Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

On the topic of tool quality.

What is the opinion of Martlet power tools? I can hardly find any info online. From what I gather it's of Chinese origin and simply branded differently in different markets?

I looked at their table saw, it looked rather sturdy with a decent fence. Anyone know of these things?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure tbh, I would have to check later.

No haven't tried hilti drills, only hilti product I have used is that red handle thing for knocking nails into a wall 

SDS is the Bee's Knees if you can't afford Hilti. I looked at Hilti also before I purchased my Bosch SDS drill, but the price made my eyes water.

:)

Sorry, I probably was not clear enough.  If you have a SDS drill, (I have a corded Makita), get the Hilti drill bits.  I recently bought a combo pack (12 bits) from them for around R 550 - delivery included).  They come with:

Unique warranty feature: The drill bit will be replaced in the event of breakage - so long as the wear mark on the helix is visible

https://www.hilti.co.za/3555330

On the topic of tool quality.

What is the opinion of Martlet power tools? I can hardly find any info online. From what I gather it's of Chinese origin and simply branded differently in different markets?

I looked at their table saw, it looked rather sturdy with a decent fence. Anyone know of these things?

I don't like the Martlet stuff. As you say, they are general Chinese stuff that is just imported, and then overpriced by Rutherford.

If you want a table saw, save your money or sell one of your MTBs and buy a Sawstop or Powermatic from BPM.

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/collections/sawstop/products/sawstop-professional-cabinet-saw-250mm-3hp-36-fence-and-table

Edited by Moridin

I don't like the Martlet stuff. As you say, they are general Chinese stuff that is just imported, and then overpriced by Rutherford.

If you want a table saw, save your money or sell one of your MTBs and buy a Sawstop or Powermatic from BPM.

https://www.toolcraft.co.za/collections/sawstop/products/sawstop-professional-cabinet-saw-250mm-3hp-36-fence-and-table

R80k is unfortunately a lot for a diy enthusiast.

I was actually looking at the sawstop contractors saw at half the price, which is still pretty expensive.

I currently have  a very nice Chinese made table saw. Very nice fence. But the motor is underpowered and the cast iron tops ain't exactly flat.

I have been eyeing that Sawstop for a while. Whenever my wife looks the other way, it will be in my garage. This will most probably be after I bought her a carbon dual sus 29er, and she is still feeling too giddy and guilty to notice.  :ph34r:

Edited by Moridin

R80k is unfortunately a lot for a diy enthusiast.

I was actually looking at the sawstop contractors saw at half the price, which is still pretty expensive.

You must look at it as an investment. Today, most old Olivers and Deltas are fetching very good prices on the second-hand machine market. Especially the Olivers.

Don't think ill ever see those tools in the shed. Bar lottery win or finding old one that I can refurbish. R80k will definitely not be standing around in my immediate future.

You must look at it as an investment. Today, most old Olivers and Deltas are fetching very good prices on the second-hand machine market. Especially the Olivers.

Indeed it is an investment...especially since I am planning on doing something semi-commercial in a few years (10-20) from now.

but for the sake financial constraint: what would be the next best lower down on the pricing scale? While I would love a cabinet makers table saw, I just can't justify spending that much on a single item, yet.

but for the sake financial constraint: what would be the next best lower down on the pricing scale? While I would love a cabinet makers table saw, I just can't justify spending that much on a single item, yet.

Although it is far off a proper table saw, I bought a second hand Triton Workbench fitted with a Makita 5903 saw (for a ridiculous price). I can do all types of cuts, but it does require a bit of effort because the fence is not installed on a slider system, can't fit a dado and the work surface is only about 700 x 600 mm. This solution would cost you about R 15 000.

But if you intend to do some semi-commercial work, I suggest you take the plunge and buy the Jet.