SRAM introduces 12-speed Eagle drivetrains

News bot

All this rapid pace of development means you need to keep a keen eye on the classifieds, heaps of bargains to be had as the 'latest greatest' okes dispose of their brand new hardly used 1x10//1x11//2x10//3x9//etc stuff :)

All I see are lots of redundant 'left' shifters, triple/double chainblades and FD's for sale ...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will make for a cheap 2 x 1 setup Ben.

Mmmmm need to think about that cause I thought the new 'cool' kids shift their front derailleurs by hand not so?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A question that keeps popping up that I cannot find the answer to is if the Eagle groupset will work with aftermarket chainrings like Absolute Black, Wolftooth, CSIXX etc.

According to SRAM you need their fancy new ring, but according to Absolute Blacks website their standard Narrow Wide ring works with Eagle. 

Has anybody gotten their hands on an Eagle groupset yet to check this?

Edited by Rudi Pollard

A question that keeps popping up that I cannot find the answer to is if the Eagle groupset will work with aftermarket chainrings like Absolute Black, Wolftooth, CSIXX etc.

According to SRAM you need their fancy new ring, but according to Absolute Blacks website their standard Narrow Wide ring works with Eagle. 

You don't NEED their fancy new chainring. That's simply an additional level in the chain retention stakes. If AB says that their rings work with Eagle, then they work with Eagle. They're an established company that would not make that claim without having first tested it out themselves.

You don't NEED their fancy new chainring. That's simply an additional level in the chain retention stakes. If AB says that their rings work with Eagle, then they work with Eagle. They're an established company that would not make that claim without having first tested it out themselves.

What I am actually after is if any 1X NW ring will work and if anyone have tested it.

A prime example of this is the Rotor InPower cranks. I cannot find anything on the interweb and thus asking if anyone has actually tested it in real life.

What I am actually after is if any 1X NW ring will work and if anyone have tested it.

A prime example of this is the Rotor InPower cranks. I cannot find anything on the interweb and thus asking if anyone has actually tested it in real life.

if you're looking for that, then you'll have to wait for the individual companies to release that data, test it yourself, or wait for someone else to test it. Pinkbike is a good place to start. 

That, or email Rotor and ask them. 

:) - I like to ride with my Dad - he can go downhill just fine..... (ok - he straightlines a lot of corners...) but uphill is a bit of a battle for him (he gets there in the end, but feels bad about holding us up)

He did manage to outlast me over the weekend bodysurfing - froze myself stupid in about 45min.... took him another hour to get out the water while I froze on the beach in the wind... the 80+ crowd can be tough.

Wahaaa......Hermanus has (used to have?) those old biddies body-boarding with old school WOODEN boards...come rain or shine, summer or winter.

For the final hardcore cred, they add the pink hoodie with flowers

"Despite SRAM sending James an XX1 Eagle 12-speed drivetrain, James has opted to stick with the 11-speed XX1. One reason is that he is familiar with the set up after racing on it all season, the other is that his ROTOR crankset, chainring and power meter are not yet compatible with the 12-speed technology. James is somewhat of a data geek and relies on the information his power meter provides during races"

From here:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/insight/bike-check-james-reids-olympic-specialized-s-works-epic-r5386?source=topic

"Despite SRAM sending James an XX1 Eagle 12-speed drivetrain, James has opted to stick with the 11-speed XX1. One reason is that he is familiar with the set up after racing on it all season, the other is that his ROTOR crankset, chainring and power meter are not yet compatible with the 12-speed technology. James is somewhat of a data geek and relies on the information his power meter provides during races"

From here:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/insight/bike-check-james-reids-olympic-specialized-s-works-epic-r5386?source=topic

well spotted, bro. 

well spotted, bro. 

Dont know if it is just publicity or if his sponsors can't afford the eagle  :ph34r: but yeah i also thought that was weird.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57b5b63ce64a9/IMG-20160818-WA0018.jpg

Found this pic of sausers bike which looks like a rotor crank with eagle but it's difficult to be 100% sure. He might also be riding a prototype ring for all we know

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm 99% sure that he has standard XX1 due to the following.

Lack of evidence on any social media of him receiving it.

Cassette size and derailleur colour in the pic.

And this pic whereyou can see it's a xx1 shifter.

CoEr8SlWYAA8IEd.jpg

I can confirm that it definately works with Wolftooth. Being tried and tested the last few months already.

Therefore yes I assume they will also work with Absolute black, Sram X-Sync etc.

Wahaaa......Hermanus has (used to have?) those old biddies body-boarding with old school WOODEN boards...come rain or shine, summer or winter.

For the final hardcore cred, they add the pink hoodie with flowers

I think those old biddies are all over the place, we had a group of them in EL who I used to see down at the beach come rain or shine, winter or summer. Those old boards are super cool.