemma, use any prohibited substances and DQ myself or not? No podium and no World Champs. 

I was lucky enough to be able to complete the doping control quickly enough before the severe reaction began and was then able to administer the required medicine and be monitored by race paramedics.  Tests came back all clean and all is well that ends well. 

I have subsequently be stung in an event took appropriate medical action, got to the nearest support station and informed them I has withdrawing and the reason for the withdrawal.

Anybody that has coughed a lung up for EPIC and are in a similar situation you have a choice. Race or do not race. If you choose to race, get tested and  have a positive without the requisite approvals. You are a doper, intent aside. Them be the rules, harsh or not.

Call yourself doper if you like but your scenarios are not the same as doping.

Doping is intent to cheat

Medicating yourself for quality of life or survival is NOT doping no matter how black and white people wish to paint it

Edited by raptor-22

Flippin scary stuff..

It begs the question then why do the Epic's official medics then have banned  medicines with them, and if they are handing them out at waterpoints shouldn't they be alerting the user or initiating the TUE?

That is a very good question.

Common guys its been made easy enough. Click on the link and put in your medication. It only takes a couple of seconds and you can do it on your phone.

http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/app/

You don't need to know the detailed ingredients of your medication and you don't need a Doctor to help.

checked all my meds and i can say i am not a doper! But i didn't find anything on my dogs bob martins i sometimes take.

Flippin scary stuff..

By the way, I'd  never heard of Advil before, and definitely wasn't going to spend anytime Googling it!

And yes I know, I shouldn't have carried on riding,  but there was not a hope in hell I was going to give up..

Tom

Not sure what they hand out but ultimately its the athletes responsibility to know what he can and cant take. Its the medics responsibility to look after you.

I agree a tho at the time its not possible to check "the list" and your priority is to finish.

Its reasonable to expect that they would not hand out banned medication, but this probably highlights someone else's earlier post about there simply being to much (possibly irrelevant) stuff on the banned list

checked all my meds and i can say i am not a doper! But i didn't find anything on my dogs bob martins i sometimes take.

That drug doesn't even require biological passport anomalies to root out the users. The testers just look for riders with the shiniest coats...

Next time you go to the vet, ask for chewable Rimadyl*. Dogs love that stuff...must be good.

*Use with corticosteroids is apparently not advised...