Two cyclists killed in KZN

Vetseun

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TRAGIC!

As a Durban boy, who has been riding for over 40 years, I have given up riding a road bike. Not enough room on the road for them, they just make you a moving target waiting to be hit. It seems any road will NEVER be broad enough for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians to cohabit cordially.

Will SA ever wake up to the fact that just one lost life is tragic?? We argue about who is in the wrong and who is in the right but the fact of the matter is that we should not condone loss of life regardless! Often, for example, if we were just patient for an ONE extra minute, we would be able to safely negotiate that group of cyclists riding three and four abreast, even though we know that is not the way to ride safely. However, the most often experienced reaction from drivers is to get cross and abusive and to hoot, drive erratically past them, etc. ONE EXTRA MINUTE, NO LOSS OF LIFE.... worth it? In my book, most definitely. It seems, though, that I am in the minority. I do hope this changes...

None of this matters right now, however. Enjoy riding on the other side guys, I am sure it is safer there and I believe the scenery is just spectacular. I pray for strength and peace for your families though, I know what it is like to loose someone close and they will need it.

RIP.

Absolutely tragic! And I'm sure a sad reality check for all of us out there who love being out on the road...

Sincerest condolences to family and friends of the deceased. RIP.

Cold shivers when I passed the scene this morning, driving to work. Very nice gesture of someone who tied a wreath onto the railing of the Broadway Bridge. Can only imagine that it will grow exponentially.

I have been deeply disturbed by this...Perhaps because these two gentlemen, like myself and thousands of other cyclists, took to the roads yesterday morning to do what they / we love - but for them never to return alive. The brutality and total senselessness of these events really is heart-breaking.

RIP fellow cyclists and many many prayers to their families.

This morning a wife woke up without her husband by her side, a child woke up without a dad. Parents lost their sons and siblings lost their brothers.

No words can possibly explain the severity of this loss, or the absolute anguish they are going through now. May God comfort them as only He can, and may everyone else for a moment forget about who should have / could have done what.

Let us all as cyclists be reminded of the fragility of life, and today stand united in grief, each one of use taking a moment to remember the families who lost their loved ones.

Take a moment today people, to remind those people closest to you how much you love them and what they mean to you. You might not have another opportunity.

My thoughts and prayers to all the friends and families. :(

RIP cyclist - this is just heartbreaking 

I was quite irritated with the media reporting on this case...

On RSG this morning they had an interview with some lady and they kept harping on what the cyclists responsibility is, and the fact that the road these two cyclists were using was labelled by the local authorities as "not for cycling"

Absolutely tragic, for everyone.

The South African police and traffic police need to stop thinking that drinking and driving only happens from Dec 15 - Jan 15 every year or over Easter. They need to be a lot more active like the UK police and do roadblocks and breathalyse on a Sunday morning (up till 10am) and not only on a Saturday night.

Get the unlicensed cars off the road and crush them (and make insurance compulsory) . Don't have a valid drivers? Well that's a weekend in chookie for you mate.....Aside from the obvious human loss of life, how much is all of this costing the country from insurance claims to medical bills and loss of earnings.

But its never going to happen as this is Third World Africa....