Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a carpentry appy in Pretoria, if anyone knows one. Needs to be able to work unsupervised, training will be provided if needed, mainly bandsawing and sanding work (braindead monotonous work in other words), pay is crap, no benefits and a cranky boss.

I'm looking for a carpentry appy in Pretoria, if anyone knows one. Needs to be able to work unsupervised, training will be provided if needed, mainly bandsawing and sanding work (braindead monotonous work in other words), pay is crap, no benefits and a cranky boss.

Throw in a free company bike and you might just get a taker here! :ph34r:  ;)

So the steel wool you just leave in the container with the vinegar and bleach? Does it corrode or something and add to the mixture? Or do you brush it on with the wool?

It looks really good.

The steel wool dissolves/corrodes and makes for a rather funky smelling mix. I top it up with vinegar every now and add steelwool.

ad051174124a7241fc256f380aa26e56.jpg

6635886421813c1e714202e772883528.jpg

When I first made the mix, nothing really happened, I then read somewhere to add some bleach to kickstart the reaction, about a cap full did the trick.

Brush it on to wet the wood, leave it in the sun to dry, light sanding, and it's ready for your favorite sealer.

Is it a fairly fast change or does it happen over a longer time?

The Red Ivory memory box I made for my wife lives inside out of direct sun so that may be a factor and was a slow process. The cheese board made from Maple and Purple Heart gets washed and took a beating. However the off cuts in the workshop faded slowly. There may be a process to seal the colour in but I have looked and it is common consensus from wood workers around the world that the colour fades. A light sanding revives the colour if that helps.

Edit. I forgot to add, the inside of that Red Ivory box has faded very little so I suspect its just a light thing.

Edited by Plentipotential

The Red Ivory memory box I made for my wife lives inside out of direct sun so that may be a factor and was a slow process. The cheese board made from Maple and Purple Heart gets washed and took a beating. However the off cuts in the workshop faded slowly. There may be a process to seal the colour in but I have looked and it is common consensus from wood workers around the world that the colour fades. A light sanding revives the colour if that helps.

Edit. I forgot to add, the inside of that Red Ivory box has faded very little so I suspect its just a light thing.

good old fashioned UV light being the cause

good old fashioned UV light being the cause

All red pigments are are somewhat unstable and tend to fade faster than most when exposed to UV. This is true for naturally occurring pigments in wood as well as for synthetic pigments in paint. Titanium oxide, the white pigment in toothpaste and paint, is the most stable. Just in case you have to choose between a red and a white bike.

(Red, of course, everyone knows, is faster, even when it comes to fading) 

All red pigments are are somewhat unstable and tend to fade faster than most when exposed to UV. This is true for naturally occurring pigments in wood as well as for synthetic pigments in paint. Titanium oxide, the white pigment in toothpaste and paint, is the most stable. Just in case you have to choose between a red and a white bike.

(Red, of course, everyone knows, is faster, even when it comes to fading)

Luckily my bike is red!

Do you know why Bubinga (African Rosewood) turn darker over time?

Sometimes the changing colour of wood is due to oxidation.

Emboya has a beautiful colour when planed but it changes within 1/2hour.

I know its probably useless information but I finally figured out what the plane is that Im restoring.

Its a Stanley defiance range. It was a lower end range produced from 1939 - 1953 and was made in the USA.

The defiance name apparently comes from some disagreement with manufacturing in England at the time.

This is a pic from someone that has restored one to a condition way better than it was produced!!

attachicon.gifdefiance.jpg

Looks exactly like the ones we used in woodwork at school, some 24 years ago[emoji33] [emoji15] . Getting freaking old now

Hou die rubber op die grond!

FLIPPEN JEALOUS !!!

no water in the cape for a greenhouse :( :( :(

Ja swaar. And things don't look good for next dry season. Already lost around 10 shrubs and half the lawn in my garden. I want to redo my front garden, but there is no point if I can't give it the watery love it needs to survive the summer.  :mellow:

In other news: I think I am going to save some money up to buy a Sawstop Cabinet Saw. I know it is a lot of money, but I have 2 boys that also want to start using the table saw, and I fear that they don't have the needed respect yet for that machine. As most young boys, they are quite gung ho.  :wacko: