Wahoo Kickr Owners

awesme

Hi Guys.. just ordered the Kickr 4 for the coming winter months, think it will be delivered by Thursday. Quick question. How much effort is it to switch from the quick release to through axle adapter? My wife and I will both be using the Kickr probably 3-4 days per week during the winter. Her bike is quick release and mine through axle. I'd probably be on the Kickr early mornings from 05:00 to 07:00, and she'll probably get on at around 08:00. Is it something that's going to drive me up the walls changing every day? 

It's as much effort as removing your wheel... pop our the thru-axle spacers and replace with the quick release spacers

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys.. just ordered the Kickr 4 for the coming winter months, think it will be delivered by Thursday. Quick question. How much effort is it to switch from the quick release to through axle adapter? My wife and I will both be using the Kickr probably 3-4 days per week during the winter. Her bike is quick release and mine through axle. I'd probably be on the Kickr early mornings from 05:00 to 07:00, and she'll probably get on at around 08:00. Is it something that's going to drive me up the walls changing every day? 

Not sure how you plan on setting it up with Bluetooth/ANT+ but if you do go the ANT+ route, I'd suggest getting an ANT+ dongle and a standard USB extension. You can then leave the dongle under the bike which in my experience prevents any dropouts/lags.

I got mine from Cyborg - they were great.

Buy an old bike that you put on the Kickr permanently and adjust the seat height accordingly .Any cheap Hardtail will do with 2 x10 setup 

Buy an old bike that you put on the Kickr permanently and adjust the seat height accordingly .Any cheap Hardtail will do with 2 x10 setup 

Word of caution... Unless both riders have a very similar build this could lead to some serious injuries. It seems like it's not a big deal, but saddle fore and aft as well as reach and handle bar position is just as important. My wife and I tried it... it didn't work for us and we ended up making sure we train on our own bikes. 

Word of caution... Unless both riders have a very similar build this could lead to some serious injuries. It seems like it's not a big deal, but saddle fore and aft as well as reach and handle bar position is just as important. My wife and I tried it... it didn't work for us and we ended up making sure we train on our own bikes.

Yeah I agree.. not an option for us. Small vs Large frame.

piece of cake... the end caps just pull out of either side and are replaced with the appropriate TA or QR endcap. it's tool-less. But your fingers may get a bit greasy, so use a rag or tissue. I find that getting my TA to align on the trainer a tricky affair - a lot harder than with the rear wheel for some reason. I think it's because the trainer is essentially immovable compared to the bike as it's heavy and I have to manipulate that bike onto the hub, rather than the other way around with the rear wheel, if that makes sense.

however, you might need to change the height of the trainer to account for different wheelsizes if that applies to you - axles should be level, unless you're on a Kickr Climb, then it's a different circus with different monkeys

Just buy another trainer for the wife :D

Haha before I do that, this is finally starting to look like an excuse for "I now need a new roadbike to make both our bikes fit on the trainer"  :whistling:

• 1 month later...

Curios to know if anyone tried taking their Indoor Trainers to the Outdoors, specifically to races to warm up in the parking area next to your vehicle, I often see guys on their rollers. Obviously there wont be electrical power so no power readings? But how is the resistance, is it worthwhile?

In terms of smart trainers i think the tacx neo (Big boy) is able to provide resistance without power.

Best thing to do is get a cheap fluid 2 and a spare rear wheel with a trainer wheel on and transport that around to your races. Smaller, Lighter and ideal and its dumb so nothing to break and a lot cheaper to replace should it get stolen at an event.

Curios to know if anyone tried taking their Indoor Trainers to the Outdoors, specifically to races to warm up in the parking area next to your vehicle, I often see guys on their rollers. Obviously there wont be electrical power so no power readings? But how is the resistance, is it worthwhile?

Taking it to races is only for opening the legs/lungs, you dont want to ride against resistance really. 

You'll start the race feeling flat, if there is too much idle time between warm-up and race

Edited by Jakkals.

Your KICKR is very much a computer and indoors is where it is safe. 

The dust, grass and potentially moisture is just not good for any smart trainer. 

Your KICKR is very much a computer and indoors is where it is safe. 

The dust, grass and potentially moisture is just not good for any smart trainer. 

Plus the thing weighs a ton!

imo, almost pointless.

by the time you get to you start chute, you will be cold again. but also depends how you body reacts, I for 1 cant do the start/stop thing even on training rides. Once my legs cool down, its time to call it quits.