Wahoo Kickr Owners

awesme

But how did you deal with them directly afterwards, and not through the shop you purchased it?

(maybe thats not even a real question and I've just learned something...)

SO my original Kickr warranty went through Cyclelab. Like you I was frustrated and managed to track down the distributor. I spoke to them and they helped me.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riaan in short you have three, uhm sorry, four options :

1) Dumb trainer - wheel on roller - NOISY !!!  And very boring ....

2) Smart trainer - wheel on roller, ie the "Snap" - NOISY !!!   DEAFENING with MTB tires on that roller !!!  Friend has a Snap that he uses with his road bike .... still noisy, but bearable.  It is slower to react than a direct mount unit .... not easy to explain, but you will soon experience it,  Basically you get out the saddle and put down some watts for a sprint, with the wheel-on-roller unit there is a distinct lagg before the software realise that you are now working.  Another niggle with these units is getting the pressure of the roller onto the wheel sorted ... You get slippage when the pressure is not enough, and too much is not good either .....

3) "Core" - Which is what I have.  Now you have "all" the benefits of proper indoor trainer,,, at least thats how you justify the purchase to the minister of finances.  In actual fact you now need another cassette for the trainer, ideally similar to that on your bike, so that the derailure works on the trainer and when you put your wheel back .... which is the other issue with these trainers .... fun taking out the wheel, putting is safely to one side, attach the bike to the trainer, without bumping the derailure ... that is after to washed your bike since the last muddy ride .... I bought a second hand road bike and mounted it permanently in the trainer.  BUT, now you have a bulky thing standing in the room, permanently taking up space ... so for many this is not a long term option.

4) Kickr 4 - everything of "3" above, PLUS .... it comes with a cassette (but I do believe it may be a road cassette... so check out that bit of detail) .... This unit has two main advantages though .... It packs away much smaller and much easier than the Core.  Apparently it can handle much higher power ... as if I am ever going to get there ....  :whistling:

OUCH !!! I just looked at the new prices  :eek:   :cursing:   I was going to say, buy the Core and get done with it ..... then again, having owned a wheel-on-roller trainer .... BUY THE CORE AND GET DONE WITH IT  :thumbup:

All things considered .... I still prefer riding outside, AND I do consider my Core my best ever cycling purchase !!  :thumbup:   :clap:

EDIT - most wheel-on-trainers where made for road bikes, and it often is a tight fit to get a 29'' MTB tire to fit these units .... so if you go this route, first make very sure your bike will fit in the unit.

Many thanks for your input / info! Much appreciated.

Riaan pop in at CWC.  They have a nice Wahoo test unit ....

EDIT - the test unit is all gone ... not sure why, but best to phone and check before driving there if this was your sole reason for going .... pretty sure they will get another test station as soon as stock levels are back to normal ....

Also check prices at Bike Addict.

MOST stores will quote the same recommended prices.  Doubt any will offer decent discounts at this point.  But traditionally Bike Addict used to give a voucher that you could spend on some other stuff, i.e. an Ant+ sensor, etc ...

Edited by ChrisF

this is not a problem with the Kickr's.

Christiaan totally stands behind his product, no matter when where you bought it.

G

But how did you deal with them directly afterwards, and not through the shop you purchased it?

(maybe thats not even a real question and I've just learned something...)

this is not a problem with the Kickr's.

Christiaan totally stands behind his product, no matter when where you bought it.

G

I can't remember if I said it on this thread or another but mine was a problem with the kickr - as in its broken. The thing was vibrating like a jackhammer and sounded like a helicopter. And especially being in an apartment - theres no ways I could use it knowing people are living under us.

I'm not disputing the company nor the distributor, it was amazing when it worked, I'm just (obviously) frustrated with the k@k timing with the lockdown. 

The only thing that makes this product popular & successful even with all its failures is the support from the local distributors. They deserve a lot of credit from both the manufacturers as well as Wahoo owners.

Well done whoever they are :clap:

100% spot on... from the first day I interfaced with Christiaan, owner of : Wahoo Fitness SA ... Ikhambi ... Buycycle, never looked back, good product made great by the local support.

I've got a friend thats been using my one bit the last couple of weeks during lockdown and he's indicated as soon as I'm back he will be buying himself a unit also.

G

The only thing that makes this product popular & successful even with all its failures is the support from the local distributors. They deserve a lot of credit from both the manufacturers as well as Wahoo owners.

Well done whoever they are :clap:

For the life of me I cant figure it out. 

My Stages Left Crank Arm power meter is quite a lot higher than my Wahoo CORE.

I created a Zwift 125w 15 min Custom workout to just hold the resistance on 125w and while the trainer is on that I measure the Stages on my Garmin and there is around a 30-61w higher jumping between 160w and 186w

Stages also dont have a smoothing there so its all over the place on that range

As you can see this is the Zwift chart. The flat lines are when I use the CORE control the Resistance at 125w and measure the watts. The middle section I switch to the Stages measurement to control the CORE and then the last bit back to CORE measurement

post-113195-0-59016600-1591121989_thumb.png

This is just the measures directly to my Garmin from the Stages directly with no other intervention

post-113195-0-92215600-1591122037_thumb.png

Both have been calibrated many times with the results staying the same.

So Wahoo keeps on suggesting you need to just connect your Kickr with the External Power meter yet on Android (Enable "Control with ANT+ Power Meter" option) is not available in the Wahoo app.

Any Suggestions?

Edited by MTB-More

The trick is pic one power meter and use only that. it's all about getting a fttp on a power meter and then doing workouts using that  pwoermeter and make the workout blocks based on that.

G

For the life of me I cant figure it out. 

My Stages Left Crank Arm power meter is quite a lot higher than my Wahoo CORE.

I created a Zwift 125w 15 min Custom workout to just hold the resistance on 125w and while the trainer is on that I measure the Stages on my Garmin and there is around a 30-61w higher jumping between 160w and 186w

Stages also dont have a smoothing there so its all over the place on that range

As you can see this is the Zwift chart. The flat lines are when I use the CORE control the Resistance at 125w and measure the watts. The middle section I switch to the Stages measurement to control the CORE and then the last bit back to CORE measurement

attachicon.gifZwift.PNG

This is just the measures directly to my Garmin from the Stages directly with no other intervention

attachicon.gifGarmin.PNG

So Wahoo keeps on suggesting you need to just connect your Kickr with the External Power meter yet on Android (Enable "Control with ANT+ Power Meter" option) is not available in the Wahoo app.

Any Suggestions?

The difference could be explained by the fact that you’re measuring power at different places; ie, at the crank arm and the rear cassette. There might be a loss of power between the crank and the rear cassette through friction (BB, chain, chain ring, rear derailleur pulleys etc.) the difference may be the loss in power.

similar principle in measuring the power of a car. Power at the flywheel vs. power at the wheels. 

The difference could be explained by the fact that you’re measuring power at different places; ie, at the crank arm and the rear cassette. There might be a loss of power between the crank and the rear cassette through friction (BB, chain, chain ring, rear derailleur pulleys etc.) the difference may be the loss in power.

similar principle in measuring the power of a car. Power at the flywheel vs. power at the wheels. 

Those differences are far too big to be frictional losses though unless some of the bearings are almost seized. You would only expect about 2-5% frictional losses on a drivetrain in reasonably good condition not 25-50%.

... if you were having friction loss then the Kickr at the back would be probably displaying less watt than the stages... as the bearing would cause not all power to get to the PM. 

your Stages / as it works of metal deviation would have reported a higher number. think as per our offline conversation, have that Stages PM tested, could be faulty.

now that we've spoken about the basic hugh number discrepancy, note, they will never be the same... they will be close, and thats as far as comparing the different power readings should be compared. other than that... it's only a measure that only you should use to measure your own effort output and base your own training on.

Think the biggest mistake all of us make is wanting to compare our power output/ftp with other people. use it as a tool to only measure yourself, and base your own training on.

G

Those differences are far too big to be frictional losses though unless some of the bearings are almost seized. You would only expect about 2-5% frictional losses on a drivetrain in reasonably good condition not 25-50%.

... if you were having friction loss then the Kickr at the back would be probably displaying less watt than the stages... as the bearing would cause not all power to get to the PM. 

your Stages / as it works of metal deviation would have reported a higher number. think as per our offline conversation, have that Stages PM tested, could be faulty.

now that we've spoken about the basic hugh number discrepancy, note, they will never be the same... they will be close, and thats as far as comparing the different power readings should be compared. other than that... it's only a measure that only you should use to measure your own effort output and base your own training on.

Think the biggest mistake all of us make is wanting to compare our power output/ftp with other people. use it as a tool to only measure yourself, and base your own training on.

G

100% I just want my outside and inside to be semi comparable. This morning I had a 90w difference on a interval. Sent the fit files to Stages to let me know the best course of action.

Where would one go to have it tested?

Hi MTB-Home

Your unit will be send down to Cpt to Stages there, They the only people that have the required HW to test the unit.

G

100% I just want my outside and inside to be semi comparable. This morning I had a 90w difference on a interval. Sent the fit files to Stages to let me know the best course of action.

Where would one go to have it tested?

Hi MTB-Home

Your unit will be send down to Cpt to Stages there, They the only people that have the required HW to test the unit.

G

Ok thanks. Will give Omnico a call as they are the official partner for Stages in SA

you can call them, but they will want you to drop it off at a local store thats a client of their's... they don't deal directly with the public/consumer.

G

Ok thanks. Will give Omnico a call as they are the official partner for Stages in SA